PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,246 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    What's the problem Karcher?
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 November 2017 at 7:12PM
    Options
    Floss wrote: »
    What's the problem Karcher?

Hi Floss :D

I am currently using a 2nd hand laptop which I was given about a year ago, to replace my old laptop which really had seen better days.

This new (to me) one now has a dodgy screen which makes it hard to use, so I have just done a factory restore of my old laptop to see if it is better than this one.

I am now going through and installing all the windows updates but it is Windows 8.1 (i?) and I was wondering about whether it was possible to upgrade it again to Windows 10. (It had been updated in the past but obviously this factory restore has taken it back to Win8)

Are you still with me :o:D

So my question is, if it works ok, will I be able to get a download of Windows 10 or do I just stick with 8?

Thank you in advance and I hope all that makes sense..trust me I really haven't a clue :o

:D xx
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    Hi Floss :D

I am currently using a 2nd hand laptop which I was given about a year ago, to replace my old laptop which really had seen better days.

This new (to me) one now has a dodgy screen which makes it hard to use, so I have just done a factory restore of my old laptop to see if it is better than this one.

I am now going through and installing all the windows updates but it is Windows 8.1 (i?) and I was wondering about whether it was possible to upgrade it again to Windows 10. (It had been updated in the past but obviously this factory restore has taken it back to Win8)

Are you still with me :o:D

So my question is, if it works ok, will I be able to get a download of Windows 10 or do I just stick with 8?

Thank you in advance and I hope all that makes sense..trust me I really haven't a clue :o

:D xx

Just to add, I thought it had finished it's updates..it's done loads, but it now tells me I have 178 updates to download :eek:

Methinks it may take a while.
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,246 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I would let it run its updates, then see how it is playing. If you aren't happy, log onto the Microsoft website to see if it is compatible for Win10. Otherwise maybe have a nosy on the Techie board.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ok, dad went into hosp last Tuesday and we have been given 'the talk' for the third time, about him maybe not pulling through. He had a bad night, his bp hit the floor and he back on 70% oxygen. His pneumonia is not shifting and he is refusing most food. We sat with him this morning and then late afternoon and managed to get him to drink high protein drink they gave him but that and lucozade is all he has had today. I see no improvement at all. Doc said he is on a knife edge and while they are still trying to get him better the odds are dwindling. It's really wierd because he looks ok (thanks to the O2), and he's chatting away inbetween sleeping, but he is so poorly.

Worse, he thought he was going to die on Monday, now he telling people he is getting better.

Just so thankful that he is not in pain and the staff have been fantastic.

It's a thoroughly unpleasant waiting game and in reality there is only one likely outcome.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MMF007, oh my dear, so many of us have been where you are now and we can feel for you. It's a hard thing but try to enjoy these days with your Dad. They are precious and will give you memories to cherish in days to come.
    You know don't you that we are all with you in spirit. I wish we could change all these virtual hugs into real ones but you are surrounded by loving thoughts and prayers.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My brother and I are being strong for dad and for mum. I only get weepy when people are kind. Now look what you've done!

My brother has gone back south (he drove up last week, went home after 2 days, but flew up yester when things took a big dip). We sent him back home this morning, for now.
    I am looking after mum and DB will come up if needed.
    We had several talks and are all singing from the hymn sheet re dad's care / ultimate decisions, should they be needed, and even what we expect of each other regarding racing around to be in the 'right place at the right time'. Thankfully we are all in agreement so we shall have no recriminations later.

Right, off to get some rest :)
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    MMF007 ((Hugs)) xx
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    All of you are in my thoughts MMF . Upsetting and exhausting as it is , it is a time to stay close and share love together . Whatever the outcome the care your father is receiving sounds as good as it can be which must be a comfort to you all .
    Hope you get some restful sleep .

polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thoughts are with you and your family MMF. such a very difficult time xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts