Citizen Financial Advisory Services

Hi,

I'm in a panic as I think I may have been scammed by company called Citizen Financial Advisory Services. I was contacted by them a few days ago, everyone seemed fine over the phone. I had used a company before and had some money back for ppi. Like most of my age, 20 years ago is a long time ago and I was lead to believe there was outstanding cards etc from the past. I was also told about new rules and that the amount before may well have been compensation or goodwill when they should have paid more. They sounded very knowledgeable. I had seen that a very known person to me had used a ppi company as well and had success of a large sum. I didn't check that this was the same company and have since found out it isn't. They said they need to check if I had a high enough claim and arranged a call back. They came back with the amount and I have to admit that I got carried away with how I would spend rather than check the small print. When I started the process, I was surprised there was a fee when it was no win no fee but was told that it was refundable if the claim was not successful. I went ahead although I had a niggle. I have since read the terms and conditions more thoroughly and wanted to pull out but I have realised that they may now have me over a barrel. I tried to stop the payment but credit card company are saying that as I have authorised it then they cannot stop it. They lead me to believe this was the safer way to pay. It says there is a 14 day calling off period but in a different sentence says that once they contact lenders then you cannot cancel which I now believe they could claim to have done straight away as I have signed letter of authority. I have no abillity according to their terms to cancel at any stage after that which doesn't feel right. It all is rather scary and I feel that eventually I will lose my £495 whatever I try to do......any advise welcome (other than you fool as I know I have been foolish)

Comments

• newatc
    newatc Posts: 835
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 March 2018 at 9:57PM
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5392618

Not very helpful in answering you question as I doubt you will get your money back from them.
  • There must be a way to cancel surely
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    wilkins77 wrote: »
    There must be a way to cancel surely
    Not without incurring a financial penalty.

Contact the Legal Ombudsman for individual advice, but don't expect to get anywhere near all your money back..
  • but why? surely someone should be stopping this happening. How are they able to operate? surely it must be illegal to take fees knowing that you have no intention to deliver
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,904
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Distance marketing rules apply. You can cancel within the cooling off period.
    I was also told about new rules and that the amount before may well have been compensation or goodwill when they should have paid more.

There are no rules in that respect. However, some banks have had to go back over old complaints proactively and review them. No CMC is required. The CMC just wants to get its name on the file just in case as you would have to pay the CMC even if the bank was going to contact you with further redress automatically.
    They said they need to check if I had a high enough claim and arranged a call back. They came back with the amount and I have to admit that I got carried away with how I would spend rather than check the small print.

They dont check anything. They make a figure up that will play to your greed and you sign up with pound signs in your eyes.
    but in a different sentence says that once they contact lenders then you cannot cancel which I now believe they could claim to have done straight away as I have signed letter of authority.

That is not enforceable. They cant add their own rules in that breach the law.

Contact the legal ombudsman. They normally like you to complain first to the firm and then use them if the firm and you cannot agree on the outcome. However, in similar cases like this the Legal Ombudsman has taken an interest when you appear to be missold by the CMC.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,004
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I feel that eventually I will lose my £495 whatever I try to do
    Did they take this fee upfront?, don't think they are allowed to do that.
    Contact the legal Ombudsman as dunstonh said, and cancel this agreement, get it in writing from the claims co that it is cancelled, when it is, call the banks and sort the PPI complaint out yourself.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    wilkins77 wrote: »
    [ I tried to stop the payment but credit card company are saying that as I have authorised it
    amersall wrote: »
    Did they take this fee upfront?
    Clearly they did.

Time is of the essence here. If the OP cancels within the cooling off period, he should get a complete refund. Otherwise, the firm will charge a cancellation fee.

As I said earlier, next port of call should be the Legal Ombudsman.
  • Hi there, i have read your post regarding this company and i myself have been a victim of this scam. After contacting them on numerous occassions as you are probably aware, they ask for further information regarding these PPI claims (which i have submitted) and no details ever change when you log in to your account with them, even after contacting them and requesting updates. I have today decided that i can probably kiss my £495.00 goodbye and learn from this experience but not before reporting them to ActionFraud.Police.UK which i could maybe suggest other people do to firstly stop these fraudsters conning anyone else and secondly to strengthen all of our cases should they be able to help any of us get back what we have paid them.
  • Hi there, I had same problem with this company. I have reported them to National Fraud site and phoned financial ombudsman to see what could be done, after speaking with them, if it is out with the time Citizen Financial Advisory Services say they will settle your claim AND you have paid this fee with your credit card you may be able to claim it back from your credit card company under section 75 (however, this must be done within 6 months). Thankfully i am getting my money back through credit card, lesson learned for me and hopefully you are successful also. As of 2 days ago CFA are not even answering their phone. Good luck
  • I to got scammed.
    by this very charming ,plausible, convincing ,piece of !!!! namely Ross Jones.
    £495 he took from me.
    I'm looking for him.
    no email contact.
    no address.
    no phone number.
    no contact addresses.
    no trace of them .
    wonder what they are doing now .
    possibly walking round with charity tins for cancer research.
    hope you need that research money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport