Universal Credit Capital Threshold and Student Loan Debt

Ricky_Chen
Ricky_Chen Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 25 May 2018 at 11:15AM in Child support
Sorry I've just spotted that there's sub-topic within the Benefits section, and didn't realise this was for child support. I;ve made a copy of this under universal credit, but not sure how to delete it here. So sorry...

Hello all,
I am a newbie here, so please tell me if I'm not quite doing things the conventional way....

***Background***
As a mature student being bullied into mental health sickness, I now found myself in a rather odd situation. Being ill with many flashbacks, I have been signed off sick, so qualified for universal credit. On universal credit alone, I breakenven and I'm grateful. Although I still have a £7000 debt on my student loan account, I am not required to make a contriution until I regain ability to start work again (either after graduation or i jus give it up, it doesn't matter).

***Recent change***
It so happens that I'm sufficiently messed up to also qualify for disability support. Now this takes me above the breakeven point.

***The questions***
1. So for this extra money, do I put it into a Lifetime ISA for the government incentive of 25% interest with a view to remove the need to continue lodging with the bullies, or do I pay into my student loan debt voluntarily to reduce my total debt?
2. It seems to make more sense to put monies into ISA, and I'm frugal enough to squeeze out £4000 for the tax year. Now, will I need to tell universal credit that I am likely to hit the £6000 capital thershold mark in 18 months time, or do I not need to do so because I still have £7000 worth of debt to be paid back?

Thanks in advance,
Ricky
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family