Implications of your child earning income from YouTube

Does anyone know what are implications in terms of Tax, Tax Credits and Benefits if your 15 years old child starts earning income from YouTube?

Let's say earning are cc. £500 a month.

Does the child need to do a Tax Return?
How will that effect the Tax Credits that child's parents receive?
How does it effect Housing Benefit?

Did anyone encounter these circumstances?

Comments

• Children have the same tax allowances as adults.

Won't impact on Housing Benefit or Tax Credits as it is the child's income and not the benefit claimant.
    I enjoy flower arranging, kittens, devil worship, the study of serial killers and their methods and road kill jigsaws.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    You need to provide proof that the child is not being used to "front" income earned by others . Make sure everything is documented properly from the start and their earnings are paid to an account in their name
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Thank you for replying.

Do you know if it will impact Child Tax Credit?
    Since obviously, that child is on that credit
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Will your child turn 16 before 5th April 2019 i.e. before end of current tax year ?

Just thinking that if the child turns 16 before end of tax year, then this might be an issue ?
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Thank you for replying.

Do you know if it will impact Child Tax Credit?
    Since obviously, that child is on that credit

As already said, it doesn't impact on tax credits. It's not the child claiming the benefit, it's you. Tax credits is based on your income (and your partners if you have one) not your child's.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,195 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    There are some age requirements on youtube, so those will need to be checked as well otherwise the income may have to go via the parent's account.

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/2533300?hl=en-GB
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Pixiedust22
    Pixiedust22 Posts: 25 Forumite
    I don't know the answer but just wanted to say that's pretty awesome for a 15 year old, well done to your child!
  • Yup, that's been done... linked to an approved adsense account. But, paid into child's bank account and obviously Youtube channel run by him...
  • As already said, it doesn't impact on tax credits. It's not the child claiming the benefit, it's you. Tax credits is based on your income (and your partners if you have one) not your child's.
    I hope this is true... And interestingly you are right, they never ask about income of your children, only of your partner.

So, I'm assuming, earning income, doesn't make the child non-dependant or anything like that.
  • I don't know the answer but just wanted to say that's pretty awesome for a 15 year old, well done to your child!

Oh, to my understanding lots of kids are making money on YouTube now-days. But, todate I haven't come across a case online that shows how to deal with that income as in my circumstances...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure