Giving notice when you've worked there less than a month

As I said in another thread, I've just started work in a day nursery and I'm not enjoying it and am trying to decide whether to stick with it until Sept and then look for a job in Sept (schools) or just cut my losses and leave asap as I think I'm going to have real trouble getting time off work for interviews.
I haven't signed (or seen) a contract yet. The gov website said that after a month of employment you have to give one week's notice - does that mean you don't have to give any notice if you haven't worked there for a month yet?

Comments

• nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 May 2018 at 7:18PM
    No, you stil have to give notice - you may need them for a reference.

It would appear the dilemma AI/ bot is back.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Yes you've read it right - no notice within first month, most won't try and keep someone clearly unhappy in the first month. (been there)

I had a rarity the other day of 10 working days notice for an interview (boy is that a rarity) on the day I hear I'm unsuccessful in an application that did require next day interview, two more come along by end of day that offer notice on next interviews so it was just as well I got the practise in! (Currently job seeking whilst in work)

All the best.
  • MrsNibbles
    MrsNibbles Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    nicechap wrote: »
    No, you stil have to give notice - you may need them for a reference.

It would appear the dilemma AI/ bot is back.

Yeah, I know I shouldn't but I was thinking of just leaving this off the CV altogether and doing some supply TA work instead. I imagine I'll stick it out for a few months though. Just wanted to get my facts straight if I feel I can't stay.
    I feel a bit guilty as they took a chance on me and paid the agency finding fee and now I'm a week in and not enjiying it but then again it was their choice to use an agency.

Not sure what the dilemma AI/bot comment is about?
  • MrsNibbles
    Yes you've read it right - no notice within first month, most won't try and keep someone clearly unhappy in the first month. (been there)

I had a rarity the other day of 10 working days notice for an interview (boy is that a rarity) on the day I hear I'm unsuccessful in an application that did require next day interview, two more come along by end of day that offer notice on next interviews so it was just as well I got the practise in! (Currently job seeking whilst in work)

All the best.

I'm worried if I stay there that I'll see a job I want to go for, and they've gone on and on about how hard it is to book holiday due to staff ratios and not having more than one person off etc etc, and I won't be able to get the time off for interview or I'll feel I have to throw a sicky or something which I'd really hate.
  • nicechap
    MrsNibbles wrote: »
    Yeah, I know I shouldn't but I was thinking of just leaving this off the CV altogether and doing some supply TA work instead. I imagine I'll stick it out for a few months though. Just wanted to get my facts straight if I feel I can't stay.
    I feel a bit guilty as they took a chance on me and paid the agency finding fee and now I'm a week in and not enjiying it but then again it was their choice to use an agency.

Not sure what the dilemma AI/bot comment is about?

If you genuinely stick around long enough, you ll understand about the AI/bot.

The other life coaching aspect to your dilemma is, do you really want to leave young children without any help one day as you ve just jacked it in?
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • MrsNibbles
    No, and if they're reasonable I'll be reasonable but I wanted to know my rights in case they decide to try and take advantage. I'm not the sort to walk out on a job but I feel the need to understand where I stand just in case.
  • nicechap
    I see on your other thread you re claiming to be a teacher rather than a TA, I m out now.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    MrsNibbles wrote: »
    No, and if they're reasonable I'll be reasonable but I wanted to know my rights in case they decide to try and take advantage. I'm not the sort to walk out on a job but I feel the need to understand where I stand just in case.

Basically you have no rights unless you are discriminated against for sexuality, disability etc
  • nicechap wrote: »
    I see on your other thread you re claiming to be a teacher rather than a TA, I m out now.

A qualified teacher who has been out of teaching for a while is very likely to take on supply TA work.
  • suki1964 wrote: »
    Basically you have no rights unless you are discriminated against for sexuality, disability etc

She's asking about her right to walk out without notice. You are talking about her rights to be given notice or remain in work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure