To SAR or not to SAR?

Hi Everyone

So as per the title of this thread - To SAR or not to SAR?

I have been trying to look through my old paperwork and document scans to help remind myself of my PPI past and while I had some info - I knew I was missing something, but what.

So i decided to submit a VERY broad SAR to Lloyds TSB to gather as much info as I could get as I had banked with them for 20+ years so it was a great place to start

They kindly provided to me all my old statements from 2001 onwards as well as a selection of other misc pieces of paperwork and this is where it got interesting.

The Statements were brilliant - loads of info on their to help jog the memory, account numbers etc... to use with claims etc...with Llloyds and others
But then after digging through loads of junk came a few silver bullets.
Documents / Statements and application forms of accounts Lloyds had not disclosed as having PPI when I made my online PPI enquiry. However when looking deeper the Magic Words appeared - "PPI" on their own documents - THANK YOU! CLaim made with their own proof

I've used SARs when claims have not been upheld as it helps with formulating an Ombudsman Complaint and I've used SARs to gain info before making a PPI Complaint - it helps, trust me.

I like SARS - It helps level the battleground and brings an element of control back to the Consumer.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    In other news, Subject Access Requests no longer cost £10 from tomorrow. I expect a lot of financial institutions will get a flood of such requests.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,904
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    ... However, the GDPR is more stringent on data destruction and it is retrospective. So, more data is likely to be destroyed than previously.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • sun73
    sun73 Posts: 498
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    That would be a very cynical move by the banks to use the GDPR as an excuse to destroy customer data having previously claimed not to hold any beyond the usual six years.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    sun73 wrote: »
    That would be a very cynical move by the banks to use the GDPR as an excuse to destroy customer data
    Not sure anyone here said that was what Banks would be doing?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,553
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    That would be a very cynical move by the banks to use the GDPR as an excuse to destroy customer data having previously claimed not to hold any beyond the usual six years.

To use it as an excuse yes but on the flip side, why should they keep data that is no longer relevant? If I leave a bank, I don't expect them to keep my data beyond a certain period as it's no longer relevant. Banks should have been destroying old records years ago instead of hanging onto them. The firm I work for keeps client medical records for 8 years then we destroy them. There is no reason for us to keep a record of what treatment Mrs Y had 10 years ago if she's never been back to us
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,904
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite

GDPR is retrospective. There is no exclusion in the GDPR rules about PPI complaints (obviously). So, legally there is nothing that says they should retain the data.

There is frequent comment on how long it should be kept and firms are interpreting data accordingly.

If firms only deleted PPI data then that is cynical. However, if they also deleted other data on the same basis at the same time, then its not cynical.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure