PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Vendor Forced Me To Exchange - Help

Comments

• Georgedunn
    Georgedunn Posts: 27 Forumite
    csgohan4 wrote: »

Your a high earner and you depending on Help to buy is in itself evident of your poor grasp of finances. You do know you will likely be paying back more than you get from the HTB scheme.

Certainly not dependent on the help to buy at all, was always my intention to cut outgoings once mortgage was approved. Using the help to buy is just allowing me to get further up the ladder. By having 2 lodgers who are in effect paying my mortgage it will allow me to pay off the £110k loan from Help To Buy in 2/3 years.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Georgedunn wrote: »
    Certainly not dependent on the help to buy at all, was always my intention to cut outgoings once mortgage was approved. Using the help to buy is just allowing me to get further up the ladder. By having 2 lodgers who are in effect paying my mortgage it will allow me to pay off the £110k loan from Help To Buy in 2/3 years.

So each of your lodgers is paying upwards of £2k per month for a bedroom?
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    dunroving wrote: »

For that kind of money I could rent a nice apartment in a nice part of London al to myself, no thanks OP
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Georgedunn

No, £1,200 a month mortgage ( Santander at 1.49%), each lodger is paying £600 a month which is the going rate for a room in Milton Keynes. Bills are then split 3 ways, so in effect I am paying 1/3 of bills to live in this property.
  • dunroving
    Georgedunn wrote: »
    No, £1,200 a month mortgage ( Santander at 1.49%), each lodger is paying £600 a month which is the going rate for a room in Milton Keynes. Bills are then split 3 ways, so in effect I am paying 1/3 of bills to live in this property.

My A-level maths is deserting me.

How will each of them paying £600 per month pay off a £110k loan in 2-3 years? Even an interest-free loan would take monthly payments of £3,056 to pay off in 3 years . I can't see any way you are netting that amount. Never mind the fact that at the start of the loan there is £1,639 per year in interest to pay.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Georgedunn
    My A-level maths is deserting me.

How will each of them paying £600 per month pay off a £110k loan in 2-3 years? Even an interest-free loan would take monthly payments of £3,056 to pay off in 3 years . I can't see any way you are netting that amount. Never mind the fact that at the start of the loan there is £1,639 per year in interest to pay.

Apologies, didn't explain it correctly. They will in effect be paying my £1,200 a month mortgage, I will then be able to save more to pay off this £110k Help To Buy.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    You know the rent a room scheme rental income is only up to £7,500pa (not each) then you're paying tax?
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Asl77c
    Asl77c Posts: 87 Forumite
    You do realise that you have posted on a public forum, with your full name and job, and now are essentially saying you are going to take part in tax evasion by your mates paying cash? That!!!8217;s the impression I get from this. Not the best idea.........
  • dunroving
    hazyjo wrote: »
    You know the rent a room scheme rental income is only up to £7,500pa (not each) then you're paying tax?

Or should be ... OP seems to have other ideas about his mate's cash payments. I can see this thread taking a whole different turn.

People in glass houses and all that.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Oh dear. I guess paying tax is for the little people...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure