“Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.”

Options

Comments

• jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Glad it's all in now. Hope you see some savings on your bills too.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • teafor2
    teafor2 Posts: 3,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning WB :) Blimey, you've had a lot going on over the weekend and it sounds like a fair few eggs have been cracked to make your omelette, as the saying goes. :o

Is any of the downstairs flooring replaceable or will you have to have new? If anybody can get rid of all the dust it's you ;)

Hope you all have a lovely week. xx
  • WannabeFree
    Options
    Afternoon

Everyone's in school. Managed to make it to my own appointments so hoping some improvements there.

I won't find a match for the flooring tea I've had it down 6 years and it was second hand then. I won't afford to replace it with flooring so will probably aim towards cheap carpet like the smalls have in their rooms and fitting it myself will save a lot. Although I fit the flooring myself too. Will have to wait and see what happens. It's just concrete now. Which feels dirty and cold!

No more plans now until school run. Lasagne sorted for dinner and the smalls can make garlic flatbread to go with it when they're home.

Hope you all have a good day

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • teafor2
    teafor2 Posts: 3,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's a shame about the flooring. Maybe a carpet runner for the hall would suffice for now, I don't think they're very expensive. Then you can concentrate on getting your living room back in order.

Great that you're going to do it yourself. Your children, especially the girls, are going to grow up knowing they can do anything if they put their minds to it. You're a great role model for them. xx
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    I'm a little confused - this is a rented property, no? If it is then it's up to your landlord to sort the flooring out - if this is (as I seem to recall it may be) a local authority then quote the decent homes standard at them - that does NOT include concrete floors left bare I'm pretty certain!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Sunshine_girl2
    Options
    I thought they had to offer you decorating vouchers as well.
    Debt free April 26th 2021

• Toni'sfriend
    Options
    I thought they had to offer you decorating vouchers as well

I know when ours was done the Housing Officer came around with an Inspector to make sure everything was working properly and we were given an allowance for any room where the decoration was damaged. It wasn't a lot but it would certainly be enough to buy a cheap carpet. Maybe not all local authorities are the same, though.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • WannabeFree
    Options
    It's housing association. The surveyors have been round this evening over something else and they definitely don't provide help towards decoration/flooring. However he has requested some plastering to be done in one room.

EH there's no flooring/decoration etc when you first sign for the property either. I just assumed that was a housing association thing? As when I was private renting it was always decorated/carpeted and a cooker provided but I've never had that from the HA. I'll have a read through their website to see if I can find anything though.

There's some more work going to happen but on the outside of the house so won't really disrupt us but will make a huge difference to damp etc should it all go ahead.

Dinner went down well and everyone's bathed. The hot water seems really hot! I think I need to read the instructions for the boiler.

Other than that nothing much to report I don't I think.

boring really :o but no dramas so that's a good thing.

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • Toni'sfriend
    Options
    Is it external insulation, W. We had that done too and it has made a huge difference to the heating bills.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • WannabeFree
    Options
    Yes TF and facias and guttering. A lot of our windows have single panels at the bottom rather than a brick wall too. I use 90×90 curtains at the minute with a fleece blanket attached to the back with Velcro. These are all being inspected for safety issues etc and are in the talks of being replaced for real brick walls and a normal window.

There's been some quite serious break ins recently through the panels so I think they will agree to change them if the funds are there. Fingers crossed

x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback