BOS Mortgage PPI - ppi questionaire

Hi all,

I had a Bank if Scotland mortgage from 2008-2016. It was sold to me via a broker and I was self employed at the time, no mention of PPI was made to me either.

I never gave it much thought but have run into some financial difficulty and thought I’d see if I had paid PPI on the mortgage as I wasn’t sure. Bank of Scotland have an online enquiry form for PPI complaints which I completed with my name and address and that I had a mortgage with them. they emailed me to say they had completed their investigation. Now I have received a PPI questionnaire. This may be a silly question but can I now presume I paid PPI?

Hoping someone can answer as it will save me making an arduous and frustrating phone call to the call centre no doubt

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Just fill in the form was honestly as you can, the call centre won't be of any use to you. You'll get a quick response to your "complaint" if you didn't actually have any PPI.

Do note that being self-employed is usually not a viable complaint reason with mortgage PPI because the self employed were generally covered.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    abbas5001 wrote: »
    ...I had a Bank if Scotland mortgage from 2008-2016. It was sold to me via a broker and I was self employed at the time, no mention of PPI was made to me either. ...

Good chance then, that any MPPI was sold by the broker as well.
    abbas5001 wrote: »
    I never gave it much thought but have run into some financial difficulty and thought I’d see if I had paid PPI on the mortgage as I wasn’t sure. ...

Normally MPPI is a separate payment to an insurance company. There would be a DD on your bank statement.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,908
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    but can I now presume I paid PPI?

No. Brokers rarely use bank products. They are typically poor value and low quality. Brokers normally use providers that retail via brokers. There have been exceptions but its rare.

If you have a BOS PPI then it means it must have been sold by a BOS staff member. Its just as likely they cant find anything and have just sent you a questionnaire to get you off the workpile.

Im not being funny but cant you tell if you had it or not? it was only 2016 and MPPi would have been a standalone monthly direct debit. Cant you check your bank statements to see if you had it? Or can you not remember a monthly payment to an insurer?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,553
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The point of PPI complaints is to get a refund of what you paid if the insurance was unsuitable for you or miss-sold in some other fashion, not to try and get money back for a product that you didn't use. I'd like a refund of my old car insurance premiums given I never claimed on them but that's not going to happen. If you feel you were actually miss-sold and can evidence that, then complain but putting in a speculative complaint because you're short of money wastes the time of case handlers who could be dealing with genuine complaints.

Also as above, if you were sold it by a broker, unless they were bank staff then you need to complain to the broker, BoS have no liability for the sale of their product by an independent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure