EGG claim they wrote to me about PPI

Hi All,

EGG have rejected my PPI claim as they said they wrote to me over 3 years ago and I never responded. However, I didn't receive any letter? If I did I certainly wouldn't have ignored it. I will now raise the complaint to the FOS but wanted to know if anyone else has had a similar experience and what the outcome was?

Thanks

Blunder

Comments

• socks_uk
    socks_uk Posts: 2,813
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It'll be interesting to see if I get the same response regarding writing to me 3 years ago. I've actually moved house and got married (so different name) since I closed the account!

Good Luck!
    DEBT FREE BY 60
    Starting Debt 21st August 2019 = £11,024
    Debt at May 2022 = £5268
    Debt Free Challenge - To be debt free by August 2024
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,904
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 26 May 2018 at 10:32AM
    I will now raise the complaint to the FOS but wanted to know if anyone else has had a similar experience and what the outcome was?

If you havent moved house then you would expect the FOS to refuse to consider the complaint if the timebar is valid. If you moved house then the FOS will say you didnt get it and overrule the timebar
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Blunder1 wrote: »
    EGG have rejected my PPI claim as they said they wrote to me over 3 years ago and I never responded. However, I didn't receive any letter? If I did I certainly wouldn't have ignored it.
    If you've moved house since closing your Egg account, the timebar won't apply. However, if you are still at the same address that the Bank wrote to you at then the letter will be assumed received by the Ombudsman.
  • Thanks for the reply!!!8217;s, I!!!8217;ll update once I hear back from the FOS
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Blunder1 wrote: »
    update once I hear back from the FOS
    No need to "update".

The facts are these;
    If you haven't moved, the FOS can do nothing since the letter is assumed received.

But if you moved prior to the letter then the timebar won't apply and the Bank will have to consider your complaint.

There is still no guarantee you will be successful, of course.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure