Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 18th Mar 08, 11:39 AM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    TV Licence article Discussion
    • 18th Mar 08, 11:39 AM
    TV Licence article Discussion 18th Mar 08 at 11:39 AM

This thread is specifically to discuss the the

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
    Last edited by MSE Researcher; 14-06-2010 at 4:08 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 174
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 8th Oct 19, 9:50 PM
    • 2,737 Posts
    • 4,121 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    I'm with 1005922 on this. Allocate as little effort as possible to the situation.
    My letters to the occupier go straight into use as kindling and the most effort in the whole affair comes in posting on here! Mind you, in ~35 years of home ownership I've never had a colour tv, so my situation is different to many.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 8th Oct 19, 9:53 PM
    • 13,647 Posts
    • 16,722 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    One of the hardest things when discussing/explaining TV Licensing matters is to correctly position the true risks of dealing with them.

In the case of these emails, they are (like a lot of TVL activities) something of a fishing expedition. They are also based on the flimsiest of evidence - a matching email address between a non-statutory No-Licence-Needed entry and a BBC iPlayer account. That can never be evidence of an offence, and it probably isn't even worth their while prioritising a "visit".

Search Warrants would be a non-starter: the evidence is arguably insufficient, and there are only around 100 such warrants per year for the whole of England & Wales. Their priority for those few Warrants is likely to be people that are openly defiant regarding Licence evasion (face to face with a TVL staff member).

The risks from dealing with TVL increase as you get further in to their process. Dealing with the BBC and TVL HQ on administrative matters is largely risk-free. Dealing with them at your door or in your home is more risky, because they are incentivised to assert that a Licence is needed, and this process has led to false prosecutions in the past. There are also historic cases of fraud and perjury involving their employees. Their interview process is legally dubious in terms of PACE compliance, and also there are Human Rights issues.

However, I think the advice to ignore the email and delete the BBC account is optimal. There is no need to go overboard with other measures and it may even make matters worse. I'd be mindful that the risk of a TVL "visit" may increase following the email, and be prepared to ignore them or say "I decline to be interviewed in accordance with my rights under PACE". I would strongly recommend not speaking to them at the door/in your home, even if they appear to want just casual conversation.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 08-10-2019 at 10:38 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the The Money Savers Arms, Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there.

Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • cw18
    • By cw18 8th Oct 19, 10:34 PM
    • 8,084 Posts
    • 86,091 Thanks
    cw18
    If you were on a laptop at your girlfriends house running on battery you would not need a licence
    Originally posted by mbmonty
    Wrong. It's the poster who doesn't have a licence, so viewing at partners house is done on partners licence and using a laptop on battery makes absolutely no difference to the scenario.
    Cheryl
    • mbmonty
    • By mbmonty 9th Oct 19, 11:55 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    mbmonty
    It's an email it's nothing, nothing like going to an extreme. They would have to come out and actually catch someone watching it at an unlicensed property.

As I said deleted email, job done, no come back from it
    Originally posted by 1005922
    It is not going to an extreme, it is about shutting any potential risks.

You are wrong, the post was not about visiting property, it was about use of iPlayer after they had told TVL that they do not need a licence.

Even though it is not enough evidence in itself (at this time) it puts him on a list. We have seen how TVL target people who forbid them from entering garden etc.

We know they make up lies about one of their Goons having witnessed live TV and used that as a basis for a warrant.

Sticking your head in the sand as you propose is just stupidity. He had good reason to dismiss the so called evidence and should do so, it is what an innocent person does.
    • cw18
    • By cw18 20th Oct 19, 7:59 PM
    • 8,084 Posts
    • 86,091 Thanks
    cw18
    I'm quite used to delivering envelopes with a small window stating 'an enquiry has been started' or 'will you be in on' etc.

This week turned up one I've not seen before......

Not sure if it's only for business (this was addressed to a pub that's closed down).

White envelope, and in the narrow window it said "You risk criminal prosecution and a fine."
    Last edited by cw18; 20-10-2019 at 10:17 PM.
    Cheryl
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 20th Oct 19, 10:03 PM
    • 13,647 Posts
    • 16,722 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    White envelope, and in the narrow window it said "You risk criminal prosecution and a fine."
    Originally posted by cw18
    Not seen one of those.

It's a bit full-on even for TV Licensing, so maybe you're right and it won't be sent to private individuals in their own homes.
    I'm a Board Guide on the The Money Savers Arms, Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there.

Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 20th Oct 19, 11:56 PM
    • 8,740 Posts
    • 5,481 Thanks
    buglawton
    I'm with 1005922 on this. Allocate as little effort as possible to the situation.
    My letters to the occupier go straight into use as kindling and the most effort in the whole affair comes in posting on here! Mind you, in ~35 years of home ownership I've never had a colour tv, so my situation is different to many.
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    According to the BBC, you typed that post on one !
    • oldernonethewiser
    • By oldernonethewiser 23rd Oct 19, 3:51 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 486 Thanks
    oldernonethewiser
    And the next one....
    Another letter today

Big red letters in their own window in the envelope (so it MUST be important)

Local investigation active in XXXXXX

Enforcement visit authorised by J Hales - it has his or her very signature on it, so by gosh this must be serious now.

Unless it is a relative this "signature" will have been that of John Hales who apparently is an "Enforcement Officer"

I wonder if that means he has been demoted as over twelve years ago he was "Head of TV Licensing Division"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,485Posts Today

8,393Users online

Martin's Twitter