• fredsnail
    fredsnail Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 July 2018 at 9:49PM
    Options
    Here's this week's chart:

MDLHSuB.jpg
    Congrats to our SoTM and SoTW Dannie - keep going everyone:j

If anyone wants to do the 5lb challenge next month please let me know.

Here's this weeks chart for our exercise challenge.

HPDR4pG.jpg

Next months challenge will be to complete 31.32 miles - the same distance as a Triathalon.

"Go after your dream, no matter how unattainable others think it is."
  • fredsnail
    Options
    1.2lbs Gain this week.

I'm only 1.6lbs down from my starting weight at the beginning og the year. I'm eating okay and excercising, so getting frustrated not seeing results now.

Have you tried having a week where you eat more than normal (healthy version though - not lots of cakes ;) ) it might just be enough to make your body lose some more when you go back to normal.
  • Chickabiddybex
    Chickabiddybex Posts: 1,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer Savvy Shopper!
    edited 26 July 2018 at 10:16AM
    Options
    fredsnail wrote: »
    Have you tried having a week where you eat more than normal (healthy version though - not lots of cakes ;) ) it might just be enough to make your body lose some more when you go back to normal.

This is the strangest advice... I could understand if someone had been losing a lot and had plateaued but not in this case.

Sometimes we eat or drink more than we think. If simply eating healthier in general isn't working, I think it's worth tracking your food intake with an app such as My Fitness Pal or even writing it down and seeing how many calories you are eating. If your weight stays the same in that week then you need to lower the calories a bit. If your weight drops, keep it the same. (and obiously lower too if your weight increases)

Edit: Also I noticed the way you said "I'm eating okay" which didn't sound very confident. So I get the feeling you're not 100% sure if you are or not. Another great reason to track what you eat so you know for sure :)

Another edit: sorry I just remembered why I came in here in the first place! Ok so it's hot and we're all feeling it, so having an ice lolly is a big temptation. But there's good news - there are loads of lollies out there that are delicious but only 60 calories! That's far less than most other snacks, even the ones marketed as being super low calorie (such as those scrummy Fibre One cake things or Alpen Lights etc) My favourite ones are:
    Mini milks 30cal (so you can have 2!)
    Rowntrees Watermelon 60cal (my favourites)
    Fruit Pastille 58cal
    Apple and Strawberry ones from Iceland 60cal (with real chunks of strawberries!)

Then you have Fabs (82) and Twisters (76) which are a little more but you're more likely to see them at an ice cream van so I thought I'd include those. They're still lower than the lowest cereal bars and in this weather I know what I'd rather snack on!

Sure, they do have sugar in them, and not a lot of other nutritional value, but the same goes for most snacks. As long as you eat nutritional meals then you can allow stuff like this.

PS a few scoops of Halo Top ice cream (or Breyers or similar low cal ice cream) mixed with fresh raspberries is TO DIE FOR honestly it's so nice! And so cold and refreshing. And feels lo naughty to eat. But you can have a whole quarter of a tub (vanilla flavour) and it's only 70 calories! Really feels like a proper desert and cools you down too.

No, I don't work for "big ice cream" I'm just a very warm Brit who wants to cool down and keep trim :)
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • fredsnail
    Options
    Might seem strange advice to you, but when people exercise a lot quite often they put their body into a larger calorie deficit than it can cope with to function properly so the body goes into famine mode and stores everything meaning you don't lose weight.

You sometimes need to eat more to persuade it to realise it's not in famine mode and lose the weight.

Works for several people I know but as with everything everyone is different and what works for some does not work for others.
  • fredsnail
    Options
    Meant to say thanks for the ice cream tips. I freeze some sugar free squash or fruit teas for a cheap sugar free cooler :)
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Edit: Also I noticed the way you said "I'm eating okay" which didn't sound very confident. So I get the feeling you're not 100% sure if you are or not. Another great reason to track what you eat so you know for sure :)
    By ‘okay’ I meant I am eating okay. Generally healthy, as opposed to eating clean, but not badly.
    I have museli for breakfast (weighed), salad or soup for lunch.
    Dinner is a protein with salad or rice and veg.
    I have 2 snacks a day - fruit bar and one of those fruit and nut packs from Aldi.
    Occasionally dinner will be a pizza or a bigger portioned roast. Which is why I said ‘okay’ rather than good.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • x_raphael_xx
    Options
    This is the strangest advice... I could understand if someone had been losing a lot and had plateaued but not in this case.
    I’ve lost 24 lbs so far, I’m not quite sure what you mean by ‘in this case’? Have you been personally tracking my journey?

A plateau is certainly possible if, like Fred suggested, I have been under eating for my calorie expenditure.

• Chickabiddybex
    Chickabiddybex Posts: 1,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    "I'm only 1.6lbs down from my starting weight at the beginning of the year"

I haven't tracked your progress, no. I assumed you had maintained or lost very slowly over the last 7 months. I was only referring to those months, not your weight loss journey as a whole.

Please don't get the impression that I don't think you have lost a lot in general, because from what you've told me now, you definitely have :)
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    + 2lbs since last Wednesday. Diet was very similar to the previous week but exercise more varied than the usually done i.e. emptied another compost bin so sorted compost put on the garden. Also, used some dumbbells for upper body exercise.

For the month of July 2018, the outdoor bike miles recorded were 54.7 miles.

Thanks for everything last month fredsnail. Not decided what to do this month yet.
  • x_raphael_xx
    Options
    2.8 lbs gain this week. Thanks to Mum feeding me during my holiday.

I'm trying out the Insanity workout again. I tried it a while back and lasted a week! I'm hoping to maybe get to the end of week 2 this time.
    Going to start counting my calories again too. Hopefully will see some results soon.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts