EDF Simply Fixed February 2018

Options
oxters
oxters Posts: 456 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I am on the February group switch.

Is February the biggest or only bulk switching month please?

Apparently I can save by switching now (but still under penalty)

I think I should save more by waiting until I am advised of the best bid in February.

I know we can never be certain of anything, but is my thinking generally correct?

Thank you.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    oxters wrote: »

I think I should save more by waiting until I am advised of the best bid in February.

I know we can never be certain of anything, but is my thinking generally correct?

Thank you.

Collective switches are no longer what they were. Suppliers are no longer interested in mass migrations and would rather target their marketing and referral fees in different ways. For example, many people have got a £100 credit in the past month for just switching to Bulb. This offer has now been reduced down to £50 but Bulb will also pay your exit fees. There are other similar deals out there. You need to do a full market comparison; look carefully at separate suppliers and at cashback sites. Getting the cheapest energy now requires consumers to be more proactive. Waiting for Martin’s team may cost you money. Then again it may not; if that is the case, you can always switch again.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I went onto a new contract with edf as my old one was up.

Great, because with the new contract came a full years breakdown cover for my boiler.
    Saves me an awful lot of money, my service agreement comes to an end this mid month and
    i was about to renew at around £30 a month cover.

Never ever had a problem with EDF either.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Thank you.

You can switch whenever you like, but you are wise to have considered the effect of any early exit fee.

If you believe you will not recover the cost of such fee in the short period left to run, then delay switching.
    Remember, you can switch penalty free 49 days (7 weeks), so if your deal ends 28th Feb, then you can start switching early January. Something to do after you've taken the decorations down :)
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have you actually done your own sums, rather than just looking at what a comparison site reckons you'll save.

Dont forget that you'll be using most of your energy between now and February and you'll have the exit penalties to pay, so unless the kwh rate is significantly less than you are paying at the moment I'd have a rethink.

I'll be using around 45% of my annual consumption in the next three months so make sure you take your winter consumption into consideration
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 December 2017 at 12:33PM
    Options

Thank you.

Seems you could have saved over £100 a year when you first took the EDF tariff... and you asked what to do and the reponses given was to go on price.
    (I'm sure they meant the cheapest, not the most expensive)
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=72101881&postcount=79

But I see you tend not to hang around for responses...:cool:

No early exit fees with that cheaper supplier either, and if they were the cheapest back in February, they probably still are the cheapest even after their price hike a couple of months back.

Good luck!
  • oxters
    Options
    I hadn’t ticked the notifications box. Thank you to all for helpful replies.
    We are off skiing in early January so probably wait till we get back and get a penalty free switch. On my second contract with EDF and my experiences put them at the top of my preferences, but Bulb might tempt me.
  • oxters
    Options
    Getting a bit spooked with the North Sea pipeline being cracked on land not too far from my home city, coupled with gas plant problems in Austria handling Russian Gas! Bulb is a variable rate which could shoot up if industry prices rise. I am thinking of going for a fix with an unrated company while I can still get a 1 year fix.

Any thoughts? I suppose the rate might go up between application and supply, or they might decline the switch if prices are about to rise.

A second opinion would be appreciated.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Getting a bit spooked with the North Sea pipeline being cracked on land not too far from my home city, coupled with gas plant problems in Austria handling Russian Gas! Bulb is a variable rate which could shoot up if industry prices rise. I am thinking of going for a fix with an unrated company while I can still get a 1 year fix.

Any thoughts? I suppose the rate might go up between application and supply, or they might decline the switch if prices are about to rise.

A second opinion would be appreciated.

If they ACCEPT your application to switch today, on a fixed tariff, and it takes 5 weeks to take over your supply, then your tariff rate is guaranteed even if the tariff is revoked next week.

Remember, energy suppliers forward buy - some do so years in advance of supply. It is also worth noting that the wholesale price of energy accounts for less than 40p in every £ that we pay. If the wholesale price doubled overnight, then the increase would only be in the order of 20%. I wouldn’t panic just yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure