PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbours Petrol Pump

I had previously posted (lots of views, no comments) about a disused petrol pump on a neighbours property that had been flagged up in our environment survey as a contamination risk. The plot thickens...

So, the vendor has responded to our solicitor's enquiries to say that the pump is very much still in use by the owner of the property to fill up his racing car. Solicitor has said this is now more of a problem than if it was a disused one. I have a bad feeling about whether there are any controls over this pump - it all sounds a bit 'relaxed'. The property is very tucked away in a hamlet with no 'through traffic' so not something that would get easily noticed.

I imagine our mortgage company will have some concerns and we're leaving it with the solicitor for now to find out more but does anyone know what rules and regulations a private pump owner would need to adhere to. Would a supplier (assuming there is some sort of tanker which comes and fills it up) have to confirm it was safe/maintained/registered before delivering. We're so close on this lovely house but this sounds like bad news!!

Comments

• pinklady21
    pinklady21 Posts: 870 Forumite
    I have seen red diesel pumps on farms, but these are usually well away from other properties, in a farmyard or suchlike.
    Have yet to come across a petrol pump in a residential house though! Sorry not to be of more help, but very curious as how it pans out.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    We live next door to a fire station that has a diesel tank (above ground) adjacent to our boundary. They use it to fuel the engines.
    Our surveyor never mentioned it when we moved in and I don't worry about it now.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Various statutory controls but I suspect no guarantee that anyone is checking for leaks etc. Whoever fills it can't realistically test underground stuff while they're there.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,642 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If it is an above ground tank it is likely to be surrounded by a bund wall, if underground, then if there is a leak in the tank, it will depend on how the tank has been installed.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I think I'd be more worried about the the risk of fire/explosion, than contaminated land.

Anyway, it sounds like these HSE regulations might apply:
    http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/petrol-storage-club-association.htm

The HSE regs say:
    If you wish to store more than 30 litres of petrol and up to a maximum of 275 litres of petrol at your home or premises you need to follow the legal requirements for doing this, which are:
    • You should notify your local Petroleum Enforcement Authority in writing,

Also, based on the HSE regs...
    chou-chou wrote: »
    So, the vendor has responded to our solicitor's enquiries to say that the pump is very much still in use by the owner of the property to fill up his racing car.

... it sounds like he's breaking the HSE rules:

If you are storing up to 275 litres of petrol at any of these premises then you should be aware of the common storage requirements for these amounts, which are as follows:
    • petrol is not dispensed (ie it is not pumped either manually or electrically from a storage tank) at your storage place
  • pimento wrote: »
    We live next door to a fire station that has a diesel tank (above ground) adjacent to our boundary. They use it to fuel the engines.
    Our surveyor never mentioned it when we moved in and I don't worry about it now.

I think I would be more confident that the Fire Service were properly checking and maintaining such a tank than I would that some guy filling up his racing car was.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    How far away is the neighbour?

If he does get in trouble or is forced to get rid of the pump/petrol, it might not be the best start in neighbourly relations when you move in!
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport