PPI - how effective is the ombudsman???

In short, got a PPI reclaim going through with Halifax. Has been 6 months so far. I questioned their first "no" response as key facts like dates and addresses were incorrect and Halifax agreed to re-investigate my claim as even their staff agreed that the claim handler hadn't even done basic due diligence. Then letter from them over 8 weeks ago saying the case was more complex and they needed more time. Still no final answer.

I spoke to the Ombudsman today and they said that they don't challenge the banks on basic things like making sure that they got key facts like dates and addresses correct. They said even if those are wrong, it has no bearing on whether the bank have correctly assessed the facts of the PPI reclaim. Surely an inability to get the basics right brings into question both whether the bank has gathered all the correct information on which to assess the PPI reclaim, and whether they have analysed the facts correctly???:mad:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Getting "basic Facts" wrong does not automatically indicate mis-selling took place.

If you want a refund, you need to show how the PPI was actually mis-sold. In what way was the PPI mis-sold to you?

FOS is the final arbiter of your complaint, but their call centre doesn't adjudicate
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,904
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I spoke to the Ombudsman today and they said that they don't challenge the banks on basic things like making sure that they got key facts like dates and addresses correct.

That is because that sort of info is largely irrelevant. Also, the further back in time you go, the computerisation of manual documentation meant the dates often stopped being day specific and being month specific or even year specific. You also get human error or read error (where OCR is used).
    They said even if those are wrong, it has no bearing on whether the bank have correctly assessed the facts of the PPI reclaim.

Which is correct and sensible.
    Surely an inability to get the basics right brings into question both whether the bank has gathered all the correct information on which to assess the PPI reclaim, and whether they have analysed the facts correctly???

No.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure