Debt Relief Order stress

Options
Hi

I pay my £90 fee on Friday, I’m so worried that the debt Relief Order will be refused I have looked at so much stuff online and no one posts about being refused, I suffer bad mental health issues and I’m parinoid - I’m not sleeping and I can’t eat. I get triggered on the phone and if I’m if I’m questioned something I’m not sure on I panic. The debt charity that is helping me have been very patient on the phone with me but today’s call went bad and I felt like the woman was judging or assuming things (paranoia) :(
I am not my illness, My illness is part of me.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As above, once submitted, it’s virtually 100% guaranteed to be approved.

The intermediary would not submit an application that was likely to be refused.

Stop panicking.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • twilightkate
    Options
    Thank you both so much for the reply’s. It’s just a scary process I find and I can’t help but worry. Do any of you know - will I be speaking to anyone else? I speak to the same person at stepchange as I don’t do that great on the phone. Thanks again
  • twilightkate
    Options
    Hey Amy,

I mean once SC submit the application will the Insolvency Services call me?
  • User1976
    Options
    They never called me so don’t worry
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi twilightkate

I understand how these things can be a worry but it is highly unlikely the Insolvency Service will contact you directly. Even if there was something they needed to check they are much more likely to contact your intermediary at StepChange directly.

Also if there were any issues that were likely to cause a problem with your application, your intermediary should already have explained and discussed them with you.

Amy makes a good suggestion to try and keep busy to distract yourself. These things are usually dealt with quickly and without a hitch. I hope it all goes well.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Only just noticed your post. I've done hundreds of these things since they came in in 2009. I work for CAB.

I did have one application rejected. The guy had concealed from me that he had already had a DRO in the past 6 years. For some reason it didn't show on his credit report but the DRO Team check their own records.

Every other submission has gone through.

Likewise, revocations (where the DRO gets cancelled within the 12 months) are very rare - I've had a few where the client came into a lump sum that they didn't expect. As far as I know I've never had one where they have breached the surplus income rule. Which probably says a lot about where I work!
  • twilightkate
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your replies so comforting,

Fat belly - I’ve never had a dro and I do not expect any lump sums and I highly doubt I will be working in the next 3 years I had to leave my job due to my mental health I was awarded pip for 3 years. So today my partner will be paying my £90 and I will call them this afternoon wish me luck. Thanks again for these replies
  • twilightkate
    Options
    Hi,

I submitted paid and spoke to SC Friday - they said I will receive the decision by post within 10 days. The wait has me on edge I read somewhere on this forum about people checking the IS registers after a few days I’ve checked today and will probably check every hour ����

Will SC call me to let me know or just keep checking the register and wait 10 days for the letter?

Thanks again
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Did they submit it on Friday?

We are generally getting the confirmation email after two working days with the client receiving the letter and the DRO appearing on the register on the following day.

The register seems to get updated early in the morning so one check per day should do it
  • twilightkate
    Options
    Yes it was submitted Friday, so a couple of days fatbelly?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure