PPI claim rejected by Santander

Hello all

As usual, can I have some advice please?

I opened two separate store card accounts with GE Money about 18 years ago. I honestly only discovered last year that I had signed up for a PPI policy on both accounts. The reason I didn't realise before is both accounts were closed many years ago and I was cleaning up some ancient paperwork while I saw the card statements.

I contacted GE Money and they referred me to Santandar. I filled in a PPI questionare for Santandar and later they got back to me saying I was only paying PPI on one of the two accounts. Santander sent me a copy of the original application form and told me I did tick the box to opt in the PPI, they argued I must know about the PPI, but I said to Santandar the application was happened at a Debenhams store, I did not recall I was explained or discussed if the PPI was suitable or valid to me. Furthermore, the original form clearly shows I was not employed (neither full time nor part time) at the time I applied for the store card. So in my opinion I was straight away not qualified for the PPI, but still GE Money carried on taking the premium from me. I guess I wasn't paying the PPI on the second account because whoever processed my application knew I would not be covered, so GE Money did not take any money from me for the PPI on the second account.

I contacted Santander to make the point that I did not have any regular income, so the PPI would not be valid. But then Santander now says I made a claim successfully on my store card account in the past, that gives them more reasons to say my PPI claim is rejected now.

It was correct that I made a claim on my store card account while it was running, but the claim was not made via PPI and it had nothing to do with the PPI. I was told being a store card account holder, if I purchased something in full price and the the item became cheaper within a period of time, I was allowed to claim for the difference. This is what I did, I made a claim for the difference, that's all.

Santander never explained the claim was to do with the price difference, all they say is I have made a claim on my account in the past, so now they reject my PPI claim. I really don't think that is a reason for the rejection at all.

Obviously, this is my view and my opinion on my PPI claim with Santander, I don't know if I am right or not here...

Any comment or advice is much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 February 2017 at 3:32PM
    As usual, if you feel your complaint has been incorrectly rejected you have six months in which to refer it to the Ombudsman.

I don't think Santander will have said they have rejected your complaint solely on the basis that you made a price promise claim, simply that this is evidence that you knew about the account and would have been checking your statements. Each statement would clearly have shown the PPI which you would doubtless have seen while checking for questionable price fluctuations you made a claim about.

Just to add that saying you didn't know about the PPI is one of the weakest complaints you can make about store (and credit) cards, because PPI is itemised on a separate line on each monthly statement where the account has a remaining balance. If, as they say, you opted for the PPI voluntarily then you really don't have a complaint regardless of it being of no use to you.
  • BartyBoy
    BartyBoy Posts: 407 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As usual, if you feel your complaint has been incorrectly rejected you have six months in which to refer it to the Ombudsman.

Thanks for your comment.

I took a different company about a PPI claim to FOS before, and FOS told me the regulation was only started in 2000, so any mis-sold PPI before that, FOS is not able to look into.
  • BartyBoy wrote: »
    I took a different company about a PPI claim to FOS before, and FOS told me the regulation was only started in 2000, so any mis-sold PPI before that, FOS is not able to look into.
    That's by no means the case with all Ombudsman referrals. Regulation of insurance actually began in 2005, but long before that for Banks.

If you have had an Ombudsman leaflet included in your rejection letter (as is required if the sale was regulated) then you can definitely refer it.

If not, then your complaint is at an end I'm afraid.
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    BartyBoy wrote: »

I opened two separate store card accounts with GE Money about 18 years ago. I honestly only discovered last year that I had signed up for a PPI policy on both accounts. The reason I didn't realise before is both accounts were closed many years ago and I was cleaning up some ancient paperwork while I saw the card statements.

I contacted GE Money and they referred me to Santandar. I filled in a PPI questionare for Santandar and later they got back to me saying I was only paying PPI on one of the two accounts. Santander sent me a copy of the original application form and told me I did tick the box to opt in the PPI, they argued I must know about the PPI, but I said to Santandar the application was happened at a Debenhams store, I did not recall I was explained or discussed if the PPI was suitable or valid to me.

Any comment or advice is much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

Santander UK are now dealing with this GE Money liability from the then Arcadia Group of stores' cards (DP, TopShop, Burton, Debenhams and so on). The successful route claimants are currently finding is:

Santander > FOS (Ombudsman) > Genworth (the underwriter)

Address on the link:

www.mirror.co.uk/money/you-used-store-card-1990s-7114139
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • Mersey wrote: »
    Santander UK are now dealing with this
    The OP clearly states that he complained to Santander and I already advised he could go to the Ombudsman?
  • Mersey_2
    edited 12 February 2017 at 6:03PM
    Read the whole sentence, Moneyineptitude.

The only reason I felt the need to respond, is because you - wrongly - stated that the OP's claim, "was at an end" if the FOS then rejects it, which you know is not true with these store cards.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • Mersey wrote: »
    you - wrongly - stated that the OP's claim, "was at an end" if the FOS then rejects it, which you know is not true with these store cards.
    My post said no such thing.

I said the complaint was "at an end" if the Ombudsman is not accessible due to it being pre-regulation.

I didn't suggest Genworth as a further recourse, but your response was not worded in a manner which suggested that was an additional complaint the OP might make to the insurer.
  • BartyBoy
    BartyBoy Posts: 407 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mersey wrote: »
    Santander > FOS (Ombudsman) > Genworth (the underwriter)

With the underwriter, what can they do for me please?

The reason I asked is because I have another PPI claim that the company who sold me the policy would not take the responsibility of the mis-sold. I then found out who was the underwriter and I contacted them, but they told me to complain to the original company which sold me the policy instead, so I am like running in a circle here.

Many thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 February 2017 at 9:39PM
    BartyBoy wrote: »
    I have another PPI claim that the company who sold me the policy would not take the responsibility of the mis-sold. I then found out who was the underwriter and I contacted them, but they told me to complain to the original company which sold me the policy instead, so I am like running in a circle here.
    That is often reportedly the case with underwriter complaints. Others report success, but it's not a guaranteed route.
  • Mersey_2
    My post said no such thing.

your response was not worded in a manner which suggested that was an additional complaint the OP might make to the insurer.

Again, I suggest you simply re-read the above.

If you didn't mean to state the OP's claim was, "at an end" [if the FOS reject it], perhaps you should not have said so.

Incidentally, I stated Santander > FOS > Genworth is currently proving to be the successful route for such store card claimants, so you appear to have misread both your own post and my reply!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure