Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gastines3
    • By Gastines3 17th Dec 18, 3:56 PM
    • 138Posts
    • 72Thanks
    Gastines3
    How much in the ????
    • 17th Dec 18, 3:56 PM
    How much in the ???? 17th Dec 18 at 3:56 PM
    Amazed to hear the miniscule amount that is actually given from Charitable use from each donated. Latest figures reveal that Age.uk give 5p most others averaging 19p. Seems the Charity aspect might need looking into. We seem to donating to keep names and management in work.
Page 1
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 17th Dec 18, 5:06 PM
    • 40,148 Posts
    • 37,554 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 17th Dec 18, 5:06 PM
    • 17th Dec 18, 5:06 PM
    It is not quite that simple: Age UK also do a lot of information work, for example, and I don't know if that would be regarded as 'charitable'.

By all means interrogate the accounts of any charities you wish to support, but do bear in mind that there is a cost to raising money (and for less popular causes there are few alternatives to paying for fundraising), and there is a cost to keeping charities well run.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
    • SeanTowers
    • By SeanTowers 17th Dec 18, 9:02 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    SeanTowers
    • 17th Dec 18, 9:02 PM
    • 17th Dec 18, 9:02 PM
    Where did you find the figures that suggest 5p, I would be interested to read it? From what I can see on the Charity Commision accounts roughly 50% goes on charitable activities, still not very good but way better than 5%.

Also, "information work" is included in charitable activities. The 70million they spend each year that is not charitable is mainly the cost of running their shops. Running a charity shop is not a charitable activity it is trading to raise funds.
    Last edited by SeanTowers; 17-12-2018 at 9:06 PM.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 17th Dec 18, 9:27 PM
    • 8,590 Posts
    • 18,598 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 17th Dec 18, 9:27 PM
    • 17th Dec 18, 9:27 PM
    If you want to donate to charity, research first. I don't donate to charities that have highly paid CEOs, although I have no objection to averagely paid staff (and trained staff can be invaluable to a charity's work).

I prefer smaller, local charities personally, as I have had involvement with them.

Also, it's worth bearing in mind that some charities would love you to volunteer a regular few hours a month.
    • Gastines3
    • By Gastines3 18th Dec 18, 9:31 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    Gastines3
    • 18th Dec 18, 9:31 AM
    • 18th Dec 18, 9:31 AM
    Didn't guess the figures.They were given out in great detail on the B.B.C. the other morning.Pity they didn't put the programme out at a peak viewing time. The Salvation Army seems to come out top for good works at least expense. The French idea with EMMAUS seems safer.
    • TheMoneySpider
    • By TheMoneySpider 20th Dec 18, 11:21 AM
    • 354 Posts
    • 4,387 Thanks
    TheMoneySpider
    • 20th Dec 18, 11:21 AM
    • 20th Dec 18, 11:21 AM
    This is quite useful but not complete

http://charitychecker.net/

I note that 65% of donations going to the work is considered "Poor" though.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 20th Dec 18, 12:12 PM
    • 40,148 Posts
    • 37,554 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 20th Dec 18, 12:12 PM
    • 20th Dec 18, 12:12 PM
    What is interesting is that the charitychecker site seems to suggest 47p in the going to charitable work, not the 5p suggested in the original post (which I was unconvinced by).
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
    • Gastines3
    • By Gastines3 21st Dec 18, 4:38 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    Gastines3
    • 21st Dec 18, 4:38 PM
    • 21st Dec 18, 4:38 PM
    The figures were given out on a morning show on the B.B.C. so I presume they did their homework. Not usually a daytime T.V. viewer but I was reading the news on Text. I will say that I have thought for some time that the whole 'Charity' issue needs a serious review.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 24th Dec 18, 2:23 AM
    • 16,900 Posts
    • 23,892 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 24th Dec 18, 2:23 AM
    • 24th Dec 18, 2:23 AM
    Amazed to hear the miniscule amount that is actually given from Charitable use from each donated. Latest figures reveal that Age.uk give 5p most others averaging 19p. Seems the Charity aspect might need looking into. We seem to donating to keep names and management in work.
    Originally posted by Gastines3
    The Charity Commission numbers for financial year ending 31 March 2017 are here
    http://beta.charitycommission.gov.uk/charity-details/?subid=0&regid=1128267

Income from Donations and legacies 53.16m
    Expenditure on Charitable activities 73.19m

So, even at the simplest level 100p in every pound given to AgeUK is spent on charitable activities. (Note, AgeUK gets a lot of income from its trading activities.)

What puzzles me is how people can believe complete and utter b..., err, nonsense, when five minutes on Google gets you too something close to the truth.

You can also read what their accounts say about what the national charity spend their money on
    https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/annual-reports-and-reviews/report_of_trustees_and_annual_accounts_2016_2017.p df

I suspect that the twonk (not the OP) who claimed that "figures reveal that Age.uk give 5p", had some idiotic idea that AgeUK solely exists to 'give' money to OAPs, when it spends most of its money on doing other things; Person-Centred Integrated Care, providing benefits advice, etc and so forth.
    • SeanTowers
    • By SeanTowers 24th Dec 18, 8:37 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    SeanTowers
    The Charity Commission numbers for financial year ending 31 March 2017 are here

So, even at the simplest level 100p in every pound given to AgeUK is spent on charitable activities. (Note, AgeUK gets a lot of income from its trading activities.)

What puzzles me is how people can believe complete and utter b..., err, nonsense, when five minutes on Google gets you too something close to the truth.

You can also read what their accounts say about what the national charity spend their money on

I suspect that the twonk (not the OP) who claimed that "figures reveal that Age.uk give 5p", had some idiotic idea that AgeUK solely exists to 'give' money to OAPs, when it spends most of its money on doing other things; Person-Centred Integrated Care, providing benefits advice, etc and so forth.
    Originally posted by antrobus
    That's not correct either, that is a beta site that isn't working correctly yet, you can see the discrepancy if you look at the actual figures, the 100% is clearly wrong/misleading based on the data above it. I think it's showing expenditure of their net income, so the income left to spend after they have spent on non-charitable activities?

You quoted;
    But you omitted;
    Income from Other trading activities 93.83m (and a few smaller incomes)

149.7 million income, 73.19m expenditure on charitable activities.
    They spend 5.91m on fundraising and 70.66m "other" which is predominantly the cost of running the shops and 782k governance.

So in rough numbers, Age UK spend approximately 50% on charitable activities which you can see on the non-beta Charity Commission website (can't post the link because I'm new but Google Charity Commission and go to the full site not the beta.

I think this whole thread illustrates that it's way to difficult for people to understand how charities are spending money. Charities should be obligated to very clearly show their charitable spending percentage on their website and marketing material. There also needs to be some guidance/control on what percentage you have to spend on charitable activities.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 24th Dec 18, 10:46 AM
    • 40,148 Posts
    • 37,554 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    It's a hard thing to quantify in terms of straight percentages though: 'league tables' for schools tell you what % of pupils got what grades, and now they do at least offer a 'value added' figure, BUT I'm sure people very often still just look at the final figures.

So one charity may spend 50% of its income on charitable activities, and another may spend 75%. That doesn't tell you which is making best use of its funds, or even which is best run.

Look at Chester Zoo, cuddly or not so cuddly animals in a disaster hits the news, and out come the cheque books. AIDS victims, not such an easy sell: you may need to employ more fundraisers and communications staff to raise each .
    Still knitting!
    • SeanTowers
    • By SeanTowers 24th Dec 18, 11:08 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    SeanTowers
    It's a hard thing to quantify in terms of straight percentages though: 'league tables' for schools tell you what % of pupils got what grades, and now they do at least offer a 'value added' figure, BUT I'm sure people very often still just look at the final figures.

So one charity may spend 50% of its income on charitable activities, and another may spend 75%. That doesn't tell you which is making best use of its funds, or even which is best run.

Look at Chester Zoo, cuddly or not so cuddly animals in a disaster hits the news, and out come the cheque books. AIDS victims, not such an easy sell: you may need to employ more fundraisers and communications staff to raise each .
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    I would have to disagree slightly, your purpose as a charity is to do charitable things and spending 50% on non-charitable things shouldn't be acceptable, no matter how well you manage the other 50%. When the public donate 1 they assume/expect it to be spent on the cause, not 50p on the cause and 50p on raising more money. However I agree that charitable spend alone doesn't tell the whole story, you need to look at staff wages, particularly management and where all the money goes ideally. The main point being that charities need to be more transparent so that the public can make a well-informed decision.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 24th Dec 18, 6:57 PM
    • 40,148 Posts
    • 37,554 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    I would have to disagree slightly, your purpose as a charity is to do charitable things and spending 50% on non-charitable things shouldn't be acceptable, no matter how well you manage the other 50%. When the public donate 1 they assume/expect it to be spent on the cause, not 50p on the cause and 50p on raising more money.
    Originally posted by SeanTowers
    True enough, however that 50p wouldn't be exclusively spent on raising money, and I'm really just giving broad examples.

However I agree that charitable spend alone doesn't tell the whole story, you need to look at staff wages, particularly management and where all the money goes ideally. The main point being that charities need to be more transparent so that the public can make a well-informed decision.
    I am not sure charities could ever be sufficiently transparent to enable the majority of the public to make a well-informed decision ... It's like the Ofsted reports I referred to earlier, you can do the whole 'value added' thing, but what are most parents going to look at? How many pupils got Grade C or above in 5 GCSEs including Maths and English. (And I know that's out of date, mercifully mine left the system before this latest nonsense ... )

And when you come up against the whole 'charities shouldn't have any paid staff it should all be done by volunteers' mentality, you just want to weep, don't you?

I will declare an interest, I do work for a small charity, and if I do my job right then the staff who work with our clients will have a much easier time, because they won't have to fix the photocopier, or (today's delight) worry about whether or not we're insured, or wonder whether they'll be paid on time.

I've been fortunate to have good managers who recognise that replacing our computers BEFORE they break or grind to a complete halt will improve productivity and staff morale.

But I know that in some charities spend on 'admin' and 'staff resources' would be regarded as a necessary evil to be kept as low as possible - regardless of improved productivity.
    Still knitting!
    • SeanTowers
    • By SeanTowers 24th Dec 18, 7:57 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    SeanTowers
    True enough, however that 50p wouldn't be exclusively spent on raising money, and I'm really just giving broad examples.

I am not sure charities could ever be sufficiently transparent to enable the majority of the public to make a well-informed decision ... It's like the Ofsted reports I referred to earlier, you can do the whole 'value added' thing, but what are most parents going to look at? How many pupils got Grade C or above in 5 GCSEs including Maths and English. (And I know that's out of date, mercifully mine left the system before this latest nonsense ... )

And when you come up against the whole 'charities shouldn't have any paid staff it should all be done by volunteers' mentality, you just want to weep, don't you?

I will declare an interest, I do work for a small charity, and if I do my job right then the staff who work with our clients will have a much easier time, because they won't have to fix the photocopier, or (today's delight) worry about whether or not we're insured, or wonder whether they'll be paid on time.

I've been fortunate to have good managers who recognise that replacing our computers BEFORE they break or grind to a complete halt will improve productivity and staff morale.

But I know that in some charities spend on 'admin' and 'staff resources' would be regarded as a necessary evil to be kept as low as possible - regardless of improved productivity.
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    I'll also declare my interest, I'm a trustee and treasurer of a small local charity.

50p in the pound is spent exlusively on raising more money in this instance. Staff wages, fixing the photocopier, insurances, admin and new computers all fall under charitable activities if they are being used for charitable purposes. I'm not objecting to the overheads of running a large charity, I'm objecting to excessive fundraising spend. Fundraising takes money out of the charity sector into profit making companies and often the result is just convincing someone to donate to charity A rather than charity B. As an examle, we work in the homeless sector and there are 2 homeless charities in our town. If we ran a fundraising campaign we would increase our income but some of that would be diverted from the other homeless charity and some of that would be diverted from charities with a different cause. It's true that some of it might be from people who were not going to donate to any charity otherwise but there is no accurate data on the split.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 26th Dec 18, 11:39 AM
    • 40,148 Posts
    • 37,554 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    I'll also declare my interest, I'm a trustee and treasurer of a small local charity.

50p in the pound is spent exlusively on raising more money in this instance. Staff wages, fixing the photocopier, insurances, admin and new computers all fall under charitable activities if they are being used for charitable purposes. I'm not objecting to the overheads of running a large charity, I'm objecting to excessive fundraising spend. Fundraising takes money out of the charity sector into profit making companies and often the result is just convincing someone to donate to charity A rather than charity B. As an examle, we work in the homeless sector and there are 2 homeless charities in our town. If we ran a fundraising campaign we would increase our income but some of that would be diverted from the other homeless charity and some of that would be diverted from charities with a different cause. It's true that some of it might be from people who were not going to donate to any charity otherwise but there is no accurate data on the split.
    I don't know if this would work in a smaller place than ours (large city with multiple charities and 'random' groups of various sizes) but there is an annual sleepout organised which any group can take part in - it's the culmination of a week of homelessness awareness activities. It's great to get them working together rather than in competition.
    Still knitting!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,570Posts Today

8,190Users online

Martin's Twitter