Marriage Allowance

Comments

• polymaff wrote: »
    Haven't you understood, yet? Have I wasted my time? The HMRC advice you quote is nonsense.

Yes I’ve understood, don’t get so stroppy! I’m just showing how what is written as eligibility on their site is utter nonsense and confusing to the layman.

And them saying that they’ll check, in their email, presumably to ensure you have earned nothing or less than £11500 before they process the claim, is nonsense.
    We’re paying it back so that’s it.

Thanks for your input.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 November 2017 at 2:17PM
    Since HMRC had to outsource their IT their website has become (let's keep it polite) unreliable. I think it would be interesting to find out how much it saved, not forgetting to deduct from those savings how much extra they are having to pay for call centres to answer the phones & extra letters that are needed when this sort of thing happens.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Yes I’ve understood, don’t get so stroppy! I’m just showing how what is written as eligibility on their site is utter nonsense and confusing to the layman.

And them saying that they’ll check, in their email, presumably to ensure you have earned nothing or less than £11500 before they process the claim, is nonsense.
    We’re paying it back so that’s it.

Thanks for your input.

That is your assumption not what is said.

They could just be checking that the marriage allowance transfer was available for the year/s you claim, not whether you are entitled to claim it.
  • Hello,

Is this tax claiming applicable for people living in UK n Tier 2 Visa as well?
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    sheramber wrote: »

That is your assumption not what is said.

They could just be checking that the marriage allowance transfer was available for the year/s you claim, not whether you are entitled to claim it.

The wording is actually that they will check at the end of the tax year and notify if there is any tax due to be repaid or refunded.

The whole process is automated when done online. If the donor submits the claim and selects the box to confirm they understand the rules etc, then the claim goes through.

The information on the website makes it clear that responsibility lies with the person submitting the information.

Having dealt with hundreds of these claims I can honestly say that the biggest reason for things going wrong is because people dont read the information properly before submitting the claim.

Or they vastly underestimate what income they or their spouse are due to receive.

People also seem to be completely unaware of the effect that transferring 10% of their allowance has to their allowances, i. E that their allowance will reduce, so for the current year giving away 10% of the 11500 leaves them with only 10350 allowances, so if their income is below 11500 but above 10350 it will create a tax liability.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • Can you claim for the last two years if you are currently ineligible (I am on maternity leave and being the basic rate tax payer will not earn enough to pay tax this year)
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Jen*H wrote: »
    Can you claim for the last two years if you are currently ineligible (I am on maternity leave and being the basic rate tax payer will not earn enough to pay tax this year)
    If you were eligible in the years you want to claim for then you should claim. Make sure you tell HMRC the year(s) for which you want to claim.

I am assuming from what you say that neither you nor your spouse will be liable for tax this year.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Jen*H wrote: »
    Can you claim for the last two years if you are currently ineligible (I am on maternity leave and being the basic rate tax payer will not earn enough to pay tax this year)

If you want to limit the years you apply for I would be inclined to do it in writing so you have proof what years you specified. If you do it by phone you could land up with unexpected bills for years you did not include.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    kothurthi wrote: »
    . . . Is this tax claiming applicable for people living in UK n Tier 2 Visa as well?
    My understanding is that all you need is to have a National Insurance number (if you also qualify in terms of your incomes).
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • badmemory wrote: »
    If you want to limit the years you apply for I would be inclined to do it in writing so you have proof what years you specified. If you do it by phone you could land up with unexpected bills for years you did not include.

I agree. Good advice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure