Most reliable and cheap used automatic car?

Options
13»

Comments

• Cap2019
    Options
    Suzuki swift no question. Torque convertor gearbox with bulletproof reliability. CVT gearboxes are the work of the devil and modern dual clutch/ DSG autos can be problematic beyond 50-60k miles and VERY expensive to repair.
  • avantra
    avantra Posts: 1,327 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Yaris Mk2 should fit your requirements.
    It will happily contain a big dog (I have a Yaris plus a large Anatolian Sheppard), in the MK2 you can move the rear seats forward creating over 670 litres boot space without folding the seats (Toyota removed this feature in the Mk3).

The 99bhp petrol 1.33 can do 50mpg all day long, turn on a sixpence and if you can live with a very smooth manual 6 gears transmissions you should be quids in (these can be obtained at 60k for less than £3000). Reliability is the stuff of legends as well.:T
    Five exclamation marks the sure sign of an insane mind!!!!!

Terry Pratchett.
  • ccbrowning
    Options
    Hi all - thanks for all of the info. :) I did end up with a used Prius, which might cost a little more but is still less than I was paying for the month-to-month hire car.

There are quite a few cheap options, as you've all mentioned. We were a bit limited due to location. I do love how much room we have in the Prius, and the CVT gearbox seems fine to us in town and on motor ways. Nothing beats an EV (which we've been using for 5 years) in the automatic department...but hey it is ok.
  • dinods
    Options
    Check out the reliability index website, it shows the best and worst cars.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure