Mortgage free by 2021?!

Comments

• Ah I just do the story missions so I haven't ventured into the training plan bits yet, sounds like you need that plus a stop watch too.
    Mortgage Apr 18 £417,894 BTL Mar 18 £162,857
    Mortgage now -- £350,085 BTL now --- £162,668
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Just a quick bit about the ZR main app. You can unlock an episode for free every 6 days obviously doesn't help if you are running very frequently but might work for occasional run or if you start now will have a few unlocked by the time you finish the 5k training app and can decide if want all the features.

Ah, yeah, I'd forgotten that they unlock things gradually. I'd probably be fine with that, really, as I'm also happy to just go out with some music and no zombies if I'm waiting on another mission to unlock. (I only got through 3 missions on season 1 last time, apparently!)
    I have been lurking on your thread for a long time now and really following your progress. I'm originally from near Offaly and the cost of living there is so much lower than where I am now (London) and obviously other parts of the country are cheaper again. Not sure it's enough to convince me to move home just yet (or ever) though :rotfl: especially when reading some of the hassle you had with the move.

Oh, nice to meet someone who's on a similar (if opposite) journey. :) I'm still amazed at the COL differences...our rent is probably similar to our mortgage payment (once you factor in exchange rate), but this is a 3-bed detached on 1/2 acre (that's probably 10% bigger than our house), whereas our house is a 3-bed townhouse with about 50sq m as a garden. And even with DH flying back and forth to London I think we're spending much less on "commuting" costs. (I don't even want to know what we'd be paying for rent in London these days...our friends live in a 2bed in zone 3 and I think they're paying something like £1,450/mo now, and their flat is a dump because the landlord refuses to fix anything.)

I think we'd rank our move much higher if it weren't for the internet. I was so confident that I'd researched things and knew how/when we could get faster internet, so finding out that even going through those steps (as stupidly painful as they were!) didn't do any good...that's annoying, especially as we're renting here for 2 years. Literally every other house within 1/4 mile is setup for 100Mb fibre but because there isn't an exchange box on the telephone pole outside our house, we can't get it. :( (Until the infrastructure gods smile on us and hook up a box, but that seems unlikely just for 1 house.)

Still, at least we know that now, and can be more aware of the options for when we move again. We're still debating buying a site and building vs buying something already in place, and my big fear of building our own is all the hassle in getting decent internet hooked up.
  • hiddenshadow
    FloppyDisk wrote: »
    Ah I just do the story missions so I haven't ventured into the training plan bits yet, sounds like you need that plus a stop watch too.

I haven't tried the training plans within the main ZR app, the 5k stuff is a separate app entirely. So far (fingers crossed) no extra equipment required. :)
  • hiddenshadow
    Quiet weekend here...I've been dragging all week since I was ill on Monday night. No running, barely any walking (my leg's been weak/sore). I had to skip riding yesterday, which was extra disappointing because I wanted to try a longer lesson than I've been doing. :( And now it's Sunday night again, and I still feel exhausted facing the work week.

Trying to be kind to myself about all of this, given I can't control it and have done everything I can to be easy on myself, but it's hard. DH is off to London this week as well, so I hope I'm less tired by the time he goes.

We were going to explore a different county today to see what it looks like as a possible place to move, but it's been super windy and rainy so we didn't fancy driving all over the place. Fingers crossed next weekend is better weather.
  • Hope the leg feels better soon. Can you rest up this week at all?
  • hiddenshadow
    Not really, when DH is in London and I'm on my own with the pets. I may skip working in our new office (as it's upstairs) so that I don't have to navigate them myself or shepherd the old dog down them (he's been falling on them lately).

I'm still using a crutch today around the house, but I am a bit better than yesterday. Fingers crossed I'm more improved tomorrow.
  • hiddenshadow
    Personal
    • Health/exercise: Horse riding 3/3 Counting this as a win even though I only went twice...rode for an hour instead of 30min this weekend
    • Health/exercise: ZR5K Week 4 made it through week 2 before fatigue hit
    • US Trip: Look into flights booked flights and everything!

Financial
    • Mortgage balance: £103,847.46/£103,855
    • Sell the house: Draft letter to tenants (who asked for first right of refusal) done...it's complicated
    • 2018 Rent: €6,350/€6,350

Career
    • Research current positions to figure out what sort of raise to request currently on hold due to work chaos

Pretty good month overall, with a few less-than-ideal bits.

Health-wise, I lost over a week with severe fatigue. I skipped riding last weekend, but kept with it this weekend. I didn't expect to be able to manage a 60 minute lesson, but somehow it worked. (Quite sore today, though! Rode the squirrelly mare again and she was very distracted and bolt-y...it was a fun ride, but wow are my shoulders/seatbones sore today.)

US trip - figured out dates that work with our holiday allowances and my parents and went ahead and booked it. Missed out on a possible discount in the meantime, but still paid a decent amount...just over 2x what my mother paid for her solo ticket to visit us next month, and April is a more popular time to travel than February.

House sale - we contacted the tenants last week, hoping they would reply to us directly. Instead, they replied via the estate agents, so they're now aware of the situation. (Possibly not an issue, but I wouldn't be surprised if they claimed they're owed sales fees for us selling to the tenants.) It's likely irrelevant, as the tenants apparently aren't in a position to get a mortgage for at least a year due to being self-employed. They're still eager to buy, but want to explore a rent-to-own arrangement until they can get a mortgage. We're not sure how that will work, how long they would want it to run, and what sort of situation we'd be in at the end of it...we'll investigate a bit this week, but I think the most likely outcome will be that we sell to someone else at the end of the tenancy. Bit disappointing as it would be nice and simple to just sign paperwork with tenants and be done.

Work has been super chaotic, upper management is shuffling things around and re-organising the team. No idea when performance reviews will even happen, but if the chaos doesn't settle down in the next few weeks I'm likely to job hunt anyway, so perhaps the review/raise discussion is irrelevant.

Our clingy/needy cat has disappeared. :( He usually goes out for about 5 minutes at a time, just wandering around the front/back of the house, but we haven't seen him for over two weeks. There's still hope that he'll turn up again, but I'm not confident. (As a silver lining, management cat is blossoming as an only cat, she's really turning into a people cat! By her standards, anyway, lol.)

We went exploring this weekend to see potential areas for us to live in...quite pleased with what we saw, both existing properties (€100-200k, depending on size/location) and land for building (€20-80k, again depending on size/location). Not sure yet which direction we'll go, but it's nice to have options. (Though the downside to that is that I want to go house shopping RIGHT NOW.) Have also chatted with our bank here regarding a mortgage (in case the timing makes more sense to get a mortgage here for a year and then pay it off with house proceeds)...we would need a 20% deposit to secure a mortgage, but should be able to qualify for up to €400k (even including our current rent/mortgage payments but not rental income...bit shocking.)

Also met up with a potential new friend this weekend...she has a sheep farm and is looking to get into spinning yarn. As we're both new to it, we had a nice chat about learning how it works, farming, life in Ireland, etc. We'll be going to a day-long course next weekend which should be a lot of fun.

Overall I'd say a neutral start to the year...if clingy cat returns, I'd upgrade that to quite satisfactory. Who knows, he has 3 days to turn January around. ;) (Odd as we spent the majority of our interactions with him yelling at him to give us personal space, but once he's not around constantly bugging you for cuddleses you miss it.)
  • hiddenshadow
    January OPs: £0.00

Current (offset) balance: £103,847.46
    Month we’d be in to get to our current balance without OPs: August 2027 (+1 month)

2018 Overpayments: £0.00
    2018 Interest Saved: £0.00

Total Overpayments/Offsets: £68,918.78
    Total Interest Saved: £55,727.46

Daily Interest: £6.85 (down £0.06)
    Monthly Interest: £211.96 (up £5.19) <-- more stupid 31 day months!
    January 2017 Interest: £256.82 (down £44.86)
    January 2017 Daily Interest: £8.28 (down £1.43)

House Bricks: 1

Mortgage reduction: £798/£104,646 (0%) (Average: £798.23/mo)

Bit sad to not break 4 figures, but that's what pausing OPs will do.

Net worth increase: £25,553/£150,000 (17%) + €571/€20,000 (2%)

No miracles here re: the sudden increase on the UK side, DH just finally got around to checking the value of his pensions after 6 months. :rotfl:

MFIT-4: £55,652/£90,000 (61%)

Out of the green for the first time this quarter. :( Should catch up later this year though!
  • hiddenshadow
    Personal
    • Health/exercise: Horse riding 0/4 bit ambitious based on January!
    • Health/exercise: Zombies Run Week 4 this is only 2 weeks but I'd rather ride than run if I only have energy for one thing

Financial
    • Mortgage balance: £103,055 tempted to get this below £103,000 but will be good and follow the budget
    • Sell the house: Investigate rent-to-own option
    • 2018 Rent: €7,500

Career
    • Look for a new job work is not showing any signs of improving...had thought about staying through 2018 in case we need a mortgage but...not worth the stress/aggravation...not in a rush on this, but may as well start seeing what's out there
  • hiddenshadow
    edited 7 March 2018 at 8:35PM
    February OPs: £0.00

Current (offset) balance: £103,054.42
    Month we'd be in to get to our current balance without OPs: November 2027 (+3 months)

2018 Overpayments: £0.00
    2018 Interest Saved: £0.00

Total Overpayments/Offsets: £68,918.78
    Total Interest Saved: £55,727.46

Daily Interest: £6.80 (down £0.05)
    Monthly Interest: £210.25 (down £1.71)
    February 2017 Interest: £225.58 (down £15.33)
    February 2017 Daily Interest: £8.06 (down £1.25)

House Bricks: 1

Mortgage reduction: £2,386.02/£104,646 (2%) (Average: £795.34/mo)

Edging closer to 5 figures!

Net worth increase: £25,981/£150,000 (17%) + €3,709/€20,000 (18%)

Making steady progress here. :)

MFIT-4: £57,240/£90,000 (63%)

Making steady progress here as well. :)

Goals

Personal
    • Health/exercise: Horse riding 4/4 Success!
    • Health/exercise: Zombies Run Week 4 Week 3

Financial
    • Mortgage balance: £103,054.42/£103,055
    • Sell the house: Investigate rent-to-own option Done
    • 2018 Rent: !!!8364;7,500/!!!8364;7,500

Career
    • Look for a new job In progress
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing