Capital One PPI Claim Help

Hello, i recently used the Capital One PPI checker and they emailed to confirm I had PPi attached to a credit card, included a reference and date of sale. I then completed a complaint form on Resolver and Cap1 wrote to say it is being investigated. Today i called them to see if there was an update to which I was told, yes there was, and that i didnt have PPI. I said I'd had the email confirming I did and he replied that any request using the checker comes back as saying you have PPI then when they investigate they find out you actually didnt. That doesn't sound right to me at all. Any advice appreciated? Thank you.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Today i called them to see if there was an update to which I was told, yes there was, and that i didnt have PPI. That doesn't sound right to me at all.
    If you don't believe them, send a Subject Access Request (SAR) letter. This will legally oblige them to send all information they have kept on file for you.

However, you are choosing to believe an automated "checker" over an actually complaint handler. I know which source I would give the most credence to.
  • What I am confused about and that doesnt sound right is being told that the checker automatically responds that you do have ppi, So what, it generates a account number and date of sale?. The information surely has to have been there for it to produce those bits of information.
  • [Deleted User]
    Forumite
    The information surely has to have been there for it to produce those bits of information.
    There is no need for "confusion".

The facts are simply that a complaint handler has told you that you didn't have PPI, despite an automated "checker" earlier telling you otherwise.

If the "information" is truly there, it will be sent to you when you SAR them. You have no other recourse unless you have documentation from your own archive which contradicts the Bank.

I understand you are choosing to believe the checker because it means a likely windfall for you, but you need to be realistic I think.

It's probably wise for you to wait until you get the actual rejection letter now....
  • I don't think you should assume or even have enough background information on me to "understand" that I am choosing to believe I had PPI as it could mean a windfall. If I didnt have PPI thats fine.

My point is the only reason i raised a complaint is because they said I did have PPI. As I said before, I dont understand their logic in them saying every account has had ppi, I guess mine is not to question why.
  • Just to update, I rang Capital One back and it turns out I did have PPI, my claim has been upheld and a refund is on its way to me. So I have no idea what the other guy was talking about!
  • [Deleted User]
    Forumite
    I rang Capital One back and it turns out I did have PPI, my claim has been upheld and a refund is on its way to me.
    By your own logic, this information could be incorrect too! :D

I'd now wait for typewritten letter upholding (or declining) your complaint, rather than rely on anything you hear on the telephone ;)
  • Haha, yep, It could well be! :D I will (im)patiently await the letter.
  • Arrived home to a letter from Capital One confirming they have upheld my complaint and I will be receiving a cheque within 10 days :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure