Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

Comments

• I signed up to the recent Vodafone broadband deal that was on MSE for £20pm, everything is up and running with no problems, so thanks Voda!
    Unfortunately I didn't keep a not of how I claim the £25 cashback and the deal has gone now. Does anybody have the details please?

Thanks
  • terrierlady
    terrierlady Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    year long deal now up need to switch as they want 37.50 per month. need broadband line rental and calls included. No heavy downloads so just standard line.Any good deals spotted?
    my bark is worse than my bite!!!!!!!!
  • leew
    leew Posts: 726
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Another after a deal after mine went from £15 to £33!! Joke!

Im with Virgin, so need something fast as I stream a fair bit.

Cheers
  • Pescur
    Pescur Posts: 51
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    What can anyone tell me about Vodafone 52mb Fibre at £20 a month?

Do they use BT Infrastructure the way Sky do on basic BB?

Do they traffic shape?

Are speeds realistic or like Virgin with kit over subscribed?

Do they do credit checks?

Do they charge a cessation fee?

Investingating deal I am not that impressed, £20 per month deal took me to a page that charges £25 a month (no I do not live in expensive area), plus they want an eye watering £60 new line charge, this is nonsense, I do not need a new line.

Sky only charge £20 for an actual new line and nothing if you had any sort of BT infrastructure before, even when I moved they did not charge me for the move because they said there was an issue with porting the number (which I did not even use).

I am using free hotspots at the moment so BB costing me nothing, last deal I had was Sky and cost me £65ish for the year, so Vodafone stands no chance of getting me to pay £60 new line fee nor Plusnet who charge £49 (not checked as was too damn complicated to figure out).

Not visited this site for a few years but came back 4 months ago looking for good basic broadbamd deal; time was that MSE was THE place to come to get the best deals, sometimes they even showed a way to get a combined MSE and TopCashBack deal.

Now it seems to be utter rubbish, the average "street price" for BB is around £17 a month so £13 a month is NOTHING to should about, especially when it is loaded with hidden charges. Has been the same crap for months.

Seems they are not offering decent BB deals in an attempt to make us move to fibre deals like Vodafone but after the year is over you are back to square one. I have never had fibre before, if you terminate it does it count as a new line install if you go back to BB?

Is there another site anyone can recommend or is this the state of the uncompetive market that was predicted when competitors were allowed to merge?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Pescur wrote: »

YES its BT OR .
  • Pescur
    Forumite
    Thanks

Well that answers one question!

[STRIKE] Do they use BT Infrastructure the way Sky do on basic BB?
    [/STRIKE]
    Do they traffic shape?

Are speeds realistic or like Virgin with kit over subscribed?

Do they do credit checks?

Do they charge a cessation fee?

Investingating deal I am not that impressed, £20 per month deal took me to a page that charges £25 a month (no I do not live in expensive area), plus they want an eye watering £60 new line charge, this is nonsense, I do not need a new line.

Sky only charge £20 for an actual new line and nothing if you had any sort of BT infrastructure before, even when I moved they did not charge me for the move because they said there was an issue with porting the number (which I did not even use).

I am using free hotspots at the moment so BB costing me nothing, last deal I had was Sky and cost me £65ish for the year, so Vodafone stands no chance of getting me to pay £60 new line fee nor Plusnet who charge £49 (not checked as was too damn complicated to figure out).

Not visited this site for a few years but came back 4 months ago looking for good basic broadbamd deal; time was that MSE was THE place to come to get the best deals, sometimes they even showed a way to get a combined MSE and TopCashBack deal.

Now it seems to be utter rubbish, the average "street price" for BB is around £17 a month so £13 a month is NOTHING to should about, especially when it is loaded with hidden charges. Has been the same crap for months.

Seems they are not offering decent BB deals in an attempt to make us move to fibre deals like Vodafone but after the year is over you are back to square one. I have never had fibre before, if you terminate it does it count as a new line install if you go back to BB?

Is there another site anyone can recommend or is this the state of the uncompetive market that was predicted when competitors were allowed to merge?

JJ_Egan wrote: »

YES its BT OR .
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 1 January 2018 at 10:56AM

This reads as though you think it's MSE's fault that no better deals are shown?

The other major comparison site would be https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/ but unlike MSE, although they acknowledge set-up fees and pre-paid Mastercards for instance they don't roll it into the monthly price.

The prices are what they are.

Edit: perhaps they do allow for set-up fees and pre-paid Mastercards as the results when sorting by price (low to high) makes no sense otherwise.
  • Pescur
    Forumite
    I think it is two things. one is a dysfunctional market, the other is that MSE has changed.

Before being purchased by MoneySupermarket MSE used to split their affiliate commissions with us so it always had better deals. It was then able to negotiate even better deals because of the huge number of people on their list.

They still try to this on the energy club but loads of groups do that, even newspapers.

It seems to me that over time MSE has been offering less and less in terms of unique deals.
  • ffox
    ffox Posts: 53 Forumite
    The street price appears to be more like £20 rather than £17.
  • Pescur
    Forumite
    That is true, it has been edging up and at the same time less and less decent offers.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback