DIY Probate

14567810»

Comments

• G6JNS
    G6JNS Posts: 563 Forumite
    Rosie1980 wrote: »
    I am sat listening to the delightful HMRC holding music while I await an adviser, I thought I might get a quicker response on here! I have finally completed the IHT400 and all associated schedules, it asks me to send copies of her Power of Attorney and Will. Do these have to be official copies or just photocopies?

I have finally got through and they said definitely don't send originals just photocopies.
    Any POA ceases upon death so is irrelevant.
  • Rosie1980
    Rosie1980 Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    G6JNS wrote: »
    Any POA ceases upon death so is irrelevant.

Yes I know but on the IHT400 form they ask if one was used during the deceased's lifetime and if so to enclose a copy.

I almost threw it away when Nan died as I thought it was no longer of interest to anyone, good job I hung onto it!
  • G6JNS
    G6JNS Posts: 563 Forumite
    Yes I know but on the IHT400 form they ask if one was used during the deceased's lifetime and if so to enclose a copy.

I almost threw it away when Nan died as I thought it was no longer of interest to anyone, good job I hung onto it!
    Noted. I assume the want to use it to check if the attorney made any gifts on behalf of the donor.
  • Rosie1980
    Rosie1980 Posts: 149 Forumite
    Probably something like that.
  • ferger
    ferger Posts: 85 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have another question, I understand that when I go to a solicitor to swear my oath I need a copy of the Will, do the probate people send me one or do I need a certified copy done before I send it, or can I just photocopy it myself?

The probate registry send it, attached to the oath - I had to do it a couple weeks ago. I was disappointed to find that I didn't have to actually read the oath, I was mentally rehearsing my best Olivier delivery in the solicitor's waiting room :-)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ferger wrote: »
    The probate registry send it, attached to the oath - I had to do it a couple weeks ago. I was disappointed to find that I didn't have to actually read the oath, I was mentally rehearsing my best Olivier delivery in the solicitor's waiting room :-)
    You've missed out! I don't remember having to read it a few years ago at the Probate Registry, but we did have to read it at the solicitors last year (or was it early this year?) Anyway, it was all a bit of a mish-mash, because my co-executor and I don't swear, we affirm, and the solicitor couldn't find the exact wording for affirming a grant of probate, so we had to amend one of the other sets of standard words.

Whereas at the probate registry, as soon as we said we weren't going to swear, the registrar found the right form of words straight away. But then I guess he only has one situation he's ever asked to deal with, whereas a solicitor might have to do all sorts.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • ferger
    ferger Posts: 85 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I didn't even get to formally affirm really, it was a very casual affair. Solicitor only really sought to check that I understood all the text that the probate chaps send out and then stamped and scribbled away. All a bit disappointing!
  • SandraScarlett
    SandraScarlett Posts: 4,133 Forumite
    Mine was quite dramatic and artistic! I had to hold the Bible and repeat after the Solicitor. It cost £7.

xx
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Mine was quite dramatic and artistic! I had to hold the Bible and repeat after the Solicitor. It cost £7.

That's what I had to do - very formal!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport