Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    ftbworried
    Please ensure your electrics are up to date!!!!!!!!!
    • 31st Jan 07, 3:48 PM
    Please ensure your electrics are up to date!!!!!!!!! 31st Jan 07 at 3:48 PM
    Official Insert from MSE Martin

This post, from a few weeks ago, highlights the importance of keeping your electrics up to date at home. I thought that ftbworried's experience was worth sharing with as many people as possible; it's easy to let electrical repairs slip, but the consequences can be very costly.

The NICEIC recommends that household electrics are inspected every 5-10 years, yet a survey revealed that many houses haven't been looked at in 30. If your house hasn't been checked you should get an inspector in to take a look.

Electrical safety law dictates that all modern electrical work be inspected by a registered electrician. If you don't get a certificate for the inspection, you'll be breaking the law, as well as living in a potentially unsafe home.

Back to the original post:

We bought our house back in April last year and noticed that we didnt have an RCD box (a box that trips your electric should there be a fault in the circuit etc). We dilly-dallied about, putting off installing one- thinking that it wasn't really worth the cost etc. My Dad has pestered us and pestered us to get one fitted since April 06 and eventually 2 weeks ago we had one fitted.

Today I went to plug our washing machine in and unbeknown to me, the plug had been damaged in the kitchen move, and the casing along had been damaged and a damaged wire was exposed.

Not seeing this (and with my hand touching the wire!!) I plugged it into a live socket . I am usually quite a careful person but I was rushing to get some washing on before i went out. I heard a loud 'crack' and I got a strong but short shock (which left a burn on my hand) and the RCD box tripped. If we hadn't had the RCD box fitted then I would have been a gonner, there and then at 23 years old.

I cannot stress how important it is to make sure (regardless of cost) that your house is up to date with the nessecary safety protections. Don't let costs put you of like it did initially with us...it COULD save your life.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 07-07-2008 at 2:57 PM.
Page 18
    • Mary_Hartnell
    • By Mary_Hartnell 10th Jun 13, 4:15 PM
    • 857 Posts
    • 567 Thanks
    Mary_Hartnell
    Thanks for your concern, nothing has actually been done yet.

Outside the back door of my 1950s built home, there is a a garage to the left and an area of "larder" sized cupboard/rooms intended for storage, to the right. Originally the were intended for storing food stuff, logs, coal and gardening stuff. As their walls are not structural, my idea is to make more room in the kitchen by relegating the washer dryer welly boots and all that other stuff that clutters up the kitchen, into this area of my new utility room.
    If the washer dryer and sink were placed along the wall backing onto the kitchen they would be only a few feet from their present position. To my way of thinking the existing ring main could simply incorporate 2 or 3 extra sockets in the new utility area. Sort of back to back with existing sockets in the kitchen.

However, there has been some tooth sucking suggesting that I would need a new circuit from its own mini consumer unit plus use of RCD sockets because the house uses its own earth rod; and new work should be done to the 17th (?) edition of the regulations. [Perhaps it is time to have the whole house brought up to the latest standards.]

Having an ultra safe utility room and and 1970/80 "dangerous" kitchen, seems a bit "Alice in Wonderland".
    Last edited by Mary_Hartnell; 10-06-2013 at 4:19 PM.
  • Rockingit
    Mary - sent you a PM.
    • Mary_Hartnell
    • By Mary_Hartnell 13th Jun 13, 10:36 AM
    • 857 Posts
    • 567 Thanks
    Mary_Hartnell
    Hi Rockingit,
    Thanks for the PM.
    How should I explain where I live, let us say less than 60 minutes from Dover on a good day.
    A neighbour has suggested a sensible electrician - it is a bit of a jungle, like getting a car through the MOT.
    If some of the family South West of Winchester, have a project in mind I will suggest they get in touch.

I know the modern regulations have some sense to them - for example I could stand up in my bath and change the light bulb
    Come to think of it, I could also hang onto the stainless steel sink and open the door into a still rotating salty dripping dishwasher. The dishwasher, unlike the sink is connected to the rest of the globe by plastic water pipes and a moulded on plug of unknown earth continuity (But it is German).

Anyway getting back to a utility room with part of a ring-main, earthed to a copper spike hammered into the ground:

I can see that being able to hang onto the taps and fiddle with the switch to a plugged in dryer, could have its dangers. Perhaps the equipment should be wired in via a neon bi pole switch, or the white goods and their sockets placed well away from the metal pipe work. That would be common sense not legislation.

I will take my chances of electrocuting a visitor in the bathroom.

Might be an idea to fit one of these in the kitchen ?
  • Rockingit
    Mary - whilst I can be as flippant as the next man, my PM was simply sound electrical advice and the offer that I might have known someone in your area to have looked it over for you for probably next to nothing. As it happens, I do, as well.

If you really want to understand bonding of extraneous conductive parts (aka equipotential bonding) then I can give you some links to Amazon where you can buy some very expensive books to read up on the subject (the one's that we are obliged to buy every time they change, then people moan when we have to charge for what we do...).

Until then, I suggest you find a passing horse and lead it to some water for it to drink.
  • Rockingit
    PLEASE don't be complacent!

I attended an emergency call-out yesterday to a property where about a year ago an adult had been seriously shocked (technically, the word electrocution only applies if you end up dead - but you get the idea) whilst USING the shower. There is no more dangerous a place in your house to come into contact with electricity than when you are both naked and wet and the guy was 'lucky' to have survived. A British Gas homecare electrician had attended and condemned the place (and rightly so, it's a death trap) - I saw the report and I saw the customers signature at the bottom. So, nearly a year on, I'm getting a call because there's sparks coming out of a cooker point..... Thankfully, I think the owner has finally seen sense and is going to have the place rewired, but it just beggars belief that after one incident where someone is nearly killed people still don't get it - when an electrician gives you good advice it's for a damn good reason!!!!
  • mehera
    I have come across some right nightmare is my time as a plumber

- One guy told me that due to a leak on his metal bath his hair actually stood on end one time when he was using it! It looks like the leak was going into the lighting circuit and making the bath live! This is why you have equipotential bonding!!!!!

- An electrician I worked with informed me that the meter in the house we were working in had dodgy work done on it essentially adding a whole extra 'extension' on it without upgrading. He told me that they had a 60 amp fuse on the unit and that they were probably running 150amp plus through it regularly!!! No RCD or anything else. Needless to say he refused to work on the system . . . . .

I have come across so many dangerous electrics in peoples houses as a part of my work I cannot tell you!

The first thing I do is get a proper electrician down to make it safe.

There are a few things of real importance:

- Get a new consumer unit (with an RCD!)

- Get the bonding checked/done.

- Get all the circits checked . . .
    I was going to put the name of my plumbing business here so you know what I do should I give out any advice plumbing wise - however apparently I cant do that - go figure!!!!!
    New signature - I am a Plumber (I am just not allowed to tell you!)
    • ey143
    • By ey143 12th Oct 13, 8:23 AM
    • 428 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    ey143
    I'm purchasing a house which will need complete rewriting. I would like to get one of the most advanced consumer boxes on the market.

If the price of the consumer box is not an issue (or let's say more than the average price), would top of the range box would any electrician here recommend?

If it exists, something which has smartphone interactivity / communication to advise which RCD has blown and when / event logging and is there such a thing as touch panel to reactivate a switch rather than a hard switch? Anything that has some new features whilst meeting the safety standards, I would be grateful to know.

Also where is the ideal place to relocate a consumer box / does it always have to be where the mains comes in?

Anyone also know the cost of moving a meter typically?
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
    • Badsaver
    • By Badsaver 1st Nov 13, 10:08 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Badsaver
    Hi,

Generally, how much does it cost to rewire a house? The OP has said about the getting it done regardless of the cost, however, if you physically haven't got the money what can you do?
    I think I have a serious electrical problem in my house, but I can't afford to fix it. I know life is more valuable, but I physically don't have the money and can't get a loan.
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 6th Nov 13, 1:13 PM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    Hi,

Generally, how much does it cost to rewire a house? The OP has said about the getting it done regardless of the cost, however, if you physically haven't got the money what can you do?
    I think I have a serious electrical problem in my house, but I can't afford to fix it. I know life is more valuable, but I physically don't have the money and can't get a loan.
    Originally posted by Badsaver
    I agree, the way things are these days every penny is gone before you can even think of a major electrical job that will cost between 3,000 and 4,000.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
    • mark_steps
    • By mark_steps 12th Nov 13, 11:44 AM
    • 838 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    mark_steps
    Crackling electrical box
    Ok so first of all im the top flat, so i thought maybe the wind through the attic was the cause, but then i only hear this sound in the morning, so that cant be so. I have also got the step ladders out next to the box and listened, pretty sure its coming from there.

Worrying! So im now in the process of getting or trying to get an electrician out to look at it. Worried tho in the meantime, im out at work..
  • harryhound
    Is anything, especially the "tails". coming out of you "box" getting hot?

If you can find a picture of your "box" on Goolgle and link to it, then people might be able to make more specific observations.
  • FR_262
    Another word of warning. The light switch under our stairs is cracked. My son switched on the light and touched a wire and got a shock and a small burn. Could have been so much worse!
    • slopemaster
    • By slopemaster 28th Jan 14, 4:31 PM
    • 1,488 Posts
    • 757 Thanks
    slopemaster
    Yes but...
    I had a report from an electrician saying the whole system was basically outdated and unsafe and was 40+ years old.

I got another sparks in who said the system is 15 years old and needs some modification. But the issues classified by the 1st sparks as C1 - ie immediately dangerous - were classified by the other one as C3 - ie, could do with upgrading.

How can that be?
  • dingledong
    what were the things that were coded c3 or c1
    • slopemaster
    • By slopemaster 28th Jan 14, 11:19 PM
    • 1,488 Posts
    • 757 Thanks
    slopemaster
    Wrong size cable feeding cooker outlet
    Cooker outlet with no (illegible) protection
    Electrical connection in non waterproof enclosure in shower room etc
    100MA RCD should be 30MA

List of 7 items - these appear to be the most serious.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,909Posts Today

7,852Users online

Martin's Twitter