Still showing debt after IVA completion

Flick216
Flick216 Posts: 8,955
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
I took out an IVA on 27th March 2012 – it was fully paid off 12 month later as I had an inheritance.

Since then, the bank I was with at the time still have the overdraft as outstanding. I contacted the company I used for the IVA and they told me that the bank did not send the account details over when the IVA was finalised (even though they sent the loan info over!) The company I used have said that this account should no longer be outstanding and the bank should close the account – basically they did not claim the money at the time and so cannot have it showing as outstanding.

It is showing n my credit scores as an overdraft in use which is really annoying but I do not really know how to go about getting this resolved. Should I write to the bank, with the IVA completion certificate and request that they close down the account? Would I need to send any more information?

Any advice would be gratefully received – the IVA is due to come off my record at the end of March so I don’t really want this information on my credit score either.
ENFP - Assertive
Officially in a clique of idiots
Smoke me a kipper; I'll be back for breakfast

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,711
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Hi,

The debt should still show, as 6 years are not yet up, but it should be marked as settled and closed.

Step one, send a complaint to the bank, in writing is best, but email or live chat are other options.

They have 8 weeks in which to provide a final response to you.

Its a simple issue so should be dealt with pretty quickly, but if you find it has not been dealt with to your satisfaction, escalate the matter to the ICO (information commissionaires office).
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Flick216
    Flick216 Posts: 8,955
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks Sourcrates - it looks like the debt AND the IVA are showing though - that is the problem. That debt should have been included in the IVA. None of the other debt is showing as it has been paid in full - but the IVA is still showing (which it will until the end of March).
    ENFP - Assertive
    Officially in a clique of idiots
    Smoke me a kipper; I'll be back for breakfast
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills