Grants available for homes improvements & energy efficiency

Options

Comments

• harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    It would be very useful if when posting articles such as the "Grants available...", MSE indicated as to whether the article refers to UK wide, England only, not Scotland etc. in the main text. No need for ages spent on reading threads from end to end only to find you are ineligible then.:(
  • murphydog999
    murphydog999 Posts: 1,598 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why is it that these grants are so discriminatory? We are in the process of buying a victorian stone built house which needs insulation upgrades, new boiler and central heating system, internal wall insulation etc etc. Because we work, have no children, or elderly people living with us, it is deemed that we have loads of money to spare so we qualify for absolutely nothing, not a penny.
  • BaileyB
    BaileyB Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Options
    My friend got called yesterday about grants for UPVC windows that the goverment are paying for. The main reason the sales guy said was the seal was outside so anyone could take this off and pop the window out and break in.

Now this is the first time i have heard this and a quick search brings back nothing on this.

Anyone heard anything on this, the price he was quoted for 4 large windows does seem high with this 'grant' taken off. I suspect its sales talk, but thought i would check
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    edited 15 June 2010 at 11:26AM
    Options
    99% certain its just a sales ploy.
    another scam by the DG companies. not well known for their ethics.

ps
    if 4 windows cost a lot more than about 1600 quid then shop around.
    forget any grant or scrappage scheme! its the final price that matters.
    Get some gorm.
  • Lube
    Lube Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    Options
    Its a scam heard this before it a way of getting there foot in your door

Another one which got was they came around to say they taking photos of your house for the council to see heat lose

Avoid and tell them to shove there scheme where the sun dont shine
    BaileyB wrote: »
    My friend got called yesterday about grants for UPVC windows that the goverment are paying for. The main reason the sales guy said was the seal was outside so anyone could take this off and pop the window out and break in.

Now this is the first time i have heard this and a quick search brings back nothing on this.

Anyone heard anything on this, the price he was quoted for 4 large windows does seem high with this 'grant' taken off. I suspect its sales talk, but thought i would check
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    BaileyB wrote: »

Leaving aside the obvious sales pitch and over inflated price(s); with very old Upvc windows poorly installed, the glazing bars being on the outside was a security issue and an easy way in for burglars.

A quick visual check of your windows will tell if you are vulnerable or not.

As the possibility of windows with this fault still being around is remote, government grants to deal with the problem are not going to happen - just salespeoples b***s*** as usual.
  • BaileyB
    BaileyB Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Options
    Great, thanks everyone. I was there when the sales person called and i had a little look at the windows and seen the bars are all on the outside. So maybe it was a way to get him to talk. (did not let him in)

I thought it was a scam (as such) but had not heard of this so called grant before.
  • SEVENOFNINE_2
    SEVENOFNINE_2 Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 23 June 2010 at 9:53AM
    Options
    I live in SW London and have been offered several options from my local council (Lambeth) for cavity and loft insulation. The first is free and the rest between £199-524 (BG). Obviously the free offer is tempting but would I better off with one of the rest; would paying for the work mean better delivery (in time and quality)? The mid-price options are from energy companies, eg Scot Power, EdF. How do they compare with say Eaga, Snug as a Bug? Would appreciate advice/recommendations.
  • niamhtra66
    niamhtra66 Posts: 559 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just posted this in the disability forum but thought it maybe helpful to pop it in here aswell

Just to let you know you can now apply for a warm front grant if you have a child under 16 and you claim dla for them, it used to be that under 16 were not qualified.
    I had a surveyor today as i applied due to now receiving council tax rebate, but he said the dla form was all he needed, i explained to him that the dla was for a child under 16 and he told me they'd changed it and you can now claim, so the only details he took were from the dla letter.
    I showed him the website and it still shows under 16's are excluded but he showed me his entitlement list and there was no exclusions for under 16's on it.. great news for a lot of people who can now claim.
    I'm getting a new boiler water tank jacket and cavity wall insulation, our boiler is on it's last legs and we've been lucky to get this long with it but lack of funds meant it would only ever have been replaced when it died a death.
    Hope this helps someone.
  • geniusm5
    Options
    I have recently moved into a housing association property and took my sky TV with me when i moved. A sky engineer came to install a new sky plus hd box but told me he could not install a dish because a communal dish was present. However the communal dish is in a bad state of disrepair and not working ( i receive no satellite signal I have contacted the housing association for permission to install my own dish and was told NO! They said they would repair the communal one. 4 weeks later still no signal and still no repair. Everytime I call I just get fobbed of with some excuse and told they are very sorry. PLEASE can anyone help me. I just wanna watch tv.I am slowly going stir crazy, even the standard 5 channels come and go when they please. HELP!!!!!!!:mad:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback