Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 3
  • jimbob2
    me too samsung rs21dcns the fan is making more noise then a helicopter.i have contacted currys they sau as my 2 year warranty has ended its upto me to pay for the engineer.this problem is just getting worse as time goes on..what can we do about it...there seems to be quite a few unhappy people.
  • jimbob2
    i have just been onto samsung.was talking to a nice lady,who advised me to contact samsungs head office.the addres is on the samsung website i was told..
    so i asked her to tell me the addres to which she replied,i cant tell you that...WHATS THAT ALL ABOUT..so i said i havent got the internet,so she says well maybe goto an internet cafe,so i told her what if i was blind and could not read the internet.she said..erm i dunno.so i asked for a supervisor.
    this is what i told her.
    this is a common fault.allthough i have had the item longer then the 2 year warranty this does not mean the item can just break down,it is expected to last much longer and so it should,i then told her the exact fault wrong with it and also the part that samsung have modified so therefore knowing allready about the fault and that they where just not intrested in the buyer.i also said i had searched the internet and found at least 5 diffrent forums where people where copmlaining about this fridge freezer and i was not going to pay for it myself...
    ok ,she says we will send you the part free and the name of an engineer who will charge me to fit it.this i agred to,as when the said engineer arrive s i will also ask him for a report to as why the fridge developed the fault in the first place,this wil lthen be sent to currys who wiull have no other option but to pay for the engineer.

it s all going to take longer then i want it too,but i am damn sure iam not paying for it,when samsung and probably currys know there is a fault..

rant over
  • Biff2
    Had a guy out to our rc21dcns yesterday, problem being fridge not cooling - freezer working fine. Identified fault as frozen up behind fridge area including drain hole. Took a hairdryer to it and solved problem in half an hour.

His advice for the future (if out of warranty) is if fridge temp starts to flash and gain in temperature is switch unit off at wall, leave for 6-12 hours and then switch back on. Freezer food should still be frozen but build up of ice in fridge part should have defrosted. Save on an expensive call out charge.

Also IMPORTANTLY we used to keep the fridge temp at 3 deg C, which is actually pretty cold, he advised 4-6 deg C .

Hope this helps.
  • jimbob2
    ours is at 4 all the time,am not prepared to have to defrost the back of the fridge all the time.do what i did and contact samsung and demand to speak to a supervisor,tell them you know this is a manufacturing fault as they have modified the part on newer models..i want my fridge to work as it is supposed to do..i am sure we will see more and more people filling this thread soon...
  • rockette
    Now I'm wondering....
    I was 90% certain I was going to buy the RS21DCSV. Does anyone know if this is one of the ones affected, or if it has been modified since these problems come to light?
    Or should I just spend the extra £150 and get a whirlpool?? Or is an LG any good??
    Last edited by rockette; 26-12-2006 at 8:08 PM.
  • dirtydonki
    • It is the fan freezing up.
    • Once it happens it will continue to happen ad infinitum.
    • Defrosting will allow you from 2 to about 6 weeks until it happens again.
    • Running the fridge unit at a higher temperature is a "red herring" and will
      not help.
    If still under warranty (2 year warranty and NOT 1 as your kindly C*met Sales person may have misinformed you), get is sorted. C*met or whomever should be pressured to replace the whole unit (back panel +fan) with the new redesigned version.

According to my Samsung handbook mine has a 3 year manufacturers limited warranty, whatever that may mean!.

If out of warranty rather than wait hours for it to defrost you can remove the back panels and carefully remove the bottom section and melt the ice over the sink using a hair dryer and then melt the remain ice in the fridge itself.

Be sure not to break the seals and that all is dry again before reassembly. Unfortunately, this too will only last 2 - 6 weeks before it will freeze up and stop again.

I have done mine 6 times now since the first breakdown last summer and am mad as hell about it but am so grateful to find this site as I now know I may be able to do something about it at last!

Many thanks
  • fkinugly
    Bought my Samsung RS21DCNS with the fault of overheating fridge. As i'm a service Engineer for electrical & gas in the catering trade and most things don't phase me (taking a gamble).
    The original fault was with the circulating fan faulty & not working, replaced with a new one from ebay £18 posted.
    Worked fine for two weeks & now has the evaporator frozen up..
    After taking advice from this & the white goods forum defrosted the fridge & modified the drain below the fan unit (made larger). (testing in progress)
    site for samsung spares
    http://www.4mysamsung.co.uk/cgi-bin/search.pl?query=samsung%20RS21DCNS&brand=samsung&m odel=RS21DCNS&path=111066&model_pre=RS21DCNS
  • Mo1
    Same problems with RS20 model
    My RS20 model broke down on new years eve (freezer +4c and fridge +18c)and comet eventually sent out and engineer a week later! He seemed to know what was wrong with out even without looking at the unit. He got out from his pocket what he called a "catalyst" and inserted it into a vent in the fridge section (behind the bottom chiller draw- facing freezer side). The he told me to switch of the unit for 24 hrs to allow ice blocks on the freezer coils to thaw as they were blocking the cold air circulating and reaching the fridge section?! and that the "catalyst" would prevent this from happening again (so he said!)

Two weeks later I am in the same situation again . I know that switching of the unit for 24hrs would probably fix it (but why should I have to defrost it every 2 weeks!!?). Have contacted Comet and told them it was only repaired 2 weeks ago! (no sympathy from them) told will have to wait six days b4 the engineer can visit!! It seems from reading this forum and others that it is a design fault and both RS20 and RS21 models seem to suffer from it. So folks avoid Samsung and tells your friends also.
    • shona
    • By shona 27th Apr 07, 6:50 PM
    • 462 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    shona
    Hi
    our RS21NCSV has been doing the same thing - lots of noise, then extra noise when the door opens, then the temperature started fluctuating in the fridge too.
    Called a local Samsung engineer. He said needs at least a new sensor, maybe more, maximum 200 to fix.
    We swithered as replacement fridge would be at least 550, but 200 seems a lot...
    Then, found this thread!
    So we have emptied fridge, defrosted back with hairdrier all round sensor etc, then cut away polystyrene round where the fan turns.
    All back together no... 24 hours later all going well...
    Can anyone else who tried this tell us what might happen next?!

Shona
    (fingers crossed)
  • stefd
    Bought my Samsung RS21DCNS with the fault of overheating fridge. As i'm a service Engineer for electrical & gas in the catering trade and most things don't phase me (taking a gamble).
    The original fault was with the circulating fan faulty & not working, replaced with a new one from ebay 18 posted.
    Worked fine for two weeks & now has the evaporator frozen up..
    After taking advice from this & the white goods forum defrosted the fridge & modified the drain below the fan unit (made larger). (testing in progress)
    site for samsung spares
    http://www.4mysamsung.co.uk/cgi-bin/search.pl?query=samsung%20RS21DCNS&brand=samsung&m odel=RS21DCNS&path=111066&model_pre=RS21DCNS
    Originally posted by fkinugly

Hi,
    I have the same problem with my RS21.. defrosted once already, dont feel like doing this every couple of weeks..
    did your modification work ? what exactely did you do ?
    • kwatt
    • By kwatt 18th May 07, 12:18 AM
    • 695 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    kwatt
    I give it... here's the deal folks...

Samsung say that there's no issue with these machines. I beg to differ.

On my site, see the profile if you like, there are various threads running on especially the RS20/21 series and there's loads of issues whether Samsung care to acknowledge them or not. Basically Samsung, or someone from Samsung does read, monitor and respond to these threads although this week they've been AWOL so far.

There are various thermistor issues as well as a baffle plate/fan motor issue, this is the big slab of plastic at the back of the fridge. Ice builds up behind it, airflow problem, noise... etc.

The parts are actually available somewhat cheaper (consider the carriage charges as well) than the site mentioned but, since it's my own that sells them I dare not publish the URL in case I get zapped for spamming. However, taking a punt, there's a load of info on the basics from this link which I only published a few days ago. It was written by myself and a Samsung trained engineer. A basic guide to frost free refrigeration can be found here

I cannot claim to be an expert on these machines, but I might know one or two people that are.

I appreciate the modifications but I cannot endorse them as you're relying on this thing keeping your food safe and, in an air driven environment such as this, airflow rates are absolutely vital. The poster that works in the catering trade should know this, temperature stability is all important, adverse variations will cause accelerated decay in foodstuffs, end of story. Frankly, I will place my family being well in front of a few quid on a part any day of the week.

If you have got one of these machines and it's not gone faulty, get insurance before it does.

If you have one and it's under 2 years old Samsung products are guaranteed for two years, all you need is the purchase receipt and it will be repaired totally free of charge.

K.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. Its what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
    • kwatt
    • By kwatt 18th May 07, 12:30 AM
    • 695 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    kwatt
    I was 90% certain I was going to buy the RS21DCSV. Does anyone know if this is one of the ones affected, or if it has been modified since these problems come to light?
    Or should I just spend the extra 150 and get a whirlpool?? Or is an LG any good??
    Originally posted by rockette
    Hi Rockette,

No, don't buy any of the three. Spend that little, tiny bit extra and buy a Maytag. It's really American and really solid as well as a lot better value IMO.

Whirlpool, made in Italy and fraught with problems. Electronic card failures (reputedly resolved, but doubts remain), stupid, stupid parts prices as we just had some poor chap paying nearly 200 for a set of baskets and problems with doors.

LG, made in Korea and if you can get any aftersales service then better you than I.

Samsung, well, just read this thread. Aftersales service a joke and build quality... what build quality?

To be fair the Koreans are working overtime trying to put the issues right and do try really hard, but they don't just fall down on aftersales, they collapse totally.

I've yet to test both side by side as it were and I have asked both for current models for that very purpose but, as yet, no reply from either.

But hold off if you're thinking on buying a Samsung as there is a raft of new models on the way (there usually is with the Koreans) which "supposedly" address all the issues with the current range/s. If you want a cheap pig-in-the-poke though, as soon as the new models touch down look for clearance offers on the RS21's.

K.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. Its what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
  • gfb
    Samsung DIY Repair Instructions For The Fan Problem
    Samsung RS21 DIY Repair Instructions For The Fan Problem
    ---------------------------------------------------

Many Many thanks to all of you who have posted their comments above. Because of the details of your experience and the remedial action taken, I was able to fix the problem myself and saved around £200 worth of the engineer's cost, plus lot of food that would have been spoiled while waiting for the engineer to come. Thanks a lot once again.

Now about my experience. What I am going to write now will be very helpful to others who will or are having this same problem, i.e., the fridge not cooling. I am going to write the DIY instructions to fix it yourself. It is very simple. I did it myself in an hour or so. It took that long because I did not have any instructions and I was being very careful not to break anything. But first, my experience, i.e., how the problem started, so as to give an idea of early symptons of this issue.

Two days back, my fridge got very noisy. At that time, I did not know what happened as I am not a mechanic/engineer. I know now that lot of ice had accumulated around the fan inside the fridge's cooling unit and it was blocking the fan from smoothly running. The noise was coming when the fan was hitting against the ice. Then next day, the noise stopped. The ice conquered the fan and stopped it completely from rotating. At that time, I thought the problem (whatever it was, I thought) had rectified itself. But next day, I noticed that the food inside is not cold as usual and the fridge temperature was showing 17 degrees. Now I know that since the fan was not moving, it was not circulating the air and the top levels were warmer than the bottom ones. No matter how many times I tried to set the temperature to 2 degrees, it reverted back to 17 and did not come down. I switched ON the Power Freeze button but it only brought the temperature down by 1 degree. I thought that the machinery to cool down the fridge has broken down and I was so disappointed because my machine was out of warranty period now (bought some 2 1/2 years ago). I put all the food in the bottom racks, which was cooler than the upper parts (since the cooling things are at the bottom). I logged onto the Internet to see if there is something about this issue and thankfully, found this forum. After reading all your experiences, I decided to give it a go myself. The only problem was that there was no information about the location of the fan. So it took a bit of time to explore the fridge and then I thought that I'll update this forum with the detailed instructions so that others know how to do it.

Instructions:
    1. Switch off the Fridge and take the plug out of the socket for safety.
    2. The cooling fan is inside the fridge. So do not open the fridge from behind as it is not accesible from there. I wasted some time opening the back first and searching the fan there. There is one fan there also but it is to cool the machinery. Ignore that. The problematic fan is inside the Fridge compartment.
    3. Take out all tray and baskets from the Fridge.
    4. Now open the Light Panel. There is only one screw on the top and various catches that you have to release (I believe 3 on both side and 1 on top and 1 at the bottom). Use a small flat screwdriver to push the catches inside to release. Refer to your user manual which has detailed instructions with diagrams to do this. Or if you have not kept the manual, download it from: http://www.samsung.com/support/productsupport/download/query.aspx?keyword=RS21DCMS.
    5. When you remove the cover, the bulbs will be exposed. The bulbs are attached to another panel and you have to take that out as well. This panel has 3 screws, from top to bottom, at regular intervals. Unscrew and take out the panel. Please note that there are 2 set of wires in the back of this panel, attached to sockets. So remove the panel a little bit and take the wires out of the sockets to detach the panel from the fridge. Also keep in mind that this panel has 2 small extended points at the bottom, which go in 2 slits. So you'll have to tilt it from top and then move it up to take it out from the slits.
    6. Now you'll have to take out the bottom panel which has the offending fan on the back of it. First, you'll have to take out the air filter on both sides of the panel. You'll have to press the catch on the air filters to release them (see user manual). The screws are inside this space. One screw each inside the air filter compartment and two screws at the bottom. Unscrew all 4 of them and you'll also have to unscrew the coolant pipe attached to this panel so that you can move this panel around freely. If you are opening it for the first time, please note that the rubber gasket around the edge of the panel will be stuck with glue to the inside of the fridge. Gently applying pressure, remove the panel outwards also taking care that you don't break the coolant tube pipe in front of the panel (it's not that difficult, but thought I should warn you). This panel also has wires attached to the sockets. These are for the fan/motor. Take them out so you can detach the panel from the fridge and take it away.
    7. The fan is on the back of this panel. The motor and the fan are on a metal plate and that plate is attached to the back of this panel. The back of this panel has a cavity and the fan revolves around in that cavity. The ice will be inside this cavity. For convenience, I unscrewed the metal plate (4 screws) to have more space to take care of the ice. As suggested by beebee1 above, I used the hair dryer to melt ice inside this cavity. It was rock solid and took some time to melt all of it. My wife suggested later that hot water would have melted the ice quickly. Good idea. I'll try that next time when this happens. You can take it to the sink so that the melting water from the ice do not create a mess.
    8. When you melt the ice, you'll notice that there is a slit at the bottom of this round cavity, which is used for outlet of the water when the ice melts during defrosting process. Make sure that you melt all the ice around this slit and also the outlet below it. When you are satisfied that you've melted all the ice, it is better if you pour water in the cavity (where the fan rotates). The water should flow smoothly through the slit at the bottom and out of the outlet below. As suggested by shamrockabc's engineer above, I widened the slit (drain hole) to allow more easy outlet of the water. The slit was in the Thermocol, so it was not difficult to widen the gap.
    8. That's it. All done. Now do the above steps in reverse order, i.e., putting the plates, panels etc. in the same way (and in reverse order) that you started with.
    9. Switch on the Fridge after it is assembled back and the trays etc. are put back in. Set the temperature to your required level (see user manual to set the temperature, if you have forgotten about it) and the fridge will start working to achieve that. After some time, you'll get your desired level of temperature.

Since the water does not drip on any motor or any such electrical parts, you can start the Fridge straightaway. No need to leave it for drying as there is nothing to dry. You can clean the inside of the fridge for hygiene purpose, for minor water spillages, but that's it.

I hope the above instructions will be helpful to get it done yourself. It is very simple to do and doesn't take much time.

My fridge is working perfectly since then. Very pleased!
    Last edited by gfb; 18-09-2007 at 12:10 PM.
  • milkydrink
    Our one is just over 6 months old and the water filter light has come on. We have no intention of changing it just yet as we live in a soft water area
    Originally posted by FirstClassMale
    I change mine every 6 months as I worry that it might not be safe to drink if it were left go longer. You can get them on ebay really cheap, just make sure you get the ones with the right fittings.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 14th Jun 07, 11:55 AM
    • 39,572 Posts
    • 163,718 Thanks
    silvercar
    Thanks to gfb for that long post, I've saved it in Word in case the inevitable happens. (search facilities on this site are a let down). Samsung only a year old so holding my breathe.
  • gfb
    Thanks to gfb for that long post, I've saved it in Word in case the inevitable happens. (search facilities on this site are a let down). Samsung only a year old so holding my breathe.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    Glad to hear that my efforts are appreciated.

This is bound to happen, so keep hold of the instructions (I've made minor updates to the instructions above, so please copy it again). As soon as you hear anything funny, take out the fan and defrost it, unless it is in warranty period. In that case, leave it for the engineer.

Best thing will be to do this on a regular basis, i.e., before so much ice accumualtes that it stops the fan from working.
    • gregg1
    • By gregg1 14th Jun 07, 1:53 PM
    • 3,007 Posts
    • 4,131 Thanks
    gregg1
    I was fortunate enough to get the problem repaired within the two year guarantee period but I rang a trading standards department listed in Yellow Pages, at the begining of the listings, who said I could have grounds for complaint AFTER the warranty had expired.

He explained the Goods and Services Act, written at the begining of the Yellow Pages, which lasted for six , yes six, years after the product was purchased. I told him about a design fault, which he thought was a good reason for them to repair the product outside the warranty period.

He told me to put my complaint in writing to Samsung and quote the Goods and Services Act. He advised me to mention that I had contacted the local trading standards department , who were aware of the complaint. They had to reply within a week, I think.

I didn't go down this route but for those who do "Good luck"

Shamrock.
    Originally posted by shamrockabc
    This happened to me as well. Samsung American fridge freezer just out of warranty, fridge stopped working. Samsung did not want to know. Rang Trading Standards and they said I needed to write to Currys where we bought it asking them to repair it. They reckoned I had a good case but in the end could not wait for the fridge to be fixed so called out someone to sort it. Turned out it was a build up of ice round fan bit. Once defrosted, it worked fine. Now I think about it, ours had started to make a funny noise just before it packed up.

It really pees me off when a company as big as Samsung can fob people off when there is quite obviously a manufacturing fault with these fridges.
  • samsung.tech.guy
    Samsung Help
    defrosting the appliance/fan assy will only delay the problem, it will come back,

you need to replace 3 items, to ensure a repair success,

1st cover assy
    2nd defrost sensor
    3rd thermal fuse,

these can be replaced if you are diy minded,and can be sourced of the internet, but you need to make sure you get the latest versions of these spares as samsung have made about 3 different versions and theres a lot of spares out there that are not the latest version.

we can supply a kit with everything you need to cure this fault,
    but im not sure i can list my email add,..
    if theres a demand for our repair kit, and we can post email add i will ??

ps we are authorised samsung agents, so we know what we are talking about??

tech guy,
  • louisg
    Hi Rockette,

No, don't buy any of the three. Spend that little, tiny bit extra and buy a Maytag. It's really American and really solid as well as a lot better value IMO.

Whirlpool, made in Italy and fraught with problems. Electronic card failures (reputedly resolved, but doubts remain), stupid, stupid parts prices as we just had some poor chap paying nearly 200 for a set of baskets and problems with doors.

LG, made in Korea and if you can get any aftersales service then better you than I.

Samsung, well, just read this thread. Aftersales service a joke and build quality... what build quality?

To be fair the Koreans are working overtime trying to put the issues right and do try really hard, but they don't just fall down on aftersales, they collapse totally.

I've yet to test both side by side as it were and I have asked both for current models for that very purpose but, as yet, no reply from either.

But hold off if you're thinking on buying a Samsung as there is a raft of new models on the way (there usually is with the Koreans) which "supposedly" address all the issues with the current range/s. If you want a cheap pig-in-the-poke though, as soon as the new models touch down look for clearance offers on the RS21's.

K.
    Originally posted by kwatt
    Maytag are a bit more than a tiny bit extra for a GC2225GEKS your looking at 1999
    • kwatt
    • By kwatt 17th Jun 07, 12:47 AM
    • 695 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    kwatt
    You can get a Maytag online for a lot less than that, unless of course you want it fully clad in stainless steel. You see the model you chose to cite is a fully clad in stainless steel model, not a kid on spray paint job as most others use and it is a decent grade of stainless that won't tarnish.

But here's a question for you...

How do you make a BMW for the price of a KIA?

The answer is that you can't. You either pay for the quality or you don't, both do the same thing get you from A to B, just as a Samsung keeps stuff cool, just like a Maytag or any other fridge/freezer.

Unlike cars, which are primarily mechanical devices just as appliances are, people accept with cars that they simply have to pay to get quality of build and performance and yet, when it comes to appliances, people expect Rolls Royce performance and build for Mini money. Sorry, but that's just not living in the real world.

Or. like cars, you live with a compromise on price against specification, features, performance and longevity.

The reality is that appliances aren't seen as being a "sexy" item, purely functional and therefore people try to spend as little as possible and, at the same time expect miracles.

I do apologise if the opinion causes any upset, but sadly, it is the truth that applies to all appliances.

K.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,653Posts Today

8,054Users online

Martin's Twitter