My year of living dangerously

Options

Comments

• in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Hello, I’m tagging along for what i’m Sure will be an inspirational, to me, journey. I’m sure the progress will be as impressive as on the last diary
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • 24ta
    24ta Posts: 220 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Delurking to say new diary sounds exciting.

Good luck with your journey.

Subscribed
  • Homegrown0
    Homegrown0 Posts: 1,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Delighted to come on here and read this DIA - I think if you're going to do this, now is the time. And you have the motivation to persevere and succeed :) Carving out this new lifestyle for yourself is a fantastic opportunity and i wish you all the very best with it.

I'll be here cheering you on and offering my thoughts when you need it, as always :)

So pleased for you.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    So many kind and encouraging responses! Thank you all. :T

After stating my intentions I began to feel a little scared but I have recovered. The year will be a great opportunity to redesign my life and get it more in line with what I think I want (who knows until you get there)

The main focus once I no longer have a paid job is my creative work. I have won various things for this work. It is what I should be doing, but I have never been able to carve out a living from it when I had a mortgage. Being DF and MF gives me the best chance of being able to do this. ;)

The house getting fixed up is also important as I want to move in the next few years (hopefully next year)

I am going to the Swedish store tomorrow to buy a decent office chair. I will also buy a plant and a rug too. I already have fairy lights and a lovely lap-blanket. The idea is to create an environment I am comfortable in and will enjoy being in to encourage me to WFH. I need to WFH to save time and money and I have plenty of room, so this is the best option.

The plan is to practice WFH on my project over the Easter holiday break.

So my weekend goal is to create an office zone

Happy weekend everyone
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Good luck with creating your office zone this weekend. It sounds like it's going to be both practical and comfortable.

I'm always in slight awe of those who work from home and make a success of it. I know I'd be useless- I'd keep stopping to make coffee and never get going!:rotfl:

Have a good weekend.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good luck :)
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • Sunshine_girl2
    Sunshine_girl2 Posts: 2,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Your plans for the forthcoming year sound wonderful. Being able to do what you love and hopefully make a living from it would be great. Hope The Swedish store gets you a chair, plant and a rug.
    Debt free April 26th 2021

• doingitanyway
    Options
    Good luck with creating your office zone this weekend. It sounds like it's going to be both practical and comfortable.

I'm always in slight awe of those who work from home and make a success of it. I know I'd be useless- I'd keep stopping to make coffee and never get going!:rotfl:

Have a good weekend.
    Thanks SSG. I am good at WFH in my paid work but when working for myself I struggle, but I am going to train myself to WFH when working for myself. I won't have much to live on so I can't afford fares, coffees etc that inevitably get spent when I work out of the house. I have until August to get into the habit :)
    jwil wrote: »
    Good luck :)
    Thanks JWIL :)
    Your plans for the forthcoming year sound wonderful. Being able to do what you love and hopefully make a living from it would be great. Hope The Swedish store gets you a chair, plant and a rug.
    Thanks sunshine girl2. I don't know if I can do it but I am giving it my best shot. Items purchased ;)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    edited 14 April 2019 at 5:25PM
    Options
    So I have the working zone set up. I found the Swedish Store's chair in the bargain bit. It was £120 down to £84. I got talking with a staff member and asked if I could have it for £70? She said yes! Pleased with that :)

My food/household shopping is out of control AGAIN. :eek: I have managed to avoid MnS so it could be worse. I need to keep my food/household shopping reined in when I stop paid work. This is a big expense for me and I've never really got on top of it. :o I'm setting a budget of £35 a week for all food and household stuff.

I managed to overspend in L1dl! I checked the bill and it is the deli counter doing me in. Falafels for £2 for 9 for example. Some nice wine...Even in L1d1 you need to watch what you pick up....

I have been thinking about protein sources to base meals on. I am going to try meal planning like this:

White or red meat
    Fish
    Chickpeas
    Lentils
    Beans
    Eggs
    Nuts

Giving the new food/household budget a go for the rest of April to see if it is realistic or not.

Happy Sunday everyone :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    I was in the office today. I took in lunch but I still I paid £2.75 for a piece of cake, £2.20 for a coffee and £7.40 in fares = £12.35. Not great I know…:o Thankfully tomorrow I WFH so a NSD.

Today I found out that if I save a week’s leave I can push my redundancy to the next thousand. So I will be doing that.

It was hard today. Low, low, moral all round. :(

I need to start getting quotes again. It stresses me out getting people in and I’m already stressed with work but I need to bite the bullet.

Tomorrow my frogs will be:
      Ask 2 neighbours if they can recommend a floor sander
        Phone the recommended plumber to get my first quote for the bathroom.

Welcome to the week.
        Hope you are all doing okay :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
        Buffer fund 0/200
      This discussion has been closed.
      Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
      • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
      • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
      • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
      • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
      • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills