2018 Frugal Living Challenge

Comments

• PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Yay! I've managed to not spend any money today!! It helped that I left my purse at home!!

I took a cup a soup to work for lunch today, but ended up bringing it home as I was given some meatballs and pasta for lunch, which is double savings as far as I'm concerned!!

I'm feeling much better now, although work was hard (felt like a hamster in a wheel..!). Now my frugality is more resolved. I was told I may need to buy hot drinks on my trip tomorrow, but I'm just going to take some bottles of water.

Have sorted out some things today. My aim is to declutter at least 10 things a day. Hoping, as others have said, that being less cluttered will help me to be more frugal. I'll get there!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Hello! I am late to the party but hoping I can join in. I will be looking for inspiration from you lovely people. I work part time with a husband and 2 kids 2 and 7. The youngest is always with me so I find it hard to cook everything from scratch (especially being hanging post night shift 2 days of the week) but going to try harder to batch cook this year and switch most of my shopping to Aldi. I do love Aldi and Lidl but it’s the convinence of getting everything I want in Sainsbury’s rather than doing them both when I don’t have much time and I’ve really gone off food lately, struggling to know what to buy, not keen on meat at the moment- eating lots of fish. Anyone know the best veg for a vegetable curry?

Anyway been reading through a few pages. I’ll try to pop back every few days to keep me going.
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,050
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hi everyone
    Not so frugal today as I have been shopping, but didn't spend too much and everything was needed but I will update it when I have looked my receipts out.
    Made a huge pan of soup yesterday so had that for tea as I was out for lunch.
    And not much else really, so I'll say good night and post tomorrow
    Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• Anniee88, I like butternut squash and cauliflower in a veg curry as they don't go to mush and they take on the flavours We'll, chick peas are good for bulking it out are cheap...tasty too.
  • Morning! Super Icy and Cold here, wish we had working heating, sigh!

I've been reading along and everyone is so motivational so much so I've been ticking along nicely, excited to start this on the 25th but I haven't been spending which is great. I even stopped myself from buying wool by asking myself if I seriously need it! I know this probably doesn't sound like a major thing but for me it is. I adore my knitting/spinning and it's a huge step in me moving into the right direction.
    Frugal Living Challenge, Household £0/5,000 Personal £0/3,000 Starting on the 25th Jan.
    January 2018 Grocery Challenge - £42.88/280 20p Savers - £5.20p Virtual Sealed Pot No. 14 - £19.04/£260 Mortgage Overpayments - £0/£1,200 Sealed Pot No 37 :j
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,936
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    FrankieM wrote: »
    I don't feel guilty about it..I'm just aware of the word 'frugal' Anyway, as I said yesterday, I think this is more about being aware of what I'm spending and getting back into the life style habit of that at this point. :)

I definitely think that looking at frugal anything as being part of a self-awareness lifestyle is the best way to be. :)
    Hi all

Please can I join this challenge. I've been reading posts and I admire everyone's determination!!

Welcome to the challenge and good luck kickig those debts into oblivion quickly. :D
    It feels so silly to be so proud of myself for that but I cannot wait to see what my monthly save will actually be. I hope to be able to clear one CC on February's payday. I'm so impatient! I want to get there already!

Nope, not silly in the least! :T And on the weightloss subject, I do frugal February fitness challenge to shift all the extra gained over the festive period. :rotfl:
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Oh nooo! I failed last nigh! I bought a pair of boots in the dune sale! They were half price ... so naughty. Back on track now no more treats! Must pay off credit card!!!
  • Frugaldom
    Forumite
    Moll wrote: »
    ive been following this thread , I live frugally USUALLY.as a way of life , but have gone off the rails big time , Determined to get back on track NOW . Doing inventories tomorrow , and keeping a check on EVERYTHING as from today .............. I know we are part way through January, but im still starting at the beginning of the year . wish me luck , hopefully ill have ideas to help others too ,

Thanks for joining us - there is always roo for one more on the frugal bus. :D
    Unicorn101 wrote: »
    Journey so far: Paid off credit card using some savings so not paying interest. Have used the spreadsheet and produced a detailed monthly budget (thanks for this it was a massive help) and set up envelopes of allowed spends for the remainder of the month. Today was second NSD in a row. I can do this!

Cingrtaulations on clearing off the credit card. :beer::j
    Anniee88 wrote: »
    Hello! I am late to the party but hoping I can join in. ... Anyone know the best veg for a vegetable curry?

Welcome to Frugaldom :) I quite often cheat on the vegetables in curry etc and just use frozen mixed veg. At 77p per kilo, it's about as cheap as I can get here and requires no prepping time.

Day 9 and I haven't been shopping for anything other than a carton of milk. Still getting enough eggs fro the hens to do for ourselves and for selling the exras, so the cash from those gets marked into the spreadsheet and goes into my spare change tub. I'd to buy a cylinder of gas for the caravan and had to leave heating on in there, as it's been so cold that the water pipes are freezing. Roll on spring!

• Frugaldom
    Forumite
    I think all the names have been added to the challenger list in post 2 of page 1 - we now have 70 of us taking part in our 2018 challenge! Yeah! :D

Frugal tip - save your clear polythene for using over seed pots, trays and tubs - it helps with a little bit of extra warmth and humidity and if the sun gets at them, things like salad leaves can grow all year round.

• The days are flying by, I haven't done an update since Saturday but I can report that all is going well though.

When I posted on Saturday I listed all my weekend jobs that I wanted to achieve. I managed to do them all so now the freezer is stocked up with pizza bases and crumbles. We have also been mainly keeping warm with the log fire to try and keep the energy bills down. The CH has been on for a couple of hours each day to keep the chill off first thing in the morning but I have gotten into the routine of stocking up the log baskets when its dry and light outside as I hate going out in the dark.

There were no unplanned spends at the weekend and doing my shopping on a daily basis with a list has really kept the shopping bill to a minimum.

Really enjoying this challenge at the moment and can already see how it will change the shape of our finances.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure