TV Licence - will they get a warrant?

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    No, Data Protection laws forbid me from doing the same job at the same time.

It is my opinion that if you enter someone's home to read their meters, and you have in your possession at that time details of their TV Licence status, then that is extremely likely to be a breach of the DPA, and a further breach of the Human Rights Act by BBC-TVL.
  • Cornucopia wrote: »
    It is my opinion that if you enter someone's home to read their meters, and you have in your possession at that time details of their TV Licence status, then that is extremely likely to be a breach of the DPA, and a further breach of the Human Rights Act by BBC-TVL.
    Its your opinion, but I think you are wrong.G4S would have put it through their lawyers before accepting the contracts.
    All meter readers get to deliver TV licence reminders. We also get multiple other jobs and duties.I dont think its too easy for bosses to segregate the work out.
    Dont forget I did offer to help you in the past to give you evidence of a breach of DPA, but you would not reveal your true address to me in any circumstance by a PM. I m quite happy to reveal my name, address and my bosses name and and address who allocates all the work to around 40 meter readers in our area
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,456 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 14 November 2017 at 1:15AM
    If you do not watch any live scheduled tv or any BBC content whatsoever( so you or your partner do not watch the top ratings hits like Celebrity Come Dancing etc ) then invite the Capita employee in to see your TV set up.

... seeing as you claim to watch only appalling American rubbish only or have to mess about with catch-up TV on a very expensive mobile or broadband contract.

.. Talk is cheap ! claiming that you do not break the law is easy, prove it ! Invite Capita in to verify your "claim ".

All of a sudden, when asked to do this, householders then start bleating on about privacy!

Funny how so many are just straight liars, just to save a paltry £2.80 a week for the best value for money in the UK .

OP, why do you state the phrase "trying to catch me out " If what you claim is an honest statement ? There is nothing to be "caught out " in the first place if what you claim is true.

Capita do a brilliant job in forcing reluctant tightwads to pay their TV licence.
    My views on people who claim to live legally licence free, an appalling phrase, is certainly justified because I get past the front door and see for myself the lies and claims going off in the homes of UK residents, so OP please drop the "privacy " claim and simply admit a Capita employee in to view your system.
    He is vetted strictly,( as I am in my role ) and has a 100% clean criminal record.

This forum is nt really about helping people save money on advice on TV licences. Lawful people do not need advice on TV licences or how to avoid paying for it. It is against the spirit of MSE.

This foul rant will do nothing to improve the already poor reputation of Capita.

Your suggestion that the OP is lying about not watching TV illegally is entirely without foundation. You should apologise.

Many people are now choosing not to watch live TV or iPlayer in order to avoid giving the BBC just over £12 a month. This has been made easier by the legality of being able to watch catch up of ITV and Channel 4 on line, and by the continued deterioration in the quality and presentation of BBC output.

To dismiss Netflix as appalling American rubbish is risible, particularly when you highlight a Z list celebrity TV show as an example of the BBC's supposed excellence. Netflix is half the cost of the BBC, has some excellent content, can be viewed on demand (including abroad) and is completely free of adverts (unlike the BBC)

Suggesting that someone should prove their own innocence is contrary to the basis of English Law. We are all innocent until proven guilty. We should not be bullied into inviting inspectors into our homes to prove our innocence. But this fascist attitude is sadly typical of Capita and it's emloyees.

As for "very expensive broadband contracts", I doubt that many people pay for broadband purely so they can watch Netflix. And many people watch the the BBC over broadband!

This site is all about money saving. Many people feel the BBC is simply not worth about £150 a year. Not paying for something you don't need is at the heart of money saving.

Shame on you.
  • Cornucopia
    edited 14 November 2017 at 1:25AM
    Welcome Cornucopia.
    .where have I accused another forum member of breaking the law?

You said this: "so you or your partner do not watch the top ratings hits like Celebrity Come Dancing etc" and this "Funny how so many are just straight liars, just to save a paltry £2.80 a week...".

I don`t think your imput on this forum is justified given the vast numbers that are prosecuted every year for licence evasion.After all, most of these who end up in court I presume claimed to be legally licence free .
    I respond (generally speaking) to the questions that arise.

ISTR that BBC-TVL are currently saying that "around 1 in 6" households who previously told them that no Licence was required were subsequently found to need one.
    Why can t you just stick only to advice such as removing aerial leads, ,removing set top boxes or detuning Freeview and leave out all the stuff to not speak or refuse entry to Capita men or admit them access.
    Why?

Many of the issues with TVL/Capita stem from their lack of legal authority. That means that people can simply ignore them at the door, or politely turn them away. If the Powers That Be don't want that to happen then they know what to do.

I think in your mind you think you have successfully summed up the rights and wrongs of the TVL debacle. And you're entitled to your view. However, the truth is much, much more complicated. Many/most people do not regard TVL as the "good guys", I'm afraid, and their sinister tone now and in the past does not help one bit.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 14 November 2017 at 1:45AM
    Nick_C wrote: »
    This foul rant will do nothing to improve the already poor reputation of Capita.

Your suggestion that the OP is lying about not watching TV illegally is entirely without foundation. You should apologise.

Many people are now choosing not to watch live TV or iPlayer in order to avoid giving the BBC just over £12 a month. This has been made easier by the legality of being able to watch catch up of ITV and Channel 4 on line, and by the continued deterioration in the quality and presentation of BBC output.

To dismiss Netflix as appalling American rubbish is risible, particularly when you highlight a Z list celebrity TV show as an example of the BBC's supposed excellence. Netflix is half the cost of the BBC, has some excellent content, can be viewed on demand (including abroad) and is completely free of adverts (unlike the BBC)

Suggesting that someone should prove their own innocence is contrary to the basis of English Law. We are all innocent until proven guilty. We should not be bullied into avoiding inspectors into our homes to prove our innocence. But this fascist attitude is sadly typical of Capita and it's emloyees.

As for "very expensive broadband contracts", I doubt that many people pay for broadband purely so they can watch Netflix. And many people watch the the BBC over broadband!

This site is all about money saving. Many people feel the BBC is simply not worth about £150 a year. Not paying for something you don't need is at the heart of money saving.

Shame on you.
    I have not accused the OP of licence evasion at all.I made a hint that he and his partner was missing one of the best bits of TV in the UK by not watching the brilliant Celebrity Come Dancing .You are interpreting it incorrectly
    The only "foul " rant is coming from other FMs..and you are not allowed to watch BBC over broadband by the way.Even if you just watch one BBC program you need to buy a TV licence.
    How is it saving money buying expensive Netflix , Now TV and Amazon Prime.These companies sign you up then start increasing their prices constantly and you end up paying twice as much as the normal TV licence of £147.
    Its not just the BBC you can watch but ALL live scheduled broadcasts at the time the show is aired, and that includes free Sky channels too.
    Who on earth could find it convenient to wait for on demand services to kick in before legally viewing the content.Its totally inconvenient, and you have to rely on the broadband data allowance not being burnt up.TalkTalk for instance is dreadfully slow most of the time.
    Z list ! Celebrity come dancing attracted over 12 million viewers last week, second only to the BBCs The Blue Planet which drew a whopping 14 million.
    The BBC had the top 11 programs in the UK last week. IMO the BBC is getting better and ITV cannot keep pace with them.
  • Cornucopia
    edited 14 November 2017 at 1:34AM
    Its your opinion, but I think you are wrong.G4S would have put it through their lawyers before accepting the contracts.
    The offences are likely to be with BBC-TVL and Capita as data owners and processors. There is so much of this poor compliance stuff with TVL that another one would not surprise me in the slightest.
    All meter readers get to deliver TV licence reminders. We also get multiple other jobs and duties.I dont think its too easy for bosses to segregate the work out.
    The systems themselves need to be engineered in such a way as to avoid the possibility of data leakage between clients. If that is not possible, then the contracts should be cancelled. It's not as if the hand delivery of calling cards actually serves any constructive purpose.

Dont forget I did offer to help you in the past to give you evidence of a breach of DPA, but you would not reveal your true address to me in any circumstance by a PM. I m quite happy to reveal my name, address and my bosses name and and address who allocates all the work to around 40 meter readers in our area

I am not under any circumstances going to do this. It's probably against MSE policy, too. If you have evidence that you would like to share with me, scan it and PM me. If there is a lot of it, then upload it to a free sharing service and send me the link.

If you absolutely have to post it somewhere, then use the complaints process on the TVL website.
  • No thanks Cornucopia, If I offer to give evidence it will not be in the "virtual world " but in the real world, with real names and addresses. I am not trying to wring out your true identity.
    I have a rough idea who you are because you have appeared on some radio show I think, somewhere in the Medway area I believe.
    I have always been open on my identity and where I live and work.British Gas management for instance know who I am by name
  • Cornucopia
    edited 14 November 2017 at 10:03AM
    you are not allowed to watch BBC over broadband by the way.Even if you just watch one BBC program you need to buy a TV licence.
    I think it's clear that Nick_C was referring to people who have Licences.
    How is it saving money buying expensive Netflix , Now TV and Amazon Prime.
    Because they all have options that are cheaper than the TV Licence?
    These companies sign you up then start increasing their prices constantly and you end up paying twice as much as the normal TV licence of £147.
    No.... they don't.
    Who on earth could find it convenient to wait for on demand services to kick in before legally viewing the content.
    You are thinking about it in a very linear way. Being able to watch what you want, when you want is actually very liberating, and I wouldn't want to go back. Very, very occasionally, I will watch something immediately after broadcast, as soon as it gets added to catch-up, but it's not really a huge inconvenience. It is only TV, after all.

It does highlight one area where I think the Government messed up in their negotiations over iPlayer (aside from overlooking the whole TVL debacle, of course). That is that they really ought to have excluded rolling news and BBC Parliament from the TV Licence. That would have been a very democratic thing to do. We now have the stupid situation where individual news feeds on the Sky website may or may not require a Licence, where the Sky News feed on Youtube requires a TV Licence, and where BBC Parliament requires a Licence, but the individual live feeds under the Parliament website do not.
    you have to rely on the broadband data allowance not being burnt up.
    Do people still have data caps?
    TalkTalk for instance is dreadfully slow most of the time.
    My Talktalk service is consistently over 30Mbps. If you have a technical issue with your service, I suggest you talktalk to Talktalk. It's certainly not good to presume that the entire country suffers from poor BB speeds, because that simply isn't true.

Apologies for going "line-by-line", but your posts are strangely addictive.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,456 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 14 November 2017 at 1:50AM
    The only "foul " rant is coming from other FMs..and you are not allowed to watch BBC over broadband by the way.Even if you just watch one BBC program you need to buy a TV licence.
    How is it saving money buying expensive Netflix , Now TV and Amazon Prime.These companies sign you up then start increasing their prices constantly and you end up paying twice as much as the normal TV licence of £147.
    Its not just the BBC you can watch but ALL live scheduled broadcasts at the time the show is aired, and that includes free Sky channels too.
    Who on earth could find it convenient to wait for on demand services to kick in before legally viewing the content.Its totally inconvenient, and you have to rely on the broadband data allowance not being burnt up.TalkTalk for instance is dreadfully slow most of the time

What is an FM?

" you are not allowed to watch BBC over broadband by the way".
    - Of course you are. Why else would the BBC have developed iPlayer?

"Even if you just watch one BBC program you need to buy a TV licence."
    - Not true. A lot of BBC programming is available on Netflix.

These points may seem pedantic, but accuracy is essential when talking about TV licensing requirements.

"How is it saving money buying expensive Netflix , Now TV and Amazon Prime.These companies sign you up then start increasing their prices constantly and you end up paying twice as much as the normal TV licence of £147."
    - I switch between Netflix and Now TV. I don't subscribe to both at the same time. You are not locked into contracts. You pay a month at a time. I pay £5.99 a month to watch Netflix or £5 to watch Now TV. I could have both services at the same time, and it would still be cheaper than the TV licence.

"its not just the BBC you can watch but ALL live scheduled broadcasts at the time the show is aired, and that includes free Sky channels too."
    - Perhaps, but why should I give the BBC £150 a year just so I can watch Sky/ITV/Ch4? I would hope that in time the BBC will move to a subscription model. It should raise standards, increase efficiency, and it would be a much fairer way of paying for it.

" you have to rely on the broadband data allowance not being burnt up"
    - no. I have unlimited superfast broadband.
  • Cornucopia
    edited 14 November 2017 at 1:55AM
    No thanks Cornucopia, If I offer to give evidence it will not be in the "virtual world " but in the real world, with real names and addresses. I am not trying to wring out your true identity.
    And yet...
    I have a rough idea who you are because you have appeared on some radio show I think, somewhere in the Medway area I believe.

I've been on national radio as an invited guest a number of times (probably around 15). Mostly on LBC, but also on TalkRadio.

You need to give up on the postal address/true identity thing, though. I am not interested.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure