Scammed over Reading ticket

Hello,
My daughter broke up with her boyfriend who had bought her a ticket for Reading.He didn’t give her the option to buy her ticket off him and the following day the tickets sold out.We have been trying to get her a ticket.We found one on FB and my husband paid a deposit to the seller via PayPal using his credit card.We went through family and friends and we paid a deposit of £80.
It has turned out to be a scam.My husband has been in touch with PayPal who say there is nothing they can do.Do we have any chance with the credit card company?
It is under £100 so we are not eligible under that clause are we? It’s fraud as now the person has stopped responding after stringing is along with excuse after excuse.
Would really value some advice on this.
TIA

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,533
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Action Fraud - would not be surprised if they already have a number of reports
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,034
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    Action Fraud - would not be surprised if they already have a number of reports

A week or so ago I would have agreed with you, just recently though there has been suggestions that they are a waste of time.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6037833

OP unfortunately I can't see anything here to suggest, using family and friends was a mistake, as I suspect you now realise. These festival tickets are being openly scammed now, most Facebook selling sites tend to warn against them and even if admin don't remove them there's usually a few other users pointing out that buyers should proceed with caution and only pay via a safe and actionable payment method.

I think you may need to write this off.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Hi, just a very quick update. The credit card company were amazing and have fully refunded my husband. We had to wait until after the event , but he has been refunded the full amount. We realise we have been very fortunate and will never go via that route again. We will use Twickets which we should have done in the first place, or better still just try and get tickets!
  • I think there was some discussion on Gumtree about scammers, it's affecting a lot of people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure