Checking outstanding finance - which service to go for?

HPI is the traditional one but there are also cheaper checks, like £2.99 or so. Are the cheaper ones actually any good?

I've read that log-book loans won't necessarily show up on HPI anyway so while an HPI check will identify conventional finance on a car it won't necessarily flag 'bill of sale' type finance which could still leave the buyer in the lurch.
Any recommendations for a 'best value' check?

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just stick with the official HPI, pointless going with anything else for a tiny saving of a few quid.
  • Well HPI is £19.99 which is quite a bit if you are looking at several cars. Apparently Parker's is exactly the same as HPI but £8.99 ?
    Also at what point would you do the check? Before you go and see it to save potentially wasting time or go and see it then come back do the HPI check, then go back and buy it if someone else hasn't bought it in the meantime? What do people do?
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I haven't used an HPI check recently but when I was checking the terms and conditions on the various services the cheaper ones tended to offer much more limited, if any comeback if the information was wrong whereas the more expensive HPI check would potentially offer you full protection if the information is wrong.

I don't shop many cars so if I liked the car and planned on buying it, I'd do the full HPI check although some friends do a cheap one first and if that's clear and then they like the car they do a more expensive one. You do need to be very careful to follow the conditions for the HPI check when buying the car for it to be valid though.

I did lose out on a £15,000 car with the HPI check as it failed due to an issue with the V5 and I was warned not to purchase it until they'd checked with the DVLA. In the meantime someone came and bought the car and while HPI came back later to say it was an error and corrected, I have no regrets about losing out on the car nor would I be concerned about losing out on any other. There's always other cars out there and it's not worth the risk to me for the money.
  • ihelp wrote: »
    Hi I used HPI text service cost between £3 basic to £6 advance immediate reply

Text 78 888 to HPI reg number

If finance showing you then need to phone HPI who will supply you with the details of the finance company.

If you then speak with the finance company they may or may not reveal the amount outstanding due data protection.

Regards

That number is for a company called
    iTextCheck.co.uk NOT HPI
  • Hi
    I've recently used "My Car Check" to check if the car I was interested in had outstanding finance, got the comprehensive check for £8.99 with a voucher code BASKET10. The car I checked was clear.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    HPI is the traditional one but there are also cheaper checks, like £2.99 or so. Are the cheaper ones actually any good?

I've read that log-book loans won't necessarily show up on HPI anyway so while an HPI check will identify conventional finance on a car it won't necessarily flag 'bill of sale' type finance which could still leave the buyer in the lurch.
    Any recommendations for a 'best value' check?

Ideally , I'd say after you have viewed and inspected the car to a point where you wish to seal the deal, then go for the traditional HPI check, I'm sure the cost can be negotiated from the selling price.
  • I'd rather do the checks before going to see the car, when I've shortlisted and ready to go an see a vehicle, I do a check. This can save me a wasted journey if any problems show up on the report. You can often discuss any issues on the report with the seller before going to see the car. Most of the time the cost of the check is less than the round trip in fuel. Doing a check before I leave has saved me time and money on more than 1 occasion.
  • ihelp
    ihelp Posts: 12 Forumite
    I have used this service to check vehicle status on many occasions on the advice of a mechanic car dealer. It’s quick it’s fast and it’s instant . If you see finance owing you then phone HPI I can’t say if the company is or is not directly connected to HPI but the speed that the information comes back suggest that it is

Try it out first and then comment back Text 78 888 to HPI reg number

It was so quick like you I thought it couldn’t be right but the details were correct
  • wazza99
    wazza99 Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Do not use TOTAL CAR CHECK cost me £9.99, they said no fiancee when there was, use official HPI £19.99, they correctly showed the finance marker.
  • I used rapid car check recently (before I went to see the car) and found it had outstanding finance. I bought multiple checks and still have a few left if you need one (and if it's not against the forum rules) message me and I will send one over.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure