TV Licence article Discussion

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    The amount of letters TVL have sent me over the years the postage alone would have covered at least one years worth of licence. :D
  • Cornucopia wrote: »
    In particular, I'd like to see:-

- Communication that was honest and transparent, and sent at a more rational frequency than the existing monthly missives which are a pointless waste of resources.

- Legal compliance with the letter and the spirit of all relevant legislation and legal principles.

- Proper consideration of what steps need to be taken by the Courts to ensure justice in every TV Licensing case.

- Removal of cash incentives from TVL doorsteppers.

- Removal of pointless contracts with third parties to hand-deliver TVL calling cards.

To borrow a line from Buddy Holly, That'll be the day. :)
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    If we're still talking about the option to watch, say DVDs on a TV without requiring a Licence to do so, then that is what is technically known as a Lacuna. (Which is what the law calls the things that most people know as a "loophole").

Literally, lacuna means "gap". So it is a gap in the law (where no law applies) that is presumed intentional.

A loophole, by contrast is technically an unintended issue with the law, and I don't believe for one moment (given the sheer amount of detail involved) that the "non-Broadcast" lacuna is/was anything other than intentional.
    A fair point. And an interesting one.
    I'll accept, then, that I meant a Lacuna or a gap.
    Do you agree, though, that using a VPN to hide your browser history isn't a loophole or a Lacuna?
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 18 April 2018 at 1:02PM
    Do you agree, though, that using a VPN to hide your browser history isn't a loophole or a Lacuna?

TBH, from my point of view, it's irrelevant. If you are legally Licence-free, it won't stop TV Licensing from harassing you, and if you are an evader, it won't stop them from prosecuting you. It's not illegal to do, though, and there are no "conspiracy" or "aiding and abetting" offences related to Licence Fee evasion, despite some of the rants you may see on the Internet suggesting that there are.

As I've said fairly often on these threads, most TVL prosecutions are based upon confession evidence - documented through fair or foul means depending on the householder's legal knowledge, their physical heft and the demeanour and desperation of the TVL person.

The policy of the BBC is that the TVL interview-under-caution-on-the-doorstep is fundamentally an adversarial encounter. (I've not seen it stated anywhere conclusively in PACE that this is not the case, though all the case law and the minutiae of the codes suggests that it is not). The upshot of which is that TVL staff are given a lot of (too much) discretion in being able to do whatever is necessary to document a confession. That certainly includes bullying and deceit, for which there is ample evidence.

At the same time, the law can protect those who know their rights. For example: I seem to have successfully triggered a permanent ban of TVL from my premises by the BBC, even though they say elsewhere (and often) that such a thing is not even possible. I've done that by little more than being an assertive nuisance, whilst carrying on my life free of the Licence, watching video-on-demand and catch-up. At present, the only practical anti-TVL measures that I have taken are the detuning of my TV, lack of aerial connection, and the deletion of the iPlayer app. I used to have an IP block on BBC addresses, but have deleted that now that iPlayer requires a BBC ID.

So, we have the unfortunate situation where an innocent householder can be prosecuted by not standing up for themselves (and sometimes even if they do), whilst an Evader can evade with impunity by applying their legal rights (the application, if not the objective, being totally acceptable).

This is what happens when a organisation operates for its own interests rather than the public interest.
  • mbmonty
    mbmonty Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I was visiting a female friend in a temporary housing facilty not long ago, whilst I was waiting in reception a very tall TVL goon and his "assistant" got into a secure area by flashing his pass.

I took issue with this and raised it with the manager as everyone there had been deemed as vulnerable under provisions of Housing Act, the way the rooms are laid out means the door opens right onto a bedroom.

Whilst there a chap from singles side heard conversation and told me he had been harassed by the same TVL Goon, said he would not identify himself and pushed himself into doorway so he could not shut his door.

I encouraged him to make a formal complaint there and then, while I was waiting a lady came into reception saying the goon had been agressive to her, put his foot in her door and was very intimidating.

The manager asked her to make complaint, they had CCTV (the whole place is covered).

Later the Housing Association running the centre decided on a blanket ban on all TVL staff, they told them they could leave any comms for a particular room in reception and no access would be provided to secure areas.

Apparently TVL complained to head office but they have kept the ban in force.

I considered this to be a great result, I did not know that goon but I have met loads over the years, even when I registered /NoTV so now I do not bother to register, I figure they will come anyway.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 April 2018 at 3:59PM
    cw18 wrote: »
    My understanding is that is IS an offence, however.....

Incredibly rare
    A Royal Mail spokesman admits it's unlikely prosecutions could be brought, simply because of the difficulty of getting evidence. Furthermore, he's not aware of anyone having been prosecuted for throwing misdelivered mail away.
    The reported cases of prosecutions for tampering with the mail are incredibly rare, and involve rogue postmen.
    A couple of years back I rented for a few months and was opening the mail one day when I opened mail in error addressed to a previous tenant. I should imagine this happens quite often especially given the increase in renters. Nor would I be surprised if many just ditched anything opened in error. It's a bit embarrassing if you have inadvertently seen private information. I should imagine that this sort of thing would be very difficult to police and prosecute.
    Normally I would sellotape back up and return to sender with a note on the envelope. However it was a debt collection agency and I realised I had sent several of these back unopened marked 'addressee not known'.
    Was glad I had opened it. I rung the agency and that was the last of it. Might have had bailiffs at the door otherwise :(
    Also in the same property I received the summary of a case meeting relating to the mental health of a neighbour - the envelope had been wrongly addressed. Rather than hand it to him and embarrass us both, I patched it up and returned it to the sender with a note of the correct address so that they could re-send. ;)
  • pineapple wrote: »
    I rung the agency and that was the last of it.

Many moons (and one address) ago, I rang a DCA, who had sent a letter to a previous tenant, to tell them he no longer lived there.

The guy on the other end wouldn't listen, and snarled "You're lying. I know you're the person we're looking for!"

I just put the phone down.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 April 2018 at 10:17PM
    Sorry Bob, but I've never even had a colour TV, so have no idea how much I've saved, although obviously that wasn't the motivation!

So obviously I'd have no problems with a visit. As they don't know my name I'd just react as I would to any other such visitor at my door and tell them we're not interested and close the door.

I'd be fascinated to know what wording or script they use in such circumstances, as they have nothing to go by. "Can I see your TV licence" and similar are very stupid ones to which we both know the answer. "We have reason to believe you are watching TV without a licence" would be a lie.

Having mail addressed to 'The Occupier' makes sorting of junk mail a lot easier..

Incidentally, the previous occupant to me left many debts with resulting mail following on for 3 years, all of which I RTS. I only had to open one mail which didn't have a return address on it; it was a court summons for non payment of a rail fare, and he'd given his old address. A quick call and the matter was sorted as far as I was concerned.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Many moons (and one address) ago, I rang a DCA, who had sent a letter to a previous tenant, to tell them he no longer lived there.

The guy on the other end wouldn't listen, and snarled "You're lying. I know you're the person we're looking for!"

I just put the phone down.
    Maybe you just sound dodgy!
    :rotfl:
  • I'd be fascinated to know what wording or script they use in such circumstances, as they have nothing to go by.

The "script" the latest one used, when he visited me was:-

"Hiya".

"What are you taking my photograph for?"

"You know that's illegal?"

"Can I ask you why you're taking my photograph?"

"Are you the occupier sir?"

"I'll phone the police."

You'll notice it was a rather one-sided conversation. :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing