Early-retirement wannabe

Comments

• melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I took early retirement in July last year (mid fifties).

I had no spreadsheet or projections or whatever. I wanted to go early and I did.

But in fairness, I did plan for a few years prior to retirement to pay down every debt I had, and do the house improvements, and salt away a few bob whilst I had full salary.

My pension is quite good given the actuarial reduction. I can still save the same amount I did whilst working. That is the Fun Money! Now where will I go next month kind of thing!

I'm female. And I could be wrong, but I do think there is a big difference between the attitude of men and women when it comes to leaving work for good.

I, never looked back, just forward. From the day I left, I never thought about work at all! Am enjoying the total freedom of being able to do everything or nothing as the mood suits. Surely that is what retirement is all about!

I cannot believe that I felt no adjustment period at all. I sailed into it and it is great.

Do not be afraid. You either can afford to go and are not sure, or you cannot afford to go and really want to, OR, you can go, can afford it, and to hell with the worries. So GOOOOO!

It is so good. Honestly. I was just speaking with a former colleague who also took early retirement around the same time as myself. She said she would never go back to work, things had changed so much and it wasn't enjoyable anymore. My sentiments exactly, and remember we are not here for a long time, but a good time!

My best wishes to you all on the cusp of a decision on early retirement, and I hope it works out well for you all.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    ...but I suspect I'm not alone in thinking that rates may not go up again materially in our lifetime.

Well, I for one am not certain enough of that to build it into my investment/life plans. I've ridden the roller-coaster enough to have close to zero confidence that the road ahead is flat.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    melanzana wrote: »
    I'm female. And I could be wrong, but I do think there is a big difference between the attitude of men and women when it comes to leaving work for good.

Depends on what you mean by leaving work. I've got a fair few hobbies that make some money, and I could build these up, but perhaps that would be too much like work?
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    Depends on what you mean by leaving work. I've got a fair few hobbies that make some money, and I could build these up, but perhaps that would be too much like work?

Each to their own, enjoy it, whatever you do!

I was referring to leaving the permanent place of employment. That can be a wrench for everyone, but I think men particularly can feel somewhat lost when retired from the workplace.

Women, on the other hand, have many strings to their bows, and can adapt to free time a lot easier I think.

Anyway, I have probably now opened up a can of sexist worms!!
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    jamesd wrote: »
    Hardly. You can read about the Trinity study to learn more about what was really done. It used the period from 1925 through 1995 and an updated version went to 2005. That's the Great Depression, two world wars and assorted high inflation times.

But I'm guessing that the study was somewhat restricted in scope. How did things work out in Germany, Austria or Japan? Or come to that, Czechoslovakia or Poland? What makes you think we couldn't be Japan next time?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Women, on the other hand, have many strings to their bows, and can adapt to free time a lot easier I think.

Anyway, I have probably now opened up a can of sexist worms!!
    I think it comes down to what you have done during the working life and who you did it for.

Is it not down to creativity, ability to organise your time etc rather than a simple male / female split although, generally, there is a belief that females are more creative.

People I know who always had lots to do away from work are happier in retirement - things do to, places to see, people to see etc.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    i dont know. I think men are more tied up in what they used to do self esteem wise? Women's self esteem isn't usually employment based lol.

Plus there is the whole lying around bit. I know for certain my OH (who has no hobbies apart from watching sport) would find just sitting around annoying. Then he would pester me (who is very happy just sitting around reading a book).

He used to play golf and would take that up again I am sure(when he had the time again which is why he stopped), but that is his only other hobby.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ...but I suspect I'm not alone in thinking that rates may not go up again materially in our lifetime.
    I think that you're probably right in most of the developed world but I'm not certain of it.
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    But I'm guessing that the study was somewhat restricted in scope. How did things work out in Germany, Austria or Japan? Or come to that, Czechoslovakia or Poland? What makes you think we couldn't be Japan next time?
    Covered in Are Safe Withdrawal Rates Really Safe that I linked to earlier. The naive answers are "less well" and "we could be". The less naive answer is to notice that people don't have to invest only in their own country these days, something that was much harder in the past, and notice that I tend to recommend global trackers as a core investment, not UK, to reduce this sort of risk. The studies for improved drawdown rules would improve the success rate overall so the former failure cases may well be success ones now. So do both: global investing and better drawdown rules.
  • blizeH
    blizeH Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 February 2015 at 2:37PM
    melanzana wrote: »
    Yes, you have! :)

Also, whilst I enjoyed reading your post and think it's awesome that you're a lot happier now, your situation doesn't really apply to the majority of people here. You say you quit work without thinking about it, but that was only possible because you were able to take your company pension. A lot of people here won't have that option until they're 68 or possibly older.
  • nicknameless
    nicknameless Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    OMG only just caught up on the post Xmas instalment. Not what I expected to read.

Just to jump on the proverbial bandwagon - JFDI or change the title of the thread to early retirement wannabe (maybe, I think, perhaps, in a while, should the stars align, during a leap year with a blue moon, some may call me hesitant ...........)

Only joshing.

But seriously JFDI
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport