Home-made cakes thread 2

Comments

• lisa26_2
    lisa26_2 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    AnnieH, can you tell me if there's any difference except in looks between a Kenwood Chef mixer and a K-Mix? My old hand mixer is really struggling these days and I want to buy a stand mixer to replace it.

Amazon have a White Chef Classic with an 800 watt motor for £168 whereas the http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-KMX54-Stand-Mixer-Peppercorn/dp/B0014IOAK8/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1309458897&sr=1-2 is £230 and its motor is only 500 watt.

I realise the K-Mix is a much more attractive machine but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money.

Grateful for any views. :)

Oops, something went wrong - the second link is a K Mix.

I'm going to buy one in the next couple of days and I'm going for the kenwood chef over the K-mix. wWith the k-mix you're deffo paying for it being pretty as the chef is much more powerful. Also, not sure if you can get attachments for the K-mix but for the chef you can get pasta maker/mincer/sausage maker/grinder etc so much more versatile!

Annie, thanks for the advice on the plant pot. Wll give it a go!!
  • cherydee
    cherydee Posts: 752 Forumite
    AnnieH wrote: »
    I had to adjust the beater on my Kmix as it didn't get to the bottom of the bowl. Shame you don't have time to play with it first, as it'd give time to iron these things out. I love mine. I've made sugarpaste from scratch in it, and it's half the price of shop bought

Just looking at it, the beater seems to be about ¼ inch from the bottom...so thats probably ok (I think) Trying to be gentle with the splashguard as keep thinking I'm going to be too rough with it and break it.

Thinking about getting the roto cutter attachment as I like making soups...you can also buy it with or without the fruit press, so will work out if getting a good deal buying them together
  • I am loving it...Please post how to make it....
    "iWedPlanner", a must need wedding planner app
  • cookiedough38
    cookiedough38 Posts: 830 Forumite
    I had a trial run for my daughter's 3rd birthday cake today, let me know what you think.

Myphonepics1stjuly1504.jpgMyphonepics1stjuly1505.jpgMyphonepics1stjuly1507.jpg
    Debt free wannabe
    Littlewoods - £214.82 (DD set up so 0%)
    Very - £100 (0% on BNPL - 1/4/13)
    CC - £2600/£3533.53 (0% until 1/6/14)
  • juniee
    juniee Posts: 90 Forumite
    My daughter's cupcakes
    Strawberry chocolate dips
    DSCF7756.jpg
    DSCF7760.jpg

Baby shower cupcakes
    DSCF7775.jpg

ita a girl!
    DSCF7780.jpg

ita a boy!

DSCF7787.jpg

juniee
  • cherydee
    cherydee Posts: 752 Forumite
    After some advice ladies please...busy making some choc chip cupcakes for my grandsons 4th birthday party tomorrow. Bought some Mickey & Minnie rice paper toppers...which do you think will give the best effect putting them onto glace icing (just plain icing sugar/water) or do a vanilla buttercream...apparently they look clearer on a white background....so no good doing chocolate topping !
  • awesome2_2
    awesome2_2 Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    cherydee wrote: »
    After some advice ladies please...busy making some choc chip cupcakes for my grandsons 4th birthday party tomorrow. Bought some Mickey & Minnie rice paper toppers...which do you think will give the best effect putting them onto glace icing (just plain icing sugar/water) or do a vanilla buttercream...apparently they look clearer on a white background....so no good doing chocolate topping !

Hi Cherrydee

Are they big ones or small ones? If they are small think I would go for buttercream purley because thye would be eaiser to place and move around if they are not quite right.

HTH
  • awesome2_2
    Golden Anemone

Your cakes look lovely can I ask where you got the decoration for the wedding cake from?

TIA
  • awesome2_2
    I had a trial run for my daughter's 3rd birthday cake today, let me know what you think.

Myphonepics1stjuly1504.jpgMyphonepics1stjuly1505.jpgMyphonepics1stjuly1507.jpg

Hi Cookiedough

This cake is really cute I love your little figures you make are the paw prints and the letters from cutters? I am sure she will love it
  • awesome2 wrote: »
    Hi Cookiedough

This cake is really cute I love your little figures you make are the paw prints and the letters from cutters? I am sure she will love it

Hi thank you :) the letters are from cutters but the paw prints are from anything I could find that was a circle! The little ones are the tip of a piping bag. The teeny bit of the paw is one end and the bigger bit is the other end!
    Debt free wannabe
    Littlewoods - £214.82 (DD set up so 0%)
    Very - £100 (0% on BNPL - 1/4/13)
    CC - £2600/£3533.53 (0% until 1/6/14)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business