Early-retirement wannabe

Comments

• JoeEngland
    JoeEngland Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    jamesd wrote: »
    I'm grateful that I was a respondent to the survey that preceded them. I was able to explain how the GAD limit was low early on when it needed to be high and say that if they wanted me to increase pension contributions they should stop forcing me to use non-pension money to get a level income throughout retirement. They delivered, though I'll never know how much of a role that feedback played.

Big thanks in case your feedback played a role! It's refreshing that people are given personal responsibility instead of being treated like naughty children.
  • Marine_life
    Marine_life Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • JoeEngland

If the 4% rule doesn't factor in SP then it's clearly a flawed number. My retirement plan is based on reducing drawdown on savings and DC pensions by the same amount as SP once I reach 67 and get paid SP.
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My husband gets £20k Pension now and I will get £10k Pension at 60.
    We have about £10k income from properties
    We will have about £70k in a DC scheme in 3 years when I am 55.
    Assume the 4% rule doesn't apply to us. Not sure if there is a formula to use in my circumstances to decide when to retire.
    Money SPENDING Expert

• gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    JoeEngland wrote: »
    once I reach 67 and get paid SP.

Assuming Brexit doesn't bankrupt HMG such that they means test state pension. "Saved some money up? Great, spend that first, and then try your luck again as there is no more money."

I have £0 in my plan for state pension as anything else is blind optimism.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • JoeEngland
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    Assuming Brexit doesn't bankrupt HMG such that they means test state pension. "Saved some money up? Great, spend that first, and then try your luck again as there is no more money."

I have £0 in my plan for state pension as anything else is blind optimism.

I'm not going to get into an argument about Brexit, but take your point. Besides, we don't know what could happen to SP in the future without Brexit, just as I don't know if I'll live to 67.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    bluenose1 wrote: »
    Assume the 4% rule doesn't apply to us. Not sure if there is a formula to use in my circumstances to decide when to retire.

The 4% "rule" applies to any money you intend to draw down from an amount that you want to last indefinitely. In your case you likely would plan to run it down to "fill the gap between age 55 and your £10k DB pension aged 60 so you wont be using the 4% rule.

The "formula" is not exactly brain surgery, just add your DB + SP plus whatever you think you need to burn down from your "pension pot" (which may include personal pension, ISAs and other savings) .

A few lines in a spreadsheet or if thats too difficult, on a bit of paper. One line per year, showing the different amounts coming in
    eg

aged 55 £20k DB + £10k rent + say £10k from DC = £40k.
    aged 56 £20k DB + £10k rent + say £10k from DC = £40k.
    aged 57 £20k DB + £10k rent + say £10k from DC = £40k.
    aged 58 £20k DB + £10k rent + say £10k from DC = £40k.
    aged 59 £20k DB + £10k rent + say £10k from DC* = £40k.
    aged 60 £20k DB + £10k rent + £10k DB =£40k
    etc
    and at age 67
    aged 67 £20k DB + £10k rent + £10k DB + SP1 ?£8k + SP2 ?£8k = £56k

Is £40k enough to live on aged 55? If so you can retire. If not, you cant. Or you can "semi retire" and take part time jobs. Add those into the numbers.

*That leaves you £20k in DC as a fall back, eg 5 years at £10k out.
  • Marine_life
    Marine_life Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    bluenose1 wrote: »

The 4% rule is aimed at those who are relying mainly on investments to meet their retirement needs and the uncertainty that entails.

In your case if your pensions income is from defined benefit pensions that adjust with inflation then your calculation is more about understanding your expenses and whether your secure income sources meet those needs. Your DC pension pot will probably form only a small portion of your retirement income.
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • OldMusicGuy
    OldMusicGuy Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I personally wouldn't trust the 4% rule over a 30 year retirement based on what has happened in the past, because there are some pretty big societal and economic shifts looming. However, I think it's a really useful guide number to help get an idea of what size of DC pot you need to retire and I wish I'd known about it earlier.

I'm using a bucket strategy in retirement rather than any form of safe withdrawal rate but that suits my very risk-averse nature. One of the most important things I have learned is to find both investment and decumulation strategies that suit your psychological makeup.
  • blisteringblue
    blisteringblue Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    While that is true OMG the markets already fear the worst, so in my opinion they have already factored in hard brexit. Anything better than that and I don't think it will be a bad as we fear. OK there won't be 30% gains for a few years but I'm happy with a few % personally.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback