Help - Tax Credits Review now she wont let me see my kids!

aj76
aj76 Posts: 17 Forumite
edited 8 August 2012 at 1:38PM in Tax credits & benefits for work
Hi

Seperated from ex 4 years ago, I worked away too much and it just wasn't going well. Have 3 kids and when home I stay and work from my mums and visit the kids as much as I can pick them up from school.

When we split I agreed to leave the joint mortgage coming from the joint account, as I visit at least twice a week when home I didn't bother with the messing about of moving things other than work related stuff, i just picked it up or she passed it to me when dropping the kids off. Worked fine until now!

She came back from holiday yesterday, where my 7 year old nearly died!, to a review letter saying I was living at the house I pay for. She spoke to HMRC and they say they want proof of me being at my mums but my payslips and their letters aren't good enough?????? Now she wont let me see him or my other two kids.

I was taken off the electoral roll after I moved out but have always done everything for my kids. The problem seems to be that I took out a contract sim for my eldest and used the address where she lives as the joint bank account is still there so my credit history/rating I got made redundant last year and got a reasonable payout so treated my kids to some luxury items, big screen TV, Latop ipods that sort of thing and as they were going to that address for the kids thats what I gave the retailers. She has health problems that mean my eldest is her carer and as a result of someone trying to jump in front of her car who then claimed for cash cos they didn't die!!!!! she couldn't afford the insurance. She was told at the beginning of the year that she will need spinal surgery and I agreed to insure the car a)to keep my no claims going after losing company car with redudancy and b) so my kids could keep doing all there activities and I could then take them places too as I haven't been able to afford a car of my own yet. I did cycle 20 miles round trips to see them apart from when they get dropped off for sunday lunch

With her impending surgery I had got her to agree to let me share my sons room from after she has the operation so I can take them to school, pick them up etc, as she will have about 3 months rehab. Obviously going to inform the tax credits people when it happened but this letter has totally freaked her out. She has banned me from seeing the kids and said the arrangement for looking after them is off because of this stupid letter, shes worried she'll get prosecuted and sent to prison and they will not believe her if she has to phone in a few months to update them to say I'm going to be there to look after the kids. I have tried reasoning with her to point out that her medical records will back up the change but she is having none of it. I love my kids and am at my wits end. Can anyone please help?

I have spent he past day and a bit trying to get through to my local CAB but no joy so hope to get some help here.

Also HMRC have always been told I was paying the mortgage for my kids instead of maintenance and getting caught up in CSA and all that rubbish. Bills are all in her name and she gives that to me.

She told HMRC as I see it its my house whilst I'm paying for it and didn't see the point in moving things as the post arrangement worked.

Thanks
aj76
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family