Becoming debt free and saving for the future.

Options

Comments

• savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Enjoy your holiday. Hope your scrapes heal quickly.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • DebtFreeMonkey
    Options
    Thanks for the well wishes. Serves me right for being an idiot! Haha.

Spent quite a bit today...well, around £25/30 which I did budget for. Well, I actually budgeted more but I'm still not happy with how much I spent, honestly. Guess that's a good thing because before, I'd spend way more and not care a bit.

Had a lovely picnic style lunch with two of my closest friends. I ate waaayyyy too much but it was lovely to be around them.

I think I need to get comfortable finding a balance between spending and not spending but at least I know I'm definitely not being so frivolous and wasteful as before.
  • DebtFreeMonkey
    Options
    And I'm back! Two weeks away was a nice break but it's good to be home and back to focusing on my goals.

I managed to save £280 from my spending money in total but had to spend a bit of that on new trainers (literally worn mine out) and a few others necessities bringing the total saved back £220. Still not bad at all :)

Very worn out since we arrived home at 4:30am but I'll be updating and catching up with diaries in the coming days whilst also preparing for the MA I'm doing to begin. Gosh, I will be so busy!! Too busy to spend ;)
  • TravelGirl84
    Options
    Hi Alicia!

Welcome back! Hope you had a nice relaxing break.

Well done on saving that much. Even with the trainers it's a great amount not to have spent!
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,924 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    too busy to spend is a good place for a while but not for ever

glad you had a good break and well done on keeping some back - not sure I ever managed that
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • clearmydebts
    Options
    Welcome home! That's an amazing amount to bring home. Well done :)
    Total (Aug 19):€58,567 Now:€26,947
    DFD:Nov 22/June 22
    Mortgage: €199,712
    MFD: March 2042/July 2034
  • FootyFanDan
    Options
    Hey,

Glad you had a nice time away, sometimes its just nice to get away and relax. Well done on bringing funds back too :)
  • DebtFreeMonkey
    Options
    So, I spent way too much today! But on the plus side £12.60 of that was travelling to Cambridge to complete my enrolment at Anglia Ruskin, thus releasing my SF in the next 3-5 days...happy days!

But yes, spent way too much money...got some snacks for my empty sack cupboard. They were reduced or on offer but still expensive. I'll be allocating the little treats I got today throughout the coming months as rewards for the MA so that's not so bad, I guess.

I also went for tea out with a friend. I ate LOTS of food at a rather posh place for just under £11. Had a vegan lamb gyro. The mock meat, sauce and flatbread were delicious but it came with chips inside which wasn't advertised or to my tastes. I also had hummus with more flatbread and a few pieces of raw veg. Sadly, they complete under seasoned the hummus! Like, I'm convinced they forgot the salt...Then I had a smoothie which ended up being free so I can't complain. I can only berate myself for eating so much food!

Having said that, on Saturday night until around 4am Sunday morning, I was very, very sick. I think I had food poisoning or something but yes...everything I ate Saturday made a nasty reappearance. Vomiting is the worst!

I fully made up for the calorie deficit today. Surprisingly, I weighed myself once I woke up on Saturday and I put almost 0 weight on. I did walk and sweat a lot, though...And I must stop over and under eating and just still to a regular amount. Might have to track my food intake...

Got a few food shopping bits to get this week but I have money for it. Luckily enough, the money I frittered away today can come from the money I brought back from holiday and already budgeted away. Not the best but what's done is done and I'm still well within my budget for the month which mediates the damage to next months pay. Of course, being sick Sunday morning meant I had to call in sick to my shift which means I lose a days pay plus I had to take some of my holiday time off as unpaid so that I had a couple of days left to see me until March next year when it resets...It was a 5 week pay month for us, though, so it's not so bad. I'll be getting 4 weeks pay which is plenty.

Continuing on with my rambling...I'm looking forward to getting SF paid into my account. I'm planning to clear my CC debt and then 'repay' that amount into my SF money, reducing the interest to nothing on that debt. Then I can focus on getting under 10k. I think I can do that by January with a bit of persistence and discipline.

Anyways, time to try read some more of these books for uni. Hope you've all had a good Monday and this week is a good one for you.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Congratulations on the enrolment! And yes, with "persistence and discipline" you will absolutely smash this. It won't happen over night but that's why we're here to cheer you on.
  • Doing_it_my_way
    Options
    Glad you had a lovely holiday, good luck with the masters :)
    Weight loss 6lb/16lb 10lb to go
    I spend an insane amount of time wondering if I am doing it right, sometimes I remind myself that I am doing my best....and that is enough
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure