Learn how to. Then teach your daughter. It’s 2019

Helpful. Thanks.
    sealed pot challenge member #920
  • benbay001
    benbay001 Posts: 408 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 September 2019 at 6:22AM
    Options
    So he thinks it doesnt have a blown head gasket, but is still going to replace parts of the cooling system, the fan and relay.

If the fan and relay arent working, there is a big chance the car has overheated at some point which would have very likely blown the head gasket.
    smnb08 wrote: »
    Helpful. Thanks.
    Well it is helpful. he suggested you check the oil, not rebuild the Eiffel Tower.
    Open the bonnet, pull the dipstick out, wipe it clean, put it back in, pull it back out and read the level.
    Im A Budding Neil Woodford.
  • smnb08
    smnb08 Posts: 488 Forumite
    Options
    Go see them in person then?

It’s a 70 mile round trip and I work full time.
    I don’t think I would get anywhere with them. They’ve told me so many lies and that’s only when I manage to get hold of them through using a different phone number.

Not sure I would trust them to do the works properly anyway.

Going to try and speak to them today and see if they will pay for the works to be done.
  • smnb08
    Options
    benbay001 wrote: »
    So he thinks it doesnt have a blown head gasket, but is still going to replace parts of the cooling system, the fan and relay.

If the fan and relay arent working, there is a big chance the car has overheated at some point which would have very likely blown the head gasket.

Well it is helpful. he suggested you check the oil, not rebuild the Eiffel Tower.
    Open the bonnet, pull the dipstick out, wipe it clean, put it back in, pull it back out and read the level.

Well he doesn’t just THINK the head gasket has gone, he did all the necessary checks to confirm it hasn’t.

Re the oil comment, I was referring to the fact that I’m on here asking for advise on people’s opinions about a head gasket, learning how to check the oil won’t help with what I’m asking.....that’s why I’m paying a mechanic, he will check the oil!
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    benbay001 wrote: »

The OP knows zero about cars, he has had a trusted mechanic check it out.
    Are there any other symptoms, does the engine run well?
  • smnb08
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    The OP knows zero about cars, he has had a trusted mechanic check it out.
    Are there any other symptoms, does the engine run well?

No other symptoms at all, it runs fine.
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Learn how to. Then teach your daughter. It’s 2019

OP...you may not think this is “helpful”, but anyone who drives a car should know how to do this. It’s a 30 second job and it’s just as easy for a woman to do it, as a man, mechanic or not!

Also...tyres need to be checked regularly. Screenwash needs to be topped up, as do other fluids. Relying on a mechanic to do this stuff is just silly, I’m a 54 year old woman and I do all of this without so much as chipping my nail polish (although I do wear gloves if I go anywhere near the tyres or engine!)

Get your daughter to watch YouTube videos, this stuff is essential knowledge for all car owners/drivers.
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    Re the oil comment, I was referring to the fact that I’m on here asking for advise on people’s opinions about a head gasket, learning how to check the oil won’t help with what I’m asking.....that’s why I’m paying a mechanic, he will check the oil!
    That's the whole point, it will help. That's why several of us have suggested it. You're welcome to pay a mechanic to check the oil if you like, but that's going to become an expensive exercise every week and one of the reasons you bought a £600 car was that it was all you could afford. It's therefore important that you know how to look after it.

It's important to regularly check the oil level, along with other things like coolant level, brake fluid level, tyre pressures, etc., especially on older cars that can start to consume oil, loose coolant through leaks, etc. You can laugh it off all you like but a little knowledge can catch problems before they become serious, expensive or terminal.

Too many people consider cars to be a semi-sealed unit that only needs to be opened and checked at the annual service. They're the people you see looking glum on the hard shoulder with an "it was only serviced six months ago" face.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Helpful. Thanks.
    Knowing how to check the oil, and as already said by others do the other checks that should be done, could save you a lot of money and grief.
  • hareng
    hareng Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Your asking the obvious any car driver should be able to do the most simple of tasks such as check oil, top up water etc.
    Apart from above symptoms mentioned the only OTHER way is someone to actually put oil in the coolant thats the only way.
    Simple 30 second check for yourself pull the dipstick out or undo the coolant expansion tank cap and have a look, its the most simple its even taught by driving instructors.

Last time i went to a head place it was littered with Peugot heads that had warped.
    Now this does beg the question if oil was put in coolant what else has been wrongly done.
    Lastly how do you know it runs fine or has the intended power.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure