Money Moral Dilemma: Should we contribute to our neighbour's fence?

Options
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
They asked if we minded them replacing the very old wire fence between our gardens with a wooden fence. We said no - and my husband even offered to help put the new fence up. They then said they'd like us to contribute £100 (it apparently cost £350). Shouldn't they have told us this upfront?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If you can afford it and you get on well with the neighbours then yes.

If you can't afford it due to circumstances then politely decline, keeping the offer to contribute with labour.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Surely it depends on who us legally responsible for maintaining the boundary on the relevant side?
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • tripled
    tripled Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it's your fence, in the interest of good neighbourly relations, I'd make a contribution. However, if it's their fence, then I'd politely decline.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes they probably should have cleared the cost aspect at the beginning but then again, perhaps you should have offered from the outset. Often such discussions feel awkward and people leave the discussion with different assumptions.

In any case, under normal circumstances, a brand new fence and good neighbour relations is well worth £100.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dunroving wrote: »
    Surely it depends on who us legally responsible for maintaining the boundary on the relevant side?

The boundary can be marked by string or any reliable method used by Hansel and Gretel.

Ownership of a fence is different. It belongs to the person that paid for it.

Some deeds mention walls and fences, but most mention boundary.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • julie777
    Options
    1) A fence is usually the responsibility and property of one party, it would be unusual to have a fence of shared ownership surely?

2) You will be saving them more than £100 by doing the work for them so they are being extremely cheeky imho.
  • XRAT
    XRAT Posts: 239 Forumite
    Options
    Tell them you'd like a new car, and you'd like them to pay for it, see what their reaction is! (If it's their fence, you will have no right of ownership over it.) Paying would set a bad precedent, if the fence blows down a week later would you pay for it again?
    If the existing fence is yours let them erect a fence next to it. If you allow them to put their fence in place of yours, on your boundary, you create a dispute over ownership.
    Try selling your house then!
  • REJP
    REJP Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your deeds should point out which boundary fence is yours and which is your neighbours.
    In my case I am responsible for the fence on my Northern side of the property.
    The South side is my neighbours. If the North side needs replacing it is my expense. South is my neighbours problem.
    However, my neighbour wanted to build a fence which from design would offer me more benefit than the existing fence, so I happily contributed towards it.
    In the original post we are not told whose boundary the fence is on. If the boundary belongs to the original poster he or she is getting a bargain at £100.
    If not, then the neighbour should have been open and honest about charging for a fence on his boundary.
    So it depends on how well you want to get on with your neighbour in the future. We are not told how high the fence is either. In some cases high fences cause tensions between neighbours. Your local council will tell you how high a fence can be, often 1 metre at the front of the property and 2 metres at the rear. The heights are different if you put in a living fence i.e., hedge etc.
    Most neighbour arguments I dealt with when working involved fences more than anything else.
  • I got into a fence dilemma a few years ago. I checked our housing deeds after my neighbour out of the blue presented me with an (IMO overpriced) quote for a new fence and posts between our gardens. The deed stated that boundary walls are legally a joint responsibility to maintain a good standard. However he was only replacing them for cosmetic reasons - he was getting the other fences done and decided to re-do our boundary at the same time, even though it was completely sound, and all but I think 2 panels were only 3 or 4 years old.

I stated that I was not legally obligated to contribute as the fence was not in need of repair at all, and that I had not been consulted over the price (he'd already booked the contractor). He even had the nerve to hint that he could take me to court!

As a gesture of good will, I donated a sum to cover the 2 panels which were looking a bit worn.

In regards to the original question, if the property deeds state equal responsibility for a party wall, then its my understanding that both property owners are jointly responsible, though both parties really need to agree on the terms before any work is carried out.
  • bagby
    bagby Posts: 828 Forumite
    Options
    Well it would be nice to contribute if you can but if totally strapped for cash explain this to neighbours - if I was putting up the fence and neighbours couldn’t contribute I would still out the fence up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure