PPI Cheque Cancelled

Hello

I received a letter a few weeks back telling me that I'm owed £1600 in PPI, from NatWest, I sent off the declaration the same day and received a cheque from them this week. I banked it and today it's come back as Cheque Unpaid.

I rang up RBS PPI claims team and after them telling me multiple times that they never sent one, and me telling them I was looking at it on my phone at that very minute, they said it's been cancelled and my claim passed to their insolvency team. I declared bankruptcy 10 years ago, with all debts made null and void.

The woman on the phone said there's no time frame for this, she doesn't understand why the cheque was issued... anyone been in this situation, what happens next, if anything?

Thanks,
Chris

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,904
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    as a bankrupt, you have no right to any money refunded on PPI where the premiums were paid before bankruptcy. The money should go to the creditors you left unpaid. So, the bank was right to stop the cheque and redirect the proceeds to the OR.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I declared bankruptcy 10 years ago, with all debts made null and void.

The woman on the phone said there's no time frame for this, she doesn't understand why the cheque was issued... anyone been in this situation, what happens next, if anything?
    She's right, the cheque should never have been issued to you in the first place.

In fact, you should never have made a PPI complaint without reference to the OR.

Any redress from PPI complaints you personally may make are a pre-bankruptcy asset which belongs to the Official Receiver for redistribution to your former creditors.

This is the case forever, so it matters little how long ago you declared bankruptcy.

This is asked so often, the Bankruptcy Board has a "sticky thread" about it. I suggest that you read it carefully:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3766585
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport