PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Luxury pudding on the cheap...

kippers
kippers Posts: 2,057 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 19 December 2018 at 1:19PM in Old style MoneySaving
Im going to a xmas party with friends and i have promised to take a pudding. In the past ive made a trifle, a chocolate log and a cheese cake and i want to make something different this year.

Can anyone think of a cheap, easy pudding that looks really good and tastes divine?

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    What about Pavlova? If you use the egg yolks to make lemon curd to top it with instead of fruit including a pot of cream would cost £3-4 depending where you shop - I use Aldi
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Eton mess; chocolate mousse; profiteroles; Charlotte russe.

Or something more solid? Sticky toffee pudding.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Nowt more thrifty than crumble :)

Not v festive though.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Strudel made with mincemeat and apple wrapped in filo either a big one or individual squares is relatively cheap and easy to do. Or an apple and cranberry wreath made with ready rolled puff pastry. Served with cream or custard or ice cream whichever is easiest on the night.

If you fancy a festive pavlova Mary Berry's festive wreath looks and tastes great https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/christmas_pavlova_20589 , if you want to keep the costs down make custard using the egg yolks instead of the cream.
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Here’s an easy least one made with just three ingredients, a tin of berries in fruit juice (raspberries are best but strawberries or black currants will do at a push but must be in juice not syrup) a bag of pink & white marshmallows and a carton of whipping cream
    Cut the marshmallows into quarters, stir in the berries & juice and leave in the fridge overnight to soak. Next morning whip your cream and stir it into the fruity marshmallows and put back into the fridge for a few hours. It’s like a fruity mousse and never fails to please.
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    LaineyT wrote: »
    Here’s an easy least one made with just three ingredients, a tin of berries in fruit juice (raspberries are best but strawberries or black currants will do at a push but must be in juice not syrup) a bag of pink & white marshmallows and a carton of whipping cream
    Cut the marshmallows into quarters, stir in the berries & juice and leave in the fridge overnight to soak. Next morning whip your cream and stir it into the fruity marshmallows and put back into the fridge for a few hours. It’s like a fruity mousse and never fails to please.

That sounds lovely....how big is the packet of marshmellows and how big is the carton of whipping cream?
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Lainey, you genius! Could you use frozen raspberries instead of tinned?
    One life - your life - live it!
  • LaineyT
    kippers wrote: »
    That sounds lovely....how big is the packet of marshmellows and how big is the carton of whipping cream?

I use a 225g bag of marshmallows with a 300ml carton of cream.
  • LaineyT
    Lainey, you genius! Could you use frozen raspberries instead of tinned?

Hmm, not sure Nargle as it’s acid in the juice that breaks the sweets down iyswim. It was my DM’s recipe and was called pink surprise :D
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    LaineyT wrote: »
    Hmm, not sure Nargle as it’s acid in the juice that breaks the sweets down iyswim. It was my DM’s recipe and was called pink surprise :D
    Frozen raspberries have plenty of acid in them, but the decomposition could take a little longer.

OP - be aware that this is not a recipe suitable for veggies.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure