Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gavinsmith1980
    • By gavinsmith1980 5th Aug 19, 5:37 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 1Thanks
    gavinsmith1980
    Paypal - credit rating and recovery?! Help desperately needed
    • 5th Aug 19, 5:37 PM
    Paypal - credit rating and recovery?! Help desperately needed 5th Aug 19 at 5:37 PM
    Hello,

I am completely new to this so please forgive if this subject has already been discussed.

In July 2019 I sold an antique vase to a buyer in China, for a total sum of £8,000. This was a life changing amount for me and my family and it enabled us to become debt free for the first time in our lives.

The buyer paid me via Paypal in four separate payments, he confirmed his address via email to me, I sent the vase via mailboxes who used a full tracking service via UPS, they took photographs of being packed also.

I paid for a full tracking service, which was signed for by the buyer and I have received a copy of this from UPS. The name that has been signed is the same as the buyer, so I felt very relieved!

The buyer has now said he has not received the vase. I have since noticed the address on the Paypal invoice is different to the one buyer sent me and I fear I have been part of a scam and Paypal will now rule against me. The address on Paypal address is in Chinese and I needed the English version as well but didnít notice they were different.

I have been so silly, stupid and have become depressed and having struggled to sleep because of this all. I now feel Paypal will rule against me and ask to me pay money back I no longer have, and then they will bombard me with letters, emails and phone demanding the money back. I worry now my good credit rating will be ruined and it will affect me being ever to buy a my own home! I havenít been able to discuss this with my partner yet, she will be devastated by it all.

Any guidance will be gratefully received.

Thank you,
Page 3
    • soolin
    • By soolin 20th Aug 19, 8:53 AM
    • 62,571 Posts
    • 44,991 Thanks
    soolin
    Thanks again for your comments and help!

Annoyingly PayPal have decided to close my account...!
    Originally posted by gavinsmith1980
    I feared that might happen. Unfortunately that means no more ebay selling until they launch their new payment system in the UK which has been delayed but should start being offered as a trial in 2020.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • gavinsmith1980
    • By gavinsmith1980 20th Aug 19, 9:04 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    gavinsmith1980
    Yes I did think that, a real shame as I love being able to buy/sell the items on eBay! May try Etsy and see what they are like...!

Will you need a PayPal account for the new eBay system?
    • jimbo26
    • By jimbo26 20th Aug 19, 9:11 AM
    • 693 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    jimbo26
    It's actually Bay that's changing not PayPal. Ebay are changing their checkout systems to allowers user to to pay by other means other than PayPal. Some info here https://www.imrg.org/blog/why-ebay-drops-paypal/
    • brianposter
    • By brianposter 20th Aug 19, 12:03 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    brianposter
    This appears on the face of it to have been a simple case of a fraudulent claim of item not received- I still see nothing at all to indicate that buyer is claiming a broken item.

Good, the different transactions should have made this ineligible for buyer protection- I just wasn't sure what happened where neither buyer nor seller had paypal protection.

I'm glad you got it sorted.
    Originally posted by soolin
    I am puzzled by the assumptions which you seem to be making - there is no evidence that this was a fraudulent transaction. It could well be, but the splitting of the payment suggests that it might not be.
    If the vase was broken in transit the likelihood is that nobody would tell the buyer and the claim would be for non-delivery, which is what has happened.
    • cymruchris
    • By cymruchris 20th Aug 19, 2:37 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    cymruchris
    Thanks again for your comments and help!

Annoyingly PayPal have decided to close my account...!
    Originally posted by gavinsmith1980

I think I would be over the moon at this outcome rather than annoyed

And if you really want a paypal option - is there another member of the family at a nearby address that could do it for you? (Under their name of course) and then you bank transfer them the money to buy whatever you're buying?
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
    • soolin
    • By soolin 20th Aug 19, 3:20 PM
    • 62,571 Posts
    • 44,991 Thanks
    soolin
    I am puzzled by the assumptions which you seem to be making - there is no evidence that this was a fraudulent transaction. It could well be, but the splitting of the payment suggests that it might not be.
    If the vase was broken in transit the likelihood is that nobody would tell the buyer and the claim would be for non-delivery, which is what has happened.
    Originally posted by brianposter
    OP had tracking proving delivery so if this had been a straightforward case of INR where both buyer and seller had protection - then seller would have won, no issue no doubt. If this was a broken item and again assuming both parties had protection- buyer would have won and OP would have had to pay to have goods returned to him as well.

To me it would seem odd for a genuine buyer to firstly change the address and then to go down the most complicated route possible to get a refund if item had been damaged. Why not simply have claimed for a damaged item and let OP pick up the bill?
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,746Posts Today

8,445Users online

Martin's Twitter