Head gasket blown or not?!

Comments

• smnb08
    smnb08 Posts: 488 Forumite
    Thanks all for the telling off re not knowing or wanting to know anything about cars.....I’ve been driving for 20 years and have never had a problem so far not knowing how to do these things.....so I’m happy to carry on the way I am.

Hareng....I know the cars runs fine as it has been checked and driven by a mechanic
    sealed pot challenge member #920
  • Jackmydad wrote: »
    Knowing how to check the oil, and as already said by others do the other checks that should be done, could save you a lot of money and grief.

I believe there is a requirement for basic knowledge of car maintenance in the driving test these days, but if the OP is happy .....
  • smnb08
    Good job I don’t need to take my driving test then isn’t it !

Yes I’m very happy thanks.
    just asked work colleagues and out of the 12 of us in today (2 males and 10 females) only three check said things themselves (2 males & 1 female)

As I thought, not just me then and certainly NOT essential!

We also all have no desire to learn, thanks for the advise tho.
  • My son-in-law bought a car from a woman who had never opened the bonnet (he checked the car was ok first). My sister-in-law asked me how to check the oil after owning the car for about 6 months and just having completed a long drive to see us :eek: Must be a woman thing!
  • smnb08 wrote: »
    just asked work colleagues and out of the 12 of us in today (2 males and 10 females) only three check said things themselves (2 males & 1 female)

As I thought, not just me then and certainly NOT essential! .
    I'll repeat what I put on your other thread: The plural of anecdote is not data.
    Put another way; the collective term for daft people is not "an intelligence".

You carry on your blissful way. You're the one on here with car problems, remember.
  • smnb08
    I'll repeat what I put on your other thread: The plural of anecdote is not data.
    Put another way; the collective term for daft people is not "an intelligence".

You carry on your blissful way. You're the one on here with car problems, remember.

Ohhh here he is again 😂

Have you got nothing better to do than criticise people?
    People come on here for genuine help and advise!
    If you haven’t got anything helpful or nice to say then why don’t you keep it to yourself? Now BORE OFF!
  • smnb08 wrote: »
    Ohhh here he is again ��

Have you got nothing better to do than criticise people?
    People come on here for genuine help and advise!
    If you haven’t got anything helpful or nice to say then why don’t you keep it to yourself? Now BORE OFF!
    *advice

:D
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    smnb08 wrote: »
    Thanks all for the telling off re not knowing or wanting to know anything about cars.....I’ve been driving for 20 years and have never had a problem so far not knowing how to do these things.....so I’m happy to carry on the way I am.

Hareng....I know the cars runs fine as it has been checked and driven by a mechanic
    Its part of the driving test. Learn.
    No, now.
    Seriously.
    Learn.
  • SHAFT
    SHAFT Posts: 565 Forumite
    Scrapit wrote: »
    Its part of the driving test. Learn.
    No, now.
    Seriously.
    Learn.

Is it? It wasn't when I did it and unlikely when the OP could have done it.
  • izzy65
    izzy65 Posts: 2,862
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    smnb08 wrote: »
    Good job I don’t need to take my driving test then isn’t it !

Yes I’m very happy thanks.

As I thought, not just me then and certainly NOT essential!

We also all have no desire to learn, thanks for the advise tho.
    SHAFT wrote: »
    Is it? It wasn't when I did it and unlikely when the OP could have done it.

Initially I had sympathy for the OP but she doesn't appear to appreciate how important checking a car is roadworthy is, and asking a mechanics to do it once every 6-12 months is NOT enough, maybe when a poorly serviced vehicle is in an accident with her or her daughter she will change her mind.
    As for Shafts comments, my FIL passed his test in a village without traffic lights, doesn't mean he can ignore them now, he had to learn them and roundabouts, although he still struggles with multiple lane roundabouts
    The person who never makes a mistake never learns anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure