Porting number nightmare - advice needed please

herman2811
herman2811 Posts: 1,080 Forumite
I was with Virgin Mobile, and got a PAC, which I gave to my new provider: The People's Operator (TPO).

As per TPO's procedure, I activated their sim before giving giving them the PAC, and was told the transfer usually happens the next working day but can take up to 3 days in "rare" case. More than 2 weeks later, I'm still waiting!

Soon after giving the PAC, the Virgin sim stopped working. Soon after that, the TPO sim stopped receiving calls/texts, although it does still allow me to make calls (with the TPO number).

I really need to keep the number I'm trying to transfer, but it's now been about 2.5 weeks since I haven't been contactable on both the TPO and Virgin numbers... Virgin say they have done everything required of them at their end, and TPO's customer service seem pretty useless, constantly telling me that they are working on it, and have escalated it, and that I simply have to wait 1-3 days each time they resubmit the port request.

Can anyone please advise?! I really don't want to lose the number I'm trying to port, but am concerned I will have to :-(

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 June 2017 at 11:19AM
    Unfortunately most of the MVNO's rely on third parties for most of their background technological support including the porting of numbers, including porting. It's probable that this is done by 3 on TPO's behalf. I suggest you make a formal complaint to TPO, make sure you get a complaint number.

TPO's complaint's procedure can be found here: https://www.thepeoplesoperator.com/Complaints
  • herman2811
    pmduk wrote: »
    Unfortunately most of the MVNO's rely on third parties for most of their background tefhnological support inluding the porting of numbers, including porting. It's probable that this is done by 3 on TPO's behalf. I suggest you make a formal complaint to TPO, make sure you get a complaint number.

TPO's complaint's procedure can be found here: https://www.thepeoplesoperator.com/Complaints

Thanks.
    Yes, TPO are using 3, and are basically fobbing me off saying they have done everything they can and are just waiting for 3 to sort it out.
    Pretty useless, frankly.
  • pmduk
    It's probably the case that the issue is with 3 but it remains TPO's responsibility, if they try to fob you off with the problem being caused by 3 it is for them to sort. They should be on the case rather than letting it slide. Go down the formal complaint route.
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    This is the problem with all MVNO's. The odds are there's one person at 3 that deals with all TPO's tech issues and they work through them in the order that arrive and the only way TPO can commutate with them is with email.
  • pmduk
    It depends on the MVNO and the supplying network; BT Mobile has a sophisticated setup for its customer networks but they have quite a few networks they supply with services (through EE). You may however be correct about 3!
  • herman2811
    It's probably the case that the issue is with 3 but it remains TPO's responsibility, if they try to fob you off with the problem being caused by 3 it is for them to sort. They should be on the case rather than letting it slide. Go down the formal complaint route.

I've actually logged a complaint with Ofcom, who like you, suggested to open a complaint directly with TPO, which I have now done by email. Let's see what happens now...
  • pmduk
    Unfortunately Ofcom do not take on individual complaints but look at an analysis of complaints a network receives. If there are a slew of compaints for a network about porting it may lead to Ofcom action ie a fine or enforcement action. Make sure you get TPO's complaint number to ensure it has been properly recorded.
  • daddydodo
    daddydodo Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I shall be complaing too as my number has not ported. Similar story to OP but only 5 days without my number! I reckon I've ported my number around the different networks 6 times without any issue - until now. How can everyone else get it right but TPO make a balls up. Very frustrating.
  • pmduk
    As described earlier the problem lies almost certainly with 3 not with TPO. Three has very few MVNOs to service and doesn't appear to have much experience in this area. Last year Virgin Mobile were rumoured to be considering to move to 3 but industry rumour has it the lack of 3's experience and consequent disruption to customers was seen as the major obstacle to this and a further contract was signed with BT Mobile.
  • daddydodo
    daddydodo Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    As described earlier the problem lies almost certainly with 3 not with TPO. Three has very few MVNOs to service and doesn't appear to have much experience in this area. Last year Virgin Mobile were rumoured to be considering to move to 3 but industry rumour has it the lack of 3's experience and consequent disruption to customers was seen as the major obstacle to this and a further contract was signed with BT Mobile.

My question would be - will I ever get my previous number back, or has it disappeared ....? Any ideas??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure