PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Comments

• emsjune78
    emsjune78 Posts: 569
    PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Hi All,

I've had some successes so far and I currently have two investigations ongoing. One for a Dorothy Perkins storecard with Santander and one for a credit card with Lloyds. In both cases when they were taken out I was a Modern Apprentice, going to college once a week on day release. Although I was essentially employed, and received some payment, £40 a wk as I remember, it is my understanding that I couldn't have been made redundant in the standard fashion for the duration of the apprenticeship. Is this a potential reason for mis sale? I have provided this detail to both, as well as in relation to a pre-existing medical condition. Santander wrote to me asking for specific details which I provided, along with proof. Lloyds rang me and I discussed with them over the phone. Lloyds 8 wks is up on Tues and no decision as yet.

I have read many posts from this thread and found it really useful. I haven't seen many stories of old Arcadia Group/GE Capital storecard cases being upheld by Santander. They initially couldn't find my records at all and sent me to New Day, despite an account number and paperwork. New Day sent me back to them and they then found my details. The guy I spoke to on the phone could access the account straight off. That account was opened in 1997 and only closed last year so still showing on my credit file. Due to that there was a delay in starting that investigation and the 8 wks there isn't until the end of the month.

If anyone has any opinions or experience of similar with the apprenticeship, I'd be grateful to hear them.

Thank you
  • EmsLdn
    EmsLdn Posts: 56
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello all,
    I had an Argos store card many years ago to spread the cost of a new sofabed. The sofabed and the debt are both long gone so I was pleased as punch when they wrote to me at an old address (I still have friends there) to say they were sorry and that I should be entitled to some PPI money back. I expected about £20 but ended up with just under £800.
    After I procrastinated for a while, I contacted Egg. I had a card and then a loan with them - again - many years ago. They've recently awarded me just over £2,000.
    Finally, I remembered I had a Capital One card back in the early 2000. They have awarded me around £70. Not bad in my opinion!

I have a question though for anyone who had an Egg card and then a loan who also did a PPI claim with them. Did you apply twice (once for the loan and once for the card) or did you only need to apply once for PPI refund? When my initial application was submitted, it didn't give me a chance to enter details for both the loan and the card - so I just did the loan.

Hope you're all remembering to put on your sunscreen!
    :hello: :footie:
  • Yvette_McIntosh
    Yvette_McIntosh Posts: 2
    PPI Party Pooper
    edited 12 May 2018 at 7:19PM
    I read a previous post regarding !!!8216;Plevin Rule!!!8217; and ino provided by Martin Lewis.

I was turned down by Egg some years ago. I made my complaint to the Ombudsman, who ruled in favour of Egg. (It was an Egg Loan)

I read on the forum 3 weeks ago about the Plevin Rule!!!8217;. I completed the relevant template and marked it Plevin Rule. I received a letter from Canada Square Operations who acknowledged my claim, and within 2 weeks I received a response upholding my claim. I was sent a cheque in the sum of £4,307.97p. I could not believe it, as they had denied my claim in Feb 2016, stating the Ombudsman had ruled in their favour when I first submitted my claim for PPI in 2007.

I never thought I would be paid out, I was so happy. I have followed Martin!!!8217;s Lewis!!!8217;s advice, and used his templates for ALL my other claims for PPI. Over the period of 3 years I have received approx £24,000. All from different credit cards and loans. I even got paid out for a TopShop card I took out when I was 18, I am now aged 54! In making my claims, I did have account numbers..

Please persevere and don!!!8217;t give up. I even got them to open up on an old Endowment Policy I had, and received £1200.

Going to try my hand at bank charges. They can only say No. love Martin Lewis!!!8217;s advice. A much valued service.
  • I put in a claim for PPi on both, the loan and my Egg Card. I was refused for the Loan, however awarded for the credit card. I recently made a claim again for the Loan, despite being denied by the aombudsman at the time of my appeal. I made a claim under the P,even Law, and my complaint was upheld and a further payment was made of £4,307.

I hope this answers your question.
  • emsjune78
    PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    What were you reclaiming: Dorothy Perkins Store Card from 1997
    Who was the provider: GE Capital, dealt with by Santander
    How much did you get back: £5412.53
    Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: Online form, telephone call and questionnaire

I inadvertently posted about this case in the wrong place previously and I appreciate now that was poor form. I did think it was worth including here as I haven't seen too many successful accounts for Santander on Store card complaints. Hopefully it might be of help to someone.

I initially contacted Santander, I had my account details and some copies of statements. They wrote me to me stating they could trace no details of my account and suggested I approach New Day. I did so and they quickly confirmed not them and to go back to Santander. I rang them and the chap I spoke to confirmed he was able to see my account details and ppi on there.

Filled out questionnaire, was subsequently asked to provide further detail in respect of employment status and pre existing medical condition.

Eight week period would have been up this coming Tuesday. Received two letters together today. One on behalf of SCUKL which stated my complaint was considered time barred as more than 15 years since account was opened. The other was on behalf of Financial Insurance Company Ltd which was upheld as they were not satisfied that the ppi policy was suitable for me when it was sold.

Ecstatic as I wasn't holding out much hope and I certainly wasn't expecting it to be such a large sum. I am very happy I persevered with this one.
  • ARLO67
    ARLO67 Posts: 1 Newbie
    emsjune78 wrote: »
    What were you reclaiming: Dorothy Perkins Store Card from 1997
    Who was the provider: GE Capital, dealt with by Santander
    How much did you get back: £5412.53
    Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: Online form, telephone call and questionnaire

I inadvertently posted about this case in the wrong place previously and I appreciate now that was poor form. I did think it was worth including here as I haven't seen too many successful accounts for Santander on Store card complaints. Hopefully it might be of help to someone.

I initially contacted Santander, I had my account details and some copies of statements. They wrote me to me stating they could trace no details of my account and suggested I approach New Day. I did so and they quickly confirmed not them and to go back to Santander. I rang them and the chap I spoke to confirmed he was able to see my account details and ppi on there.

Filled out questionnaire, was subsequently asked to provide further detail in respect of employment status and pre existing medical condition.

Eight week period would have been up this coming Tuesday. Received two letters together today. One on behalf of SCUKL which stated my complaint was considered time barred as more than 15 years since account was opened. The other was on behalf of Financial Insurance Company Ltd which was upheld as they were not satisfied that the ppi policy was suitable for me when it was sold.

Ecstatic as I wasn't holding out much hope and I certainly wasn't expecting it to be such a large sum. I am very happy I persevered with this one.

Hi new to this forum and to all this PPi,
    But after reading your post i am interested in how your provided further detail of your employment status at the time, being it was so far bac.
    the reason i am asking is that i am also chasing a Dorothy Perkins claim and and i believe i worked less than 16 hours a week back then having a young family etc, but i am not sure how i would go about proving this?
    thanks
  • emsjune78
    PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    ARLO67 wrote: »
    Hi new to this forum and to all this PPi,
    But after reading your post i am interested in how your provided further detail of your employment status at the time, being it was so far bac.
    the reason i am asking is that i am also chasing a Dorothy Perkins claim and and i believe i worked less than 16 hours a week back then having a young family etc, but i am not sure how i would go about proving this?
    thanks

Hi,

It was quite easy for me as I was a modern apprentice at the time so I was able to provide copies of qualification certificates which covered the relevant period. Have you maybe a copy of a contract of employment or proof of your national insurance contributions for that year, P60 etc?
  • Applied last year, received letter stating why my claim was not valid. I was ill at the time so did not pursue this.
    Out of the blue telephone call from Santander about three weeks ago stating they needed more info. Gave them brief details over the phone but said i would need to check paperwork and arranged for them to call me back a couple of days later. They didn't so I phoned them, told me that the decision had been made..........£11,000!!! Received it within 5 working days....:j
    SCP # 034
    The £1000 emergency fund #59
  • manama
    manama Posts: 81 Forumite
    Was this for ppi or Plevin !!!8216;so very confused!!!8217;
  • so_very_confused
    so_very_confused Posts: 1,081
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    manama wrote: »
    Was this for ppi or Plevin !!!8216;so very confused!!!8217;

PPI claim.