varifocals again or 2 pairs of glasses?

Hello,

I've had varifocals for almost 10 years now, and each time I've needed a new pair, it has taken a lot of time and a few re-adjustments to get them 'right'.

I'm off for another eye test soon and was toying with the idea of simply getting 2 pairs of glasses - one for reading and one for distance.

Any advice or experience would be welcome.

I should also add that I've got my specs each time from the 'should-have-gone-to' place and am also toying with purchasing from elsewhere - again, advice and suggestions most welcome.

Many thanks,

apple muncher
NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!

Comments

• pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I too have worn varifocals for a number of years but I could not contemplate switching to two pairs of specs. It would mean constantly taking off a pair and putting another on, irritating.

An example, watching tv and using my iPad. Something I do a lot. I would not be able to see the tv if I was wearing reading glasses or vice versa.
  • pattycake wrote: »
    I too have worn varifocals for a number of years but I could not contemplate switching to two pairs of specs. It would mean constantly taking off a pair and putting another on, irritating.

An example, watching tv and using my iPad. Something I do a lot. I would not be able to see the tv if I was wearing reading glasses or vice versa.

Definitely agree with this. Much better to have varifocals even if you do have to keep going back to get them right - when you have them right then that is a much better option than two pairs.

As to where to get them from- mine are from spec savers also - no complaints. I have had them from boots too.
  • newatc
    newatc Posts: 845 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Agree with those above, Varifocals everytime for me. I also use Specsavers, I'm always impressed you can go into any of their branches with a problem with your glasses and they will try to sort it.
  • I'm sticking with varifocals, even if they do take a while to adjust when you get a new pair. I get mine from Vision Express.

I wouldn't be able to drive if I had to rely on two (or in my case three!) pairs of glasses.

And Vision Express have always been more than helpful when it came to getting the glasses just right.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • adandem
    adandem Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    newatc wrote: »
    Agree with those above, Varifocals everytime for me. I also use Specsavers, I'm always impressed you can go into any of their branches with a problem with your glasses and they will try to sort it.

Can you? We were refused at another branch because they said each store is individually owned?
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    I've had varifocals for years, been with speccysavers for years. My last pair didn't feel right, I had to tilt my head a lot, and I couldn't see distance very well. I went back and the woman was very helpful, they only needed minor adjustments, altered the angle. It's all to do with the fitting. Perfect vision after that. She looked at my records and said she had fitted me with the last pair.

ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Varifocal wearers wont go back to separate pairs without a bit of a fight, Ive had to take varis off people for medical reasons and its been a bloody nightmare. Definitely get varifocals even if you need to downgrade the lens and take a bit of time adjusting to that.
  • newatc
    newatc Posts: 845 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    adandem wrote: »
    Can you? We were refused at another branch because they said each store is individually owned?

Well I've never been refused (including going into Specsavers in Sydney which did surprise me). Perhaps it depends on the size of the problem and the staff themselves. I think most have mine have been replacing screws and straightening side of the frame.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    newatc wrote: »
    Well I've never been refused (including going into Specsavers in Sydney which did surprise me). Perhaps it depends on the size of the problem and the staff themselves. I think most have mine have been replacing screws and straightening side of the frame.

I've walked into Vision Express and they've sorted missing screws and lost nose pads on glasses they didn't supply, at no charge. I think they look on it as goodwill - and hope you'll go back as a paying customer, which I have.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'd keep with the varifocals too, I've had mine for a few years now and wouldn't change them to two pairs.

Must admit though that I find them awkward when I'm on the computer and use a pair of the cheap reading glasses for that.

My optician said that my distance vision wasn't too bad and if I didn't need glasses for reading he probably would have said leave it for a while.

I'm a type 1 diabetic so have very regular check ups.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure