Morrison's Pay @ Pump doesn't take half my cards ?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    glider3560 wrote: »
    Why? It meets all the required standards. The only difference between that and branded fuel is the additive added to the fuel is different.

They add the least additives.

The Morrisons garage near us has been responsible for engine faults with people on more than one occasion and has had to pay compensation multiple times.

When you fill up with Morrisons petrol, the car feels lethargic. Of course, it will depend on your engine and whether you would notice it or not.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    edited 22 February 2018 at 4:49PM
    dunstonh wrote: »

The Morrisons garage near us has been responsible for engine faults with people on more than one occasion and has had to pay compensation multiple times.

When you fill up with Morrisons petrol, the car feels lethargic. Of course, it will depend on your engine and whether you would notice it or not.

Questionable as to whether this is a national issue. If it were then Morrisons would be extremely short-sighted.

Which refinery do they get their petrol from?

The additive mix is proprietary. Each retailer uses their own. The engine is designed, however, to run on petrol and all the petrol is the same.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

It's because Morrisons makes it.

Anyway it's been quite some time since I saw any distinction between online and offline cards in terms of their acceptance. That's if there are actually online and offline cards anymore. What I have found is that some retailers who accept American Express don't accept them contactlessly; Wilko is an example of that. Wilko is also an example of declining cards that should be accepted.

It probably comes down to the the payment processor. I'd say use the card which through experience you know will work.
  • ValiantSon
    Anthorn wrote: »
    It's because Morrisons makes it.

Morrisons don't make the petrol; they buy it from a refinery.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    There are only several refineries in the UK and all fuel originates from one these. The key is the additives and the storage period (as petrol can go off over time and poor storage can contaminate the fuel).

Morrisons in our area has suffered multiple times with contamination/storage issues and their fuel has low levels of additives. The rare times I have used Morrisons, the car has felt sluggish afterwards and that is something others have said as well.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • I have used a card multiple times at pay at pump stations when my balance has been below £99. Are you saying, in future, this may not be allowed if they scrap the £1 authorisation?

That would be annoying as a local station to me is an ASDA which is pay at pump only.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    There are only several refineries in the UK and all fuel originates from one these. The key is the additives and the storage period (as petrol can go off over time and poor storage can contaminate the fuel).

Morrisons in our area has suffered multiple times with contamination/storage issues and their fuel has low levels of additives. The rare times I have used Morrisons, the car has felt sluggish afterwards and that is something others have said as well.

One of my ex-jobs had an office next to a refinery.

The supermarket tankers and branded ones refilled with no particular order. I can see them changing additives feedstock in that time but giving one bad or good fuel - I doubt it.
  • ValiantSon

As I suggested, that sounds like a local problem.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Smevchenko wrote: »
    I have used a card multiple times at pay at pump stations when my balance has been below £99. Are you saying, in future, this may not be allowed if they scrap the £1 authorisation?

That would be annoying as a local station to me is an ASDA which is pay at pump only.

There is no if, both Visa and Mastercard have already mandated the change. The new rules are that they are supposed to authorise the maximum they will allow to be dispensed, if you haven’t got that in the account you will be declined.
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport