Granite Worktops - Truth, Lies and misinformation

Comments

• Innys
    Innys Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    Hi Alan, and anybody else who knows their stuff!

I'm at the point where i need to order my worktop - budget is really stretched now, so have to keep costs sensible. Don't have exact measurements but need two lengths apparantly, with cut out for sink and hob, and also have a peninsular. Don't really want black granite, prefer light coloured quartz to go with a cream gloss kitchen.
    If black granite is going to be much cheaper will have to go for that, bit do not want the sparkly one.

Don't know where the best value supplier is in my area - near to Gatwick. Are the independents better thans say Howdens or Magnet (kitchen was bought from DIY kitchens online).

Any recommendations please?

Thanks in advance

Alan recommnded me a firm called Mole Valley Masonry in the summer very close to Gatwick and I used them. A good service and keenly priced.
  • Innys wrote: »
    Alan recommnded me a firm called Mole Valley Masonry in the summer very close to Gatwick and I used them. A good service and keenly priced.

Thank you - they are very close to me - going to see them tomorrow.

Cheers
  • Alan_M_2
    Alan_M_2 Posts: 2,752 Forumite
    Good chaps at MVM.

Martin runs the business side, Graham runs the manufacturing. You'll get a good job through them.
  • Thank you - will post photos when done!
  • Myser
    Myser Posts: 1,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 January 2012 at 12:23AM
    Does anyone know what the best thing to use to seal a gap where two granite work surfaces meet in a kitchen (L-shape)?

I tried black flexible Unibond anti-bacterial kitchen sealant but that has worn away. One of the granite worktops does lift very sightly.

When the granite worktops were installed, the installers used some sort of solvent-based compound which was two-part and mixed. It dried solid but after a couple of years cracked and has come loose.

Thanks.
    If my post hasn't helped you, then don't click the 'Thanks' button! ;)
  • Alan_M_2
    Alan_M_2 Posts: 2,752 Forumite
    You need to address the movement issue in reality.

The product originally used was probably Akemi resin two pack or other trade name similar. It's designed to set solid and will not tollerate any movement.

If you can't or don't want to fix the movement you'll need a heavy duty product like Sikaflex joint sealant (available in black).

Mask both side of the joints, fill with sealant, remove the masking and "cut" the excess compound out with a sharp blade before it goes off. (Stanley blade just held between your fingers). That should give a neat finish.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    edited 27 January 2012 at 2:39PM
    I can thoroughly recomend this stuff.

Ebay Item number: 270869237396

Admittedly not used it on granite but for a super heavy duty construction adhesive it takes some beating. Never had this stuff fail yet. Can be applied as Alan suggests and then a spirit wipe rubbed along the seam and it gives a great finish.

Don't get too much on your fingers, sticks like carp to a blanket;)

I think you need to make carefull adjustment to the cabinet legs to stop the movement.

edited to add;

Actually there's another 1 here,

Item number: 140662614107

I'm going to try that myself as it claims to do everything the other 1 does but cheaper.:money:
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Myser
    edited 27 January 2012 at 2:50PM
    I'm not sure how different these are to the flexible Unibond Kitchen sealant I used:

http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/tiles/adhesives-sealants/sealants/Unibond-Anti-Stain-Kitchen-Sealant-Black-9786743

This has pealed away after a while.

As Alan says, I may look into trying to prevent the movement or otherwise use Sikaflex joint sealant - if it isn't too expensive.

I don't really want to buy big tubes of anything really.

Let me know how you get on with your purchase from eBay. Do you also have worktops that lift slightly too?

I would prefer something that is safe to use on kitchen worktops.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Myser wrote: »
    I'm not sure how different these are to the flexible Unibond Kitchen sealant I used:

http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/tiles/adhesives-sealants/sealants/Unibond-Anti-Stain-Kitchen-Sealant-Black-9786743

This has pealed away after a while.

As Alan says, I may look into trying to prevent the movement or otherwise use Sikaflex joint sealant - if it isn't too expensive.

I don't really want to buy big tubes of anything really.

Let me know how you get on with your purchase from eBay. Do you also have worktops that lift slightly too?

I would prefer something that is safe to use on kitchen worktops.

Check the spec of the stuff I quoted it is food safe.

And no, I don't have movement in my tops, I levelled the bases correctly before the tops were fitted, possibly not your fault but someones.

Q, Why the concern over a tenner if the £1000 tops are loose???:A
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Myser
    Yes, the worktops and kitchen units were fitted by someone else!

How is the granite worktop likely to be attached to the kitchen unit bases - screws and plugs?

Any ideas how I could stop the movement?

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure